SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Took the PSA-10 to the range
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took the PSA-10 to the range Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted
I decided to acquire a AR-10 based on the thread I started on the RV and a rifle. I ordered a PSA completed upper with lower parts, stripped lower, 2 Magpul Gen 3 magazines, and rear MBUS sight. Put the lower receiver together with no problems. Did a kitchen table bore sighting and finally got to take it to the range. Downloaded and printed the M16 25m zeroing target from www.bobdbob.com. Later found out I had downloaded the politically correct target. Hadn’t realized there was a controversy about silhouettes on targets.

At the range the wife and I measure out exactly 25 meters. Setup the target stand and table. Setup the bench rest with protector bags and settled the rifle in. That target is awfully small at 25 meters for this old mans eyes. May have to get reverse bifocals. Loaded the magazine with three Federal 175 grain match king shells. (Shells or cartridges?) Took aim (did I tell you that target is awfully small) and fired the three rounds. Safed the rifle and we walked to the target. Two holes each in a little box three boxes direct above the center. Third hole one box directly above the hole on the right. I guesstimate that I need four clicks on the front sight counterclockwise. The target also tells me to go in that direction.

Load three more shells in the mag and take the shots. The wife says I must have missed the target cause she can’t see anything with the binoculars. I safe the rifle and we walk down. There are three holes kissing each other dead center of the target. Hot diggity! I tell her I think it it is zeroed and we high five. She could not see the holes cause of the black center.

Load up three more and all three are in the center. Load up three more. Fire two and on the third there is a fail to load a cartridge. Remove mag and reinsert. Same problem. Pull back on charging handle same problem. Put another round in the mag, no dice. Put several rounds in mag with same result. Proceed to take BCG out but it wont come out. Oh Oh! After a few more attempts I look at the back of the BCG and see something is sticking out by the forward assist. Forward assist wont budge. Put the rifle away and setup to shoot my wife’s revolver and my new P365 (range report on that later).

Once home I punch out the roll pin of the forward assist and remove it. BCG slides out easy. Dang! No idea how it malfunctioned. Luckily there appears to be no other damage. I sent a contact form to Palmetto but it seems response to a contact from them takes days. I was super impressed with the rifle up to that point. Seems to be extremely accurate. Was also impressed with the recoil. Very easy, just a little more than an AR-15. I sure after a hundred rounds it might feel different. Hopefully a new forward assist will get it back and running. Maybe I’ll put in a plug for the forward assist.
Will wait on what PSA has to say.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about a PSA AR10. Good to hear they are accurate. Disappointed about the other.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a PA-10 Gen 1 that I've been pretty happy with. My plan is to keep upgrading it until I have a new super nice rifle and the PA-10 as a backup/beater.

Oh and I did have some issues with rounds fully chambering. What I found was that on a new mag, I have to hit the bolt release, not load a mag then charge. It's like it just didn't have enough power to fully seat or something. But that only happened to me remanufactured ammo. I sent it in, they shot 40 rounds through it and sent it back with a note saying they didn't find anything wrong. Was kinda disappointed in that customer service, they could have at least called.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I bought my PSA PA-10 and I really like the way it shoots and how accurate it is.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I have a PA-10 Gen 1 that I've been pretty happy with. My plan is to keep upgrading it until I have a new super nice rifle and the PA-10 as a backup/beater.

Oh and I did have some issues with rounds fully chambering. What I found was that on a new mag, I have to hit the bolt release, not load a mag then charge. It's like it just didn't have enough power to fully seat or something. But that only happened to me remanufactured ammo. I sent it in, they shot 40 rounds through it and sent it back with a note saying they didn't find anything wrong. Was kinda disappointed in that customer service, they could have at least called.

Oh I thought I read somewhere else that some of the problems with rounds failing to fully chamber were due to an overly strong extractor spring. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was kinda disappointed in that customer service, they could have at least called.

They'd probably be on the phone all day. Big Grin Razz

In all seriousness, most companies typically don't call customers with the results of warranty work for a returned firearm, only in limited cases would they do so.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a PSA10 Gen 2 when they had a deal on 18 in stainless barrel upper and a complete lower. this gun would shoot moa all day long until the hand guard separated under fire. about 80 rds. I sent it back and they tightened it up and claimed they shot 60 rds through it with no problems. I received gun and it separated 1/8 in after 60 rds. I finally got a hold of a humanbeing at PSA cs and told them what was going on and they sent me a new upper that has performed flawleesly after that.

You really need to talk to customer service to get anything done, Great guns though!

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh I thought I read somewhere else that some of the problems with rounds failing to fully chamber were due to an overly strong extractor spring. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

That extractor spring is no joke. If you take your extractor off the bolt, you’re going to have a hell of a time getting it back on

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
quote:

That extractor spring is no joke. If you take your extractor off the bolt, you’re going to have a hell of a time getting it back on

Anybody know of a more reasonable replacement?

Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
It has been over a month and I thought I would provide an update. I fixed the forward assist on my own. Not a ding on PSA I just did it. I have taken it twice to the range since and am quite impressed with the rifle. As stated before at 25 meters that target is quite small. Today I was ladder testing two powders with a Sierra 175 grain TMK and was surprised how good things went. Only one shot was outside the silhouette with most inside the circle. Three of the tests had all the shots inside the circle. I also am surprised at the recoil. Not as bad as I expected. Very manageable.

On a bench rest, prone, or on a knee it exceeds my expectations. I am impressed so far. One thing is for sure I am going to have to practice as my old eyes and open sights are a challenge. May have to look at some optics for the rifle and me. My current bifocals are a pain trying to aim.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post