SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Got MY SBR Tax Stamp from ATF
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got MY SBR Tax Stamp from ATF Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I had mostly forgotten I'd even applied. Submission date was 2016-7-8. Just got my notice today.

Now I need to find a good SBR upper.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Definitely the way to do it, submit and forget! I'm assuming this is for an AR - any thoughts on barrel length? I currently have 10.5, 11.5, and 14.5 - with the 11.5" Colt my favorite with my M4SD-II from Griffin. 10.5" is LMT and has run flawlessly for years.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking 10.5. Maybe DD MK18 or LMT. I have 2 LMT MRP rifles and they have been great.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
Did you get a stamp? or did you get a completed and approved form 1?

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have been super happy with my BCM 11.5" KMR, its slick and super light.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terma-nator:
Did you get a stamp? or did you get a completed and approved form 1?

I guess I'm not sure of the difference. They sent me an email notifying me that my submission status was changed to APPROVED and included a PDF attachment of my application with a $200 stamp affixed to it.

Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
If you have the patience or the tools, building it yourself has always been the way to go. However, with how soft the AR market is right now, the world is certainly your oyster. would love to see some pics when it's completed!

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
What barrel length did you specify in your application?
I believe you have to build and retain that configuration before you can build anything else. I was told that you can have an unlimited number of different setups as long as, on demand, you can return it to the configuration that ATF approved.

Any more experienced people want to weigh in?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

Agreed. I added a suppressor to mine as well.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

Agreed. I added a suppressor to mine as well.

Yes, this. Me too.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9686 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I believe you have to build and retain that configuration before you can build anything else. I was told that you can have an unlimited number of different setups as long as, on demand, you can return it to the configuration that ATF approved.

Bruce

I specified 10.3" in the application. I must have had a particular upper in mind when I put that in there, but by now I have certainly forgotten.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

I specified 10.3" in the application. I must have had a particular upper in mind when I put that in there, but by now I have certainly forgotten.

10.3" would probably mean a DD Mk18.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I am glad go hear your stamp has been approved! I sent my application in 3 days after you. I will be one of the last of the pre- 41f apps to be approved. My app went "pending research" for 3 weeks while they figured out the serial number.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bruce

IANAL, but my understanding is that you can have any number of uppers, so long as they are the same length or longer as what is specified on the form. My understanding is that specifying a 10" sbr and then affixing a 4" 9mm barrel to it is a no-no. But again, IANAL.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

Bruce

IANAL, but my understanding is that you can have any number of uppers, so long as they are the same length or longer as what is specified on the form. My understanding is that specifying a 10" sbr and then affixing a 4" 9mm barrel to it is a no-no. But again, IANAL.

Ive always heard you can put any length upper ( or caliber) on it as long as you can put it back to original.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Ive always heard you can put any length upper ( or caliber) on it as long as you can put it back to original.

This is correct.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I love my 8" 300 blackout.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the stamp approval! Mine was approved in February and I just last night finished my SBR upper build!

Now I just have to get it signed in. Unfortunately I most likely won't be able to get to it for two weeks. Frown

The upper build is a Faxon 10.5" pencil weight barrel, Superlative Arms adjustable bleed off gas block, Geisselle dessert dirt ambi charging handle, V7 Weapons System titanium barrel nut, Yankee Hill Manufacturing Phantom QD suppressor mount flash hider, BCM 9" KMR Alpha rail, PSA premium BCG, Anderson manufacturering upper with MagPul MOE FDE BUIS and a Primary Arms 2.5X ACSS reticle prismatic scope.

I have to say one thing about the scope, it is crystal clear! It was $199.95 and I believe it is quite the bargain.

I'm hoping that the barrel preforms as good as it looks. The finish on it is outstanding. I looked it over real good before installing it and I couldn't find a flaw.

The whole package is lightweight and solid. I can't wait to get out and shoot it, zero the BUIS and scope and get the gas block adjusted. I want to see how this thing runs!

To to OP, have fun with your new SBR. Also you can put any length upper on it as long as you are able to configure it back to the original form of whatever is on the paperwork.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
quote:

This is correct.
so if I have a stamp for a 10.5" .556 build, I can put aN 8" .330 BO upper on it as long as I have the original upper (or a length/caliber the same) that'll bring it back to its original configuration?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
quote:

This is correct.
so if I have a stamp for a 10.5" .556 build, I can put aN 8" .330 BO upper on it as long as I have the original upper (or a length/caliber the same) that'll bring it back to its original configuration?

Yes

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post