SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    warning; don't cheap out on Magpul BUIS (counterfeit)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

warning; don't cheap out on Magpul BUIS (counterfeit) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
I bought a new set of "Magpul" BUIS from a top rated ebay seller (I know, I know) around Christmastime and just got around to installing them on my son's AR. Both bases cracked and I didn't really snug them down.
I asked for a refund or exchange and have heard nothing of course. I contacted Magpul and asked if it would be possible to purchase just the bases, the piece that the installation bolt goes through. I figured I could take them apart and back together with some help, and replace the bases which are are defective/cracked.

Magpul CS rep replied very courteously that they didn't make these sights.
"Based on the pictures you sent, and thank you for including those, it appears that those are not Authentic MAGPUL MBUS sights. I can tell by the mounting screw that is used. It is not the same screw that we use. Even though it is stamped MAGPUL USA on the head, the end of the screw is not cut right. Ours is cut flat and the one you have protrudes a bit. Also, the detent for the adjustment wheel is too far exposed."

So I guess I'm SOL. Moral: Buy from a reputable, brick and mortar or internet RETAILER, not ebay scammers, and buy the genuine article.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're in the same boat, I got ripped off on a fake buttstock a few years ago.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Lots of fakes out there. The polymer sights are most commonly faked, but there even fakes of the fancier metal BUIS, like the Troy sights. I had a thread a year or two back in which I compared a genuine Troy to a counterfeit. I was sent the counterfeit in a trade from a long-standing forum member who had no idea it was a fake.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yup. That sucks, but it's fleabay for a reason.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I just don't understand why plastic has to cost so much. Big Grin

I guess there are levels of quality even among plastic bits. These sights seem functional but if you can't screw them to your rifle it's kinda pointless LOL

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
AirSoft types love them, lol.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
1. How did you pay ??
2.,Have you contacted eBay ?

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Go to your eBay home page find the item that you purchased, there should be a link to report seller/item. Even though you are passed the 45 day rule you still may be able get your money back. Counterfeit goods go by different rules with them. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't use ebay in at least 10 years for that reason, I only use reputable vendors and you know what they say if is too good of a price there is a reason.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I was going to buy a "Magpul" foregrip on eBay a few weeks back but the price was way too cheap (around $10) for it not to be a cheap counterfeit. I ended up ordering the real deal from Magpul for $40 and it's good to go.

eBay is flooded with Chinese junk knockoffs, that seems to be 80% of it anymore. Confused

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
This is not an issue that is exclusive to ebay. I have, without a doubt, been sold counterfeit stuff via Amazon too. Caveat emptor!

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.
Mine looks legit, but I didn't think to check before now.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
If you wait around for sales you can get good deals from AIM, Brownells etc.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post