SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finally strayed from AR and bought a big fish, errr....I mean, SCAR 17S
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally strayed from AR and bought a big fish, errr....I mean, SCAR 17S Login/Join 
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
Q - Congrats on your new rifle; you're gonna love it.

As far as the question of black vs FDE accuracy earlier in the thread; my experience indicates that the black version is more accurate, especially when you get out to 300+ yards. Smile

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Black and Tan, NICE!!!!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats Q, looks sweet. I just sold my unfired 17 and lightly used 716 to a SF member. Hated to let them go. But it was "a need to raise funds" time. Helped to sell to "one of our own." Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Awesome 12131! I bought OTR's SCAR 17 and I was surprised at just how light it really is. Mine is bone stock so I have lots of options going forward. I plan on hitting the range soon .

Vincent, which NF scope do you have on yours? I think that is the route I am going. Just can't decide which one.

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
Vincent, which NF scope do you have on yours? I think that is the route I am going. Just can't decide which one.

That's the NXS 3.5-15x50. To be honest, my first SCAR was the black one and I "over scopped" it. It was just too much glass for how I was using the rifle. But, silly me, instead of changing the glass I decided to buy the FDE one and back off a bit on the optics (Razor GenII 1-6). If I had not gone this route I was thinking real hard about the NF 2-10.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking rifle. Not to mention it packs some serious fire power.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vincent317:
quote:

That's the NXS 3.5-15x50. To be honest, my first SCAR was the black one and I "over scopped" it. It was just too much glass for how I was using the rifle. But, silly me, instead of changing the glass I decided to buy the FDE one and back off a bit on the optics (Razor GenII 1-6). If I had not gone this route I was thinking real hard about the NF 2-10.

Scope needs depend on how the rifle will be used.

I have a ffp NF NXS 3.3-15x on an 18" AR-15. I used this setup in a 2-gun competition last week -- AR targets were at distances of 5 to 500 yards. This scope has a little too much power at distances within 30 or 40 yards, but it functions extremely well at mid- to long distances.

I have a ffp NF ATACR 4-16x on a 20" AR-15. I have used this setup in a couple of competitions, for targets from 25 to 700 yards. I would be hard pressed to find a better option for this use.

A 2-10x scope is also quite useful, depending on purpose. FFP choices include Vortex and Burris. NF is a sfp option.

There are a number LPV options in the 1-4x through 1-6x range. Be sure to look through actual scopes if you go this route. Reticles that look good on paper or on a computer monitor may not be what you want on a rifle. Last week I played with a ffp NF ATACR 1-8x. An unbelievably nice LPV optic, but with a price to match.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last week I played with a ffp NF ATACR 1-8x

That and the NX-8 are on my radar.

posted Hide Post
FDE I mean green with ENVY!

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vincent317:
quote:

I went in the opposite direction. I started out with a Leupold Mk 6 1-6x24.Then went to a Bushnell FDE Tactical Elite G2DMR 3.5-21X50 since almost all my shooting is 100 yards or more. But have used the scope at 3.5X for shorter distances once or twice.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Ahhh sweet niblets! You guys have me drooling with envy!

I just received a Ruger AR-556 for an early birthday present and haven't even gotten to shoot it yet, and now I'm in rifle lust again! LOL

One of these days I might just be able to buy something like that, but not at the moment. Once my medical retirement (hopefully) comes through next month I'll be able to pay off some debts.... only then will I be able to seriously dream about such things. Cool

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4573 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I am waiting, oh so impatiently, for my 17 to come in at the LGS. You guys are making it tough! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas all over again, except now I am biding my time by acquiring all the upgrade parts that I hope to put on the rifle, if it ever arrives.

FN must be hand assembling these things out of pure unobtanium and unicorn farts, I tell you!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats Q, and the rest of youse, there's a LOT of coolness going on in this thread!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Different scopes for different folks.

If I lived out west I’d certainly have more Magnification on most of my rifles. But down south here it’s hard to get more than 100 yard shot, much less a 400-600+ on a regular basis.

So mostly LPVs and red dots for me and mine.

Nice setup everyone!

is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I might as well get in on this. Here are a couple of older pics of mine:

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Gonna have to unsubscribe from this thread posthaste! Eek Roll Eyes Razz

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4573 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Q you asked where to find an AccuPower 1-8, you might check out B&H Photo. They have some great prices.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I'm in the club now!

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WINNING!!!!

Congrats!!!!

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WINNING!!!!

Congrats!!!!

Thank you! I love this thing!

My gray hair went away, I lost 10 pounds and 2 inches off of my waist, I can finally hit a high fastball for power, and I owe it all to my new SCAR-17!

Now, down the next rabbit hole: suppressors!

-ShneaSIG