SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Please recommend a pressure switch activated light for my SBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please recommend a pressure switch activated light for my SBR Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
Looking for a pressure activated light for my SBR. I had a Streamlight HLX- rail mount, but it seemd much too long for the profile of a 10.3" barreled upper. Also, I felt that it stuch out much to far off of the rifles body, drastically increasing the rifles width. Are there more compact versions of lights out there that anyone might recommend?

Posts: 3750 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The new Surefire dual fuel M600 Scout is pretty sweet. 1500 lumens.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 5148 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use surefire exclusively on serious guns. I normally use the scout versions as I want white and IR light. These are a bit long for very short forends so I have gone with the X300 version on a couple of guns. I think its about as compact a setup as you can make work.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 7298 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Tape switches are garbage, failure points.

Use a Surefire scout 300 with an Arisaka mount, and use the stock tailcap switch.

Posts: 4974 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
X300V or U at 12 o'clock, tried but hate tape switches. I'll use smaller scouts at 10:30 but again use the tailcap.

Posts: 40298 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Surefire mini with their dual switch. Can zip tie it down. I use it on a few rifles including my work rifle. If not that, then an x series at 12 or offset is my preferred.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

OK on the second point. But its not a new failure point. All lights have a switch system. I've had dozens of surefire lights and never seen a pressure switch fail. But of course I have seen a tailcap switch fail.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 7298 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Use a Surefire scout 300 with an Arisaka mount, and use the stock tailcap switch.

You still have the tail cap switch if the tape switch fails.

Posts: 5953 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
Surefire mini with their dual switch. Can zip tie it down. I use it on a few rifles including my work rifle. If not that, then an x series at 12 or offset is my preferred.

This one is my favorite so far

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I also admit I find tape switches uncomfortable to use - I prefer the forward pressure with my thumb to some of the Surefire Tapeswitch solutions I’ve tried.

Posts: 40298 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
I have the Streamlight PROTAC® RAIL MOUNT HL-X LONG GUN LIGHT that is dual fuel as well. It is 1000 lumens. It is reasonably priced and a lifetime warranty.

Posts: 200 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blfuller:
I have the Streamlight PROTAC® RAIL MOUNT HL-X LONG GUN LIGHT that is dual fuel as well. It is 1000 lumens. It is reasonably priced and a lifetime warranty.

I use these on range guns and Surefire on my home defense guns.....not because I think one light is superior to the other but because the pressure pad on the Streamlight is shit compared to the Surefire switch.

Posts: 7222 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should also consider getting a Cloud Defensive pressure pad mount. Slowly getting them for all my light bearing rifles that have pressure pads.

Ive fond that on the pistol and SBR, I prefer the tail cap over the pressure pad.

Posts: 7222 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
I ended up picking up a Crimson Trace CWL-202 for $50 during the Midway sale. For $50, I am very impressed with it, and it was just what I was looking for.

https://www.crimsontrace.com/p...tical-lights/01-8770