SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's your favorite copper remover for annual cleaning?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite copper remover for annual cleaning? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:

The subsequent 5-20 shots out of the barrel are a little slower than expected after the cleaning and accuracy may not be quite as good for the first 20 shots but that is not always true. By the 40th round the barrel is reliably back to normal.

Henryrifle

Ya, a clean barrel the first few shots might be a little slow. I'll shoot a match with a clean barrel without hesitation. I believe me as a cold shooter will have a much greater impact on the first few shots then the condition of the barrel. YMMV

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
The subsequent 5-20 shots out of the barrel are a little slower than expected after the cleaning and accuracy may not be quite as good for the first 20 shots but that is not always true. By the 40th round the barrel is reliably back to normal

Ya, a clean barrel the first few shots might be a little slow. I'll shoot a match with a clean barrel without hesitation. I believe me as a cold shooter will have a much greater impact on the first few shots then the condition of the barrel. YMMV

+1
I've shot a number of steel/tactical/precision matches with a clean barrel. I've shot just as many matches where we get a few sight-in rounds prior to the match, and with a clean barrel to start the sight-in. With my bolt action Bartlein barrels, I'm a much greater negative influence as a cold shooter on the POI. I've tested them as cold, clean barrels when I'm warmed up -- still only 2 or 3 rounds before the accuracy and POI is back to normal.

My ARs are a little more noticeable as cold, clean barrel POI & accuracy issues. However, only 2 or 3 rounds get these barrels (Krieger and Wilson) back to normal.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Really learning some good stuff from this post.
I ordered some Montana Extreme as a result. Looking forward to gettin' the copper out with less work.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I got some KG-12 to replace the Butch's Bore Shine I was using. The only down side to the non ammonia cleaners is there is no visual confirmation when the copper is gone. Other than that the KG has been quite effective in bore maintenance.

https://shop.kgcoatings.com/kg...aner-copper-remover/

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post