SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Parts Bin 300blackout Rifle Build - opinions wanted
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parts Bin 300blackout Rifle Build - opinions wanted Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
Okay, I'm finally building out my third 300blackout.
This one as a 16" rifle. I'm wanting to use as much from my parts bin as I can, at least initially.
I am using a leftover FDE stock, tangodown stubby (maybe) and a Magpul FDE pistol grip (not on yet).
I found that I have quite a few scopes , red dot / reflex sights & iron sights.
I have only assembled handtight the barrel & handguard.
But I thought it'd be nice to tryout a few different configurations of sights & optics.
I have some FDE flip ups but they are an odd color that doesn't really match.
So I'd buy some BUIS if that's how I decide to go.
I'm looking to use it for 0-200yrds.
Targets, Hogs & Deer but it'll see more target shooting like most ARs.
Having the ability to grab it & use for personal defense is always in the back of my head.

I'm interested in anyone's insight to these configurations.
Pluses & Minuses, etc.
Which one you'd go with & why.
Your opinions are welcome.

Option #1
Micro Red Dot Sight & BUIS

Option #2
3X scope with a reflex sight on a 45° mount

Option #3
3X scope with 45° offset BUIS

Option #4
1-4x24 scope with a reflex sight on a 45° mount

Option #5
1-4x24 scope with 45° offset BUIS

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me on game at 200y I want a scope and one with a bit of magnification.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I wish I had your problem.

I currently own more rifles than I do optics. Frown

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I think 100yrds is my max for game , realistically.
But I will be shooting paper out to 200yrds.
I know the .300blk starts to drop quite a bit beyond that & I'd like to keep the hold overs as simple as possible.
Plus I have bolt actions for longer shots.

Okay so maybe I'm just attempting to justify yet another AR !
Who hasn't done that !?!? LoL

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
My vote is for #4. Scope for critters and targets, reflex for close in social work. With the longer barrel, you might be able to stretch that 200yds out a bit.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
My vote is for #4. Scope for critters and targets, reflex for close in social work.

This is the setup I have for my LAR-8 hog/varmint rifle. I added the 45 reflex after getting surprised by 2 gray foxes. We were using mouth calls (rabbit) and they snuck in behind us while calling. It's hell trying to acquire anything in the scope that's moving fast at 40 feet.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
On a reflex pulling this duty, what are we talking a 50yrd zero?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

I would imagine a 50yd zero with reflex sight would still be okay up to 100yds.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think this is legal for deer in Ohi. Thought we were just straight wall and pistol cartridges?

I would run the 1-4, with either the offset reflex or the irons. That's a personal call as to what you are most comfortable with.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I don't think this is legal for deer in Ohi. Thought we were just straight wall and pistol cartridges?

Correct, this would be for use in WV deer.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

I did my initial sighting in at around 20 yards. I pulled the BCG out of the rifle and lined up the bore with the center of the target X, then mucked with the cheap reflex until it was finally centered on the X. That got me close enough to make final adjustments at around 50 yards. The reflex was supposed to be a temporary experiment but I haven't removed it yet. Nor have I actually used it while hunting either.

For me, my scope is intended to be the primary sighting device. The reflex is only for reacting to wiley foxes at an uncomfortably close range. But it doesn't sound like we're using our rifles for the same thing so this setup might not work for you.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Your THIRD .300 blackout!?!?!

Damn son, send one to me here in the third world!!!

Seriously though, depends on the use of the rifle.

IMO, if you were gonna SBR, Supress, or preferably both, then Aimpoint micro all the way (or similar)

if not that, are you gonna hunt? What distance are you looking to engage targets? Is this a DMR (Designated Marksman type Rifle) where you are looking for accuracy, or are you going to "minute of man" type accuracy...

I'd either take the scope or the red dot/magnifier depending on the role.

If i were using it for 3 gun type I'd take magnified red dot all the way. Bench shooting at 300 plus yards the other.

Determine the use of the rifle, we can then help you pick the optics.

Nice gun for a bargain parts gun BTW.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Got it together yesterday afternoon.
Still not completely decided yet on the optics but I'm with most of you concerning the 1-4x24.

I am waiting on another set of keymod rail protectors , two additional keymod rail sections, a Seekins K20 AFG & a FDE keymod 45° mount to see if I'd like the Teflex mounted a little more forward and away from the scope.

But everything went together like butter.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
Thanks. Now I'm starting to feel the itch gain. Hahaha.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Moved the Reflex forward & added some temporary BUIS.

#6 )

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I like the 1-4 scope with the reflex offset. Where did you get the keymod rail covers from?

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Ebay - Bravotac
They're BCM rail protectors

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd just go with the 1-4. No buis, no 45 deg sights. The 1-4 can handle it all and you won't be fighting ISIS with it.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Snuck out before the snow (4"-7" expected) arrives to snap some BS pics.

I want to use the 1-4x24 scope as I like the 1x for its field of view & the 4x's added magnification but the little Nikon is so light & the reticle is so much nicer, I believe I'll be going with the 3X fixed magnification Frown .
I'm not getting rid of the 1-4x24 scope anytime soon. There's a reason why it's still in my safe even though I have no need of it.
I really like that scope & the Vortex mount.
It may yet find a home on one of my other ARs.
It's not like my eyes are getting any younger.
My BUIS arrived as did my Ceramic Coating.
So I think, as pictured, it is as it will be except for the BUIS.

I went with a Seekins K20 AFG.
LoL, I bought all these rail sections just so I could use the FDE TangoDown Stubby VFG I have & still chose to buy the K20.
This fool & his money....

With one of my other 300blks
Once I get the last FDE part I'll get some pics of all three together.... no picture = didn't happen right?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%