SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do I need to use a 9mm upper on my SBR lower AR15?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I need to use a 9mm upper on my SBR lower AR15? Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
I'd like to get a 10" or so barrelled 9mm upper to use suppressed. I already have a SBR'd lower, in 5.56. I'd like to be able to go back and forth between 9mm and 5.56 (though I realize this will at minimum involve installing a magwell adapter in the lower). Please educate me on what I would need to accomplish this.
I'm guessing a bolt carrier that works with standard style AR hammer, a magwell adapter, and possibly a different buffer?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
9mm buffer, spring, BCG, mag block and mags. KAK and QC10 are good resources for parts.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Just watch GB and get a cut up ex-PD Colt 9mm AR15 SBR/SMG parts kit. They do appear regularly and are reasonably priced.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2190 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Jse surplus has some complete uppers for 450 right now and come with the pro mag removable insert. They aren't the best but work with colt mags and I hear reliability isn't bad. I had one but never completed it.

Link
http://www.jsesurplus.com/CUST...9MM&utm_medium=email

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are some 9mm mags out there that don't require a magblock. For example, Olympic Arms made 9mm mags that fit in a standard AR magwell.

They're expensive and overly chunky, but may be worth it so you don't have to keep installing/uninstalling the mag block (which typically requires removing the bolt catch each time).

The real downside is that you have to use an Olympic-style upper with integral ejector, so you can't use just any old 9mm upper.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like a lot of people this year PSA's daily emails proved too tempting, especially their 9mm uppers. The one I purchased was listed for their Glock mag lowers. After some research, before I bought, I found out they should work on a milspec lower. So I gambled and won. I can confirm that their 9mm upper for the Glock mag lower will work on a standard lower.

This lead to me looking for a mag block which landed me at http://www.torkmag.com/g-block.html for a Glock mag magwell block.

My G-block was delivered Tuesday and was able to put 50 rounds through it Wednesday without a single issue.

I'm very happy with it and think it is a good option if you already have Glock mags (which I did not) and $75 to spare on one.

Another option for consideration.

Posts: 55 | Location: Middle Tenn | Registered: November 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Verne:
Like a lot of people this year PSA's daily emails proved too tempting, especially their 9mm uppers. The one I purchased was listed for their Glock mag lowers. After some research, before I bought, I found out they should work on a milspec lower. So I gambled and won. I can confirm that their 9mm upper for the Glock mag lower will work on a standard lower.

This lead to me looking for a mag block which landed me at http://www.torkmag.com/g-block.html for a Glock mag magwell block.

My G-block was delivered Tuesday and was able to put 50 rounds through it Wednesday without a single issue.

I'm very happy with it and think it is a good option if you already have Glock mags (which I did not) and $75 to spare on one.

Another option for consideration.

Man I wish I had found that 2 days ago. I ended up tracking down a pro mag block and settling on that because affordable magwell adapters are becoming neigh on impossible to find.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
Just watch GB and get a cut up ex-PD Colt 9mm AR15 SBR/SMG parts kit. They do appear regularly and are reasonably priced.

That's what I did ... extremely happy with the outcome, plus mine came with a 3-round burst trigger that I'd been wanting for my M16(it didn't stay in there long but I wanted to try it) ... The mag-block is held in with the mag catch plus it has tension pins which can be tightened up with an Allen wrench; they slide out of the sides and lock the block into the magwell so drilling and pinning it into the magwell isn't necessary.
Anyway, all the parts are there except the receiver and you know everything works together ... It's a no guess work "build".

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post