SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do you like for a new lever gun?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you like for a new lever gun? Login/Join 
posted
Have the itch for a lever for some reason, maybe something to keep my new generation S&W Model 66 company. Was thinking of .38/.357 to keep things simple, I don't need this to hunt with. Truck use every now and then? Was on the Henry website and the All Weather stainless/black caught my eye. Any others I should be looking at?

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be new? An older pre-Remington Marlin lever gun is a great choice, for example, and lightly used examples can be found.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer new for some reason, it's hard finding decent deals on new ones in my area. They tend to think everything is a Civil War collectible here in Middle TN. From what I understand the older the Marlin the better, the new ones are Remington-esque from what I hear.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a Browning B-92 1892.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A new lever gun? A used, pre-Remington Marlin of course.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A pre-Rem Marlin would be my first choice, but you will be looking at high prices for a decent one.

You might check out Rossi lever rifles. I understand that their quality has improved a lot.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the first Remington produced Marlins were junk. I know because I owned a couple! But recently produced guns seem to be back with up with the JM Marlin guns quality wise. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another new Marlin.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a Henry big boy in 357. It's a nice rifle.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Marlin 1894 CSS
Henry All Weather for use or “Big Boy” for pretty

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
...An older pre-Remington Marlin lever gun is a great choice...

Excuse my ignorance, but how does 1 identify a pre-Remington Marlin?

Might start looking for my first lever gun.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I have a Henry big boy in 357. It's a nice rifle.

I have a Henry in 45 LC. Very nice craftsmanship to the rifle.

I believe the 357/38 versions are not easy to come across. It's what I originally wanted but they didn't have any and I "needed" a lever action. Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
...An older pre-Remington Marlin lever gun is a great choice...

Excuse my ignorance, but how does 1 identify a pre-Remington Marlin?

Might start looking for my first lever gun.

The barrel will be stamped (separate from the serial number) with the letters jm.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Thanks apprentice. After I posted my question I started looking around. There was some debate about whether or not, during the merger, if there were barrels that were stamped JM, but installed by REM. then, I read this, and it sounds like this guy worked for Marlin...

https://www.glocktalk.com/thre...tion-rifles.1520686/

"To my knowledge NO "JM" Proofmarked Barrels EVER left North Haven Marlin.
We kept making Barrels & Receivers up to December 2010 even after ALL our Assembly Equipment was sent to Remington in August 2010.
The Barrels were Rollstamped with North Haven Marlin by us, and Ilion, but you can't Proof Test & Proofmark a Barrel on a rifle that has NOT been Assembled.
Those Receivers would have had North Haven Marlin Serial Numbers Stamped into them, but when Assembled & Proof Tested in Ilion,NY Remington they would have had "REP" Proofmarks on their Barrels. Remington made Receivers would have the "MRxxxxxxxxx" Serial Numbers Stamped.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
The first thing you have to decide is: Do you wanna load 'er from the the front or the back? Wink
The Henry's are loaded from up near the front of the magazine tube which I always found to be slow & inefficient. Give one a try before you buy.
Winchester, Marlin, Taylor and others load from the traditional loading gate on the right hand side of the receiver.
My vote: Winchester 92 or 94 in .357. I have one of each and they are "a hoot to shoot"! Smile

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP like you I've been lookin around, but I have no experience with these...maybe some of the guys do.

These looks interesting...if you like 16" bbl. (Threaded...not sure if you can get it w/o threaded barrel).

https://www.marlinfirearms.com...-1894/model-1894-cst

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com...added-stock-end.html

20" bbl.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com...es/1892-alaskan.html

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Rossi 92 that I have been nothing but pleased with. Nice looking gun in 45 colt. They make them in 357/38 as well.

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yeah... 98% of all the Marin's ever made are pre-Remington, but somehow they're very rare now and priced accordingly. Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
What are the issues with the Remington Marlins?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sloppy assembly, canted barrels, poor finishing, if memory serves.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always hear good things about Henry.

I have an older Winchester 94 Trapper in 44mag that I got to mate with my S&W 4" 629 (no dash). Outside of being in my safe together, never had those two with me at the same time in all the time I have owned them. Little Winchester is a great gun.

Also have a Marlin GSBL 45-70 that has a Wild West trigger and Skinner sights ... amazing rifle. Almost have to change my underwear when I rack a round.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post