SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do you like for a new lever gun?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you like for a new lever gun? Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I entertained the same idea. I was interested in the .38SPL as I didn't want to add another caliber to my shopping list (I know, a stupid reason...).

I heard a lot of the same tales told here. I went to the nearest Browning dealer, about 90 minutes away, only to find they were out of stock. Want to be notified? Sure, I said. Heard nothing for over six months. By then, my interest and money had gone elsewhere.

I have a Henry .22LR lever-action. It's fun to shoot, but the front loader is a turn off.

Let us know what you decide.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great recommendations guys! SO, have done some looking based on the opinions in this thread, here's what I've found so far.

- Don't really like the tube feed on the Henry
- People think used Pre-Rem Marlins are made of gold
- People think new stainless Marlins are made of sterling silver
- Winchesters are nice! But more than I'm willing to spend and no stainless
- Rossi doesn't show a current production .357 and I'd prefer US made on this particular gun
- Take down models are neat but it's a feature I'd never use on this gun

So, In summary my choices are:

A. Deal with the funky feeding of the Henry. In all reality, the odds of me doing a combat reload with it are slim to none.
B. Wait and look all over hells creation for a suitable Marlin at a fair price.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I searched several months ago at all you've mentioned but in 45colt to go with a couple saa I have. I looked at just about everything out there and settled on a stainless rossi 20" m92, I paid $600 new old stock. I really liked the looks of the henry but the loading method just dropped it off the list, plus it is HEAVY. New Winchesters were priced to high for me for a paper puncher and the uberti and other replicas though very nice were just to much money.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
See if you can find a Browning B-92 1892.

Funny boy. Have you seen the prices of Brownings lately? Smile OK, you also don't live in prime lever gun territory. That's way up Nawth in hated yankee country. If you go on vacation, consider taking a few days to swing through PA, MI, MN, WI. Good guns are much easier to find, but you'll get discouraged by all the .30-30 guns you see at really nice prices.

The Blues Brothers were on a mission from God. I applaud your efforts, but can't help you. If you limit your search to Marlin, you'll probably be limiting the available guns pretty much. The Brownings are going to be Japanese Mirakou but its a fine M92 reproduction. I was looking for one in 44, and turned down the few I saw. Ended up buying M1894 from back in the late 60s. Be careful when you decide, you may be buying a problem.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I guess sometimes I'm not much of a traditionalist. I liked shooting a friend's BLR Lightweight in .223 a year or so ago. A box mag isn't very 'western', but at least the ammo is plentiful. But I'm just waiting for the day some leftist deems it 'an assault lever action'.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
After looking extensively, I decided that I was going with a Henry. I was in the same quandry. I was looking at .35, .30-30, and 45-70.

Because I Hog Hunt, I went with the 45-70, and chose the “All-Weather” model. It’s packed and ready as I leave on a hunt Sunday
https://imgur.com/a/iFRai
I cannot find much I don’t like about this beast!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I've got a Rossi in 357/38. Love it!

16" barrel-it's right handy and hides well under a rear seat of a truck.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Big Boy in .327 fed is my next lever gun.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
After looking extensively, I decided that I was going with a Henry. I was in the same quandry. I was looking at .35, .30-30, and 45-70.

Because I Hog Hunt, I went with the 45-70, and chose the “All-Weather” model. It’s packed and ready as I leave on a hunt Sunday
https://imgur.com/a/iFRai
I cannot find much I don’t like about this beast!

Nice! What scope are you running on there?

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R K9 J:
Always hear good things about Henry.

I have an older Winchester 94 Trapper in 44mag that I got to mate with my S&W 4" 629 (no dash). Outside of being in my safe together, never had those two with me at the same time in all the time I have owned them. Little Winchester is a great gun.

Also have a Marlin GSBL 45-70 that has a Wild West trigger and Skinner sights ... amazing rifle. Almost have to change my underwear when I rack a round.

I have the same basic set up, Win. 94 Trapper in .44 mag and a S&W M29-4 instead of a M629. Unlike you however I used to hunt deer with the Win. and the M29 on my hip when hunting in heavy brush. It's a great combination.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Browning 92's are basically a Winchester 92 updated with better steel and made in Japan,

that is not a bad thing, and they are fantastic rifles that tend to hold their value

Rossi 92's are under rated, folks see the Rossi name and steer clear, for no good reason,
they are great rifles, (and owned by Taurus now)
the new ones do have a funky safety on the bolt IIRC,

or go for an older Marlin or Winchester ,

all will do you well,

Henry would be my last choice of what has been mentioned

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And whats the word on Taylors (Uberti)?

Had my eye on this ANIB beauty, but I don't want to buy just based on looks.

Anyone who has one chime in...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747208281

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm getting closer and closer to pulling in a Mossberg 464. A wha?

Yep, Guns & Ammo profiled them a few years ago and found them to be very nice, very affordable lever action rifles in .30-30 Winchester.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
Browning 92's are basically a Winchester 92 updated with better steel and made in Japan

I thought they were all Miroku these days?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
Browning 92's are basically a Winchester 92 updated with better steel and made in Japan

I thought they were all Miroku these days?

they are, kinda,

some Winchesters are/were made in the USA,

the browning labeled Winchesters models (94/1885/95 etc) are all miroku made (hence the comment made in japan)

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
And whats the word on Taylors (Uberti)?

Had my eye on this ANIB beauty, but I don't want to buy just based on looks.

Anyone who has one chime in...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747208281

had a couple thru the shop,
never got a chance to shoot one,

good quality, nicely done, no complaints from those that bought them

did have a brass frame uberti 1866 come thru that the finish tarnished up a bit, otherwise it was good to go

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
The new (to me anyway) Long Ranger from Henry looks really interesting in .243.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite guns is my Henry Big Boy in 38spl/357 magnum.

The sling is from BrassStacker:

https://brassstacker.com/Henry/

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have been having a hankering for a Marlin 336Y 30-30 youth model. It would be a handy rifle with the 16.5" barrel. A slip on recoil pad (I'm tall) would help add some length to the shorter stock. The Marlin quality issues seems to have improved.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post