SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do you like for a new lever gun?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you like for a new lever gun? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-Remington 1894 in .357 Mag, as well as a "Remlin" 1895 in .45-70. In my experience, the "Remlin" hate may be a bit overblown. My 1895 is easily the equal to my 1894 in fit and finish. It has nice wood and beautiful bluing. The action is a tad rougher on the 1895, but I attribute that mostly to it being a new gun that hasn't had a chance to wear in like the 1894 that has hundreds of rounds through it. The triggers are the same on both...pretty mediocre...both could benefit from a good working over by a smith.

The biggest downside to the "Remlin" are the plastic sights and the stupid safety, but Marlin had implemented that well before Remington came along. I did have to drift the front sight on the 1895 quite a bit to the left to get it on paper, but once I did that and found a load it likes, it's a real tack driver.

All that to say, I wouldn't count out a Marlin just because it's a newer model. Not sure I'd but one sight unseen, but if you can look it over and verify that everything is as it should be before purchasing, they are still turning out some nice, serviceable guns.

Posts: 8526 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I have a pre-Remington 1894 in .357 Mag, as well as a "Remlin" 1895 in .45-70. In my experience, the "Remlin" hate may be a bit overblown. My 1895 is easily the equal to my 1894 in fit and finish. It has nice wood and beautiful bluing. The action is a tad rougher on the 1895, but I attribute that mostly to it being a new gun that hasn't had a chance to wear in like the 1894 that has hundreds of rounds through it. The triggers are the same on both...pretty mediocre...both could benefit from a good working over by a smith.

The biggest downside to the "Remlin" are the plastic sights and the stupid safety, but Marlin had implemented that well before Remington came along. I did have to drift the front sight on the 1895 quite a bit to the left to get it on paper, but once I did that and found a load it likes, it's a real tack driver.

All that to say, I wouldn't count out a Marlin just because it's a newer model. Not sure I'd but one sight unseen, but if you can look it over and verify that everything is as it should be before purchasing, they are still turning out some nice, serviceable guns.

Perhaps with Remington's bankruptcy they will sell off Marlin to someone who can make it great again, like Ruger!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
And whats the word on Taylors (Uberti)?

Had my eye on this ANIB beauty, but I don't want to buy just based on looks.

Anyone who has one chime in...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/747208281

Taylor's http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/ and Cimarron http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/ guns are all made by Uberti in Italy. They are just slightly upgraded. Any Cowboy Action shooter will then send it out to a gunsmith anyway for an action job, so save your money and cut out the middle man.

Beretta owns Uberti, so if you buy a Beretta Renegade, you'll be getting a Uberti too.
Me shooting my .357 Uberti and my Lever Action 12 gauge at BisleyBlackhawk's club.

Click on image to go to video:
Rolan Lead Mine 2017 Stage 6 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ I do believe that bear was wearin' people's clothes Smile

Posts: 3505 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
"Uberti 1873 Short Rifle!"
very excellent tool

As an old cowboy match shooter myself, I came to prefer the tuned Uberti version of nearly any lever gun. My own 73 was a disappointment until a little sweetening.....

Nice stage there Rolan.

re: lists of good things/etc
IMHO, no order:

1) under tube lever guns are slower to reload;

2) Win 94 just don't shine for speed events due to the internal design resembling more an agricultural implement at work;

3) The several Rossi 92s I had were exceptionally reliable, accurate enough for the cowboy game, and reasonably priced; They too are rather slower;

4) Marlin 1895 was a delight with minimal tune;

Hard to go wrong in any case. These comments are all regarding pistol caliber carbines.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently got an taylor 1886 win 45/70. It is a Chiappa very nice gun. Fit and finish is very good case hardened steel 26in hex barrel.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Turnbull-finished 1892 end of last year in 44 Magnum. I love my 44M handguns, and a matching rifle made a lot of sense. Yes, the base rifle is made in Japan, but the fit and finish are superb. The octagonal barrel is awesome, and Turnbull removes the safety and it functions just like my '68 Buffalo Bill Model 94. 30 rounds through the factory sites and she is perfect, lots of fun to handle and shoot.

Posts: 140 | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I guess lately I like a pre-Remington Marlin 1894S 44 Magnum for a lever gun. I bought one today. Built in 1990.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Texas Bob C.,

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post