SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finished my SBR this morning.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished my SBR this morning. Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I got my tax stamp back a couple of weeks ago. I had it engraved as per regs and it got a few mars from the engraving machine and I just plain didn't like my engraving out there shiny and all. I started with a Colt lower assembly and a Colt Commando upper. I stripped both the upper and lower and cerakoted both and all the small parts Graphite Black. One of my things with milpec parts is having all match in color and finish. I'm always very critical of my own work, but I must say, I love the way this one came out. I took it to the range today and sighted it in. The Acog I pulled off another rifle that is now scoped. I almost changed the grip out to a Larue grip but left it stock. I'm not sure if I'm going to change anything out or leave it. I kind of like it!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
SWEET - that thing is dying for an Aimpoint though.

Very nice SBR!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Looks good! Are those the M4 handguards? They look like they are big enough to have the double heat shields ... One thing I've kind of goner back to is the earlier grip, without the finger groove ... Magpul has one and I got used to it. Anyway my last re-build(?) I ground the finger groove off and smoothed it up ... It didn't look good but it didn't look horiable either

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Nice. I don’t know anything about Commando uppers, is there a standard barrel length or do you have options?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Looks great, for me I like a more vertical grip, makes shooting SBRs much more comfortable on my wrist.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Nice. I don’t know anything about Commando uppers, is there a standard barrel length or do you have options?

Colt Commandos have 11.5" barrels.

https://www.colt.com/detail-pa...mmando-556mm-115-301

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
Looks great, for me I like a more vertical grip, makes shooting SBRs much more comfortable on my wrist.

I am trying to keep the factory hand guard intact. In another thread, I asked about a rail for the bayonet lug that would not involve removing any pins. I've already engraved the lower for my tax stamp then cerakoted upper and lower, so I'm still trying to talk myself mb into removing the factory pins. I believe these hand guards do have double shields.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post