SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Got my Long Branch No.4 MK I today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my Long Branch No.4 MK I today Login/Join 
With bad intent
posted
After handling this rifle I can say it's probably my favorite rifle of the era that I own so far. I do have nice 03A3 coming next week so we'll see after that. I'll get some rounds through it this weekend to see how it shoots.
After shooting my Swedish M96 last week, I dont think there is a rifle that will compare from an accuracy standpoint. The Swede turned in 3, 5 shot groups measuring .4, .6 and .9(this on had one round that took from .4 to .9) at 100 yards using a 1930 fixed 4 power German Ajak scope with post reticle.

This is my first Enfield, I will defintely be getting at least 2 more.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I received my Savage last week and love it. Now I’m outta ammo for it..ughh

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Very nice. I received my Savage last week and love it. Now I’m outta ammo for it..ughh

Good luck finding any right now. I have supplies coming to get 500 rounds loaded but I had to source some PPU ammo locally because I'm impatient. Was only 18.00 so it wasnt terrible

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I used to own a Long Branch and a Savage and loved shooting them.

Milsurps can be addicting! South American Mausers, particularly Chilean, Brazilian and Argentine, are rich fields for collecting and they are all very high quality.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I have a copy/repro 4T sniper that shoots cast bullets well. I know you mentioned replacing the 2 hole flip up rear sight. The older adjustable milled rear sights for the No.4 are nice w/ some decent adjustments. There is a stamped one that I believe was for possibly the “Jungle” carbine or so I have heard. Or it is a later war stamped cheaper and faster get them out the door adjustable rear sight. It is OK. I have had rifles w/ both. The milled one is of better quality and finer adjustments.

Sarco also sells a Parker-Hale target rear sight that does not permanently alter the rifle.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3173 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Very nice. I have a copy/repro 4T sniper that shoots cast bullets well. I know you mentioned replacing the 2 hole flip up rear sight. The older adjustable milled rear sights for the No.4 are nice w/ some decent adjustments. There is a stamped one that I believe was for possibly the “Jungle” carbine or so I have heard. Or it is a later war stamped cheaper and faster get them out the door adjustable rear sight. It is OK. I have had rifles w/ both. The milled one is of better quality and finer adjustments.

Sarco also sells a Parker-Hale target rear sight that does not permanently alter the rifle.

Id like to have the ladder sight but the one that would be period/arsenal correct for this one is the stamped MKII sight if I recall. The one with the proper markings run about 100.00....not terrible but I'll try the peeps first and see what I Can do.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
After handling this rifle I can say it's probably my favorite rifle of the era that I own so far.

As far as bolt action rifles go, I concur.

Nice peep sight (especially the original milled ladder version), fast and slick action, and 10 rounds on tap.

Tough to beat.

While K98ks and SMLEs hold a special place in my collector's heart, and I'm a bit fan of the M1903 and M1917 as well, if I had to choose a WW2-era bolt action rifle to carry into battle it would almost certainly be the No. 4 Enfield.

quote:
The older adjustable milled rear sights for the No.4 are nice w/ some decent adjustments. There is a stamped one that I believe was for possibly the “Jungle” carbine or so I have heard. Or it is a later war stamped cheaper and faster get them out the door adjustable rear sight.

The stamped Mk. 3 and Mk. 4 ladder sights weren't created for the No. 5 Mk. 1 "Jungle Carbine". They were a mid-wartime expediency designed for the No. 4 Enfield in late 1942, intended as being better than the basic stopgap Mk. 2 flip sight but still simpler and cheaper to produce than the original milled Mk. 1 ladder sight with its fancy micrometer screw adjustment.

Most Jungle Carbines use a milled and micrometer adjustable ladder rear sight, similar to the original Mk. 1 rear for the No. 4, just graduated to 800 yards instead of 1300.

There are some Jungle Carbines with stamped rear sights, similar to the Mk. 3/4 rear but again graduated to 800 instead of 1300 yards, but those are less common. And this stamped rear ladder had already been around on the No. 4 for over 2 years by the time they started being used on some Jungle Carbines in ~1945.

No. 5 Mk. 1 rear sights:

Here's a good ~7 minute overview of the various No. 4 rear sight iterations:

https://www.forgottenweapons.c...-enfield-rear-sight/

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking Enfield. Now, go out and shoot it.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Id like to have the ladder sight but the one that would be period/arsenal correct for this one is the stamped MKII sight if I recall. The one with the proper markings run about 100.00....not terrible but I'll try the peeps first and see what I Can do.

I will look around in my small pile of Enfield parts. I may have one.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I will look around in my small pile of Enfield parts. I may have one.

try Apex for parts,

and also try Ebay UK,

I bought a rplacement for a broken No 4 rear last year off UK Ebay and it was cheaper shipped than I could find one in the US

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Where are you guys finding decent stripper clips for the no.4 Mk1* 's? There are a lot of junk ones out there and would like a few good ones.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Where are you guys finding decent stripper clips for the no.4 Mk1* 's? There are a lot of junk ones out there and would like a few good ones.

(Chargers, not "stripper clips"... Damn Colonials can't even speak the Queen's properly. Big Grin)

Unfortunately, I don't know of any good sources nowadays. I bought a bunch of Greek surplus HXP .303 ammo several years back that came packed on British military chargers. So I've just been reusing those.

The HXP ammo is noncorrosive too. Truly one of the best options for .303 surplus ammo, but scarce nowadays.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

How many you need? I have a pile of Brit ones that came in Brit. bandoliers. Not Pakistani junk.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
WRT the rear sights, after the war, many rifles went thru the factory to be updated usually marked (FTR) on the side of the receiver. This included replacing the war service sights with the better pre-war sight MK1 (milled ladder sights)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
This included replacing the war service sights with the better pre-war sight MK1 (milled ladder sights)

Sometimes, but not across the board. Rear sights were typically only replaced during FTR if the rear sight needed replacement, and if it did, they used whatever parts were on hand.

But since new No. 4 rifle production went back to using the original Mk. 1 milled rear ladder sights at the end of the war and into the postwar period, there would have been a decent number of new production Mk. 1 sights available to the factories while doing these postwar FTR rebuilds. So yes, many of the FTR'd rifles that needed new rear sights would have received Mk. 1 sights, since it's what they were likely to have on hand, especially once the supply of wartime production sight spare parts ran out.

But it's not like they went through during the FTR process and refitted every No. 4 with a Mk. 1 sight.

Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I only need 2 or 3 for the Enfield I inherited from my late father-in-law. It's the Savage no.4 Mk1* with the 1942 date on it. Which ones will work with it?

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought I was done with the Enfields until I filled some other gaps in my lineup bu this came along. Taken out of the cosmoline a few months back.

Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
M1Garandy, email coming and thanks.

posted Hide Post
Some nice No.4s posted. IIRC, the strippers for Swedish Mausers will also work in a pinch.(?).

ETA: It appears the Swedish strippers will work in the US 1903 and 1917 rifles, but perhaps not in the SMLE. Sorry, guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post