SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone here have the POF Revolution 308?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here have the POF Revolution 308? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
"AR-15 THAT SHOOTS .308"
The innovation really intrigues me. But, it's relatively new, and not a lot of reports from real end users (reports from the company and from the gun rags don't count to me). Just looking at the specs/pics, what concerns me most is the very thin rim at the bolt face. It could be the weak point of the whole system.

https://pof-usa.com/firearms/revolution/
https://pof-usa.com/revolution-comparison/

Bolts (in order of left to right):

- AR10 – The longest, largest locking lugs and largest body diameter bolt

- “Intermediate Frame” AR10 – Has the same length & body diameter as the AR10 bolt. Only the locking lugs are Intermediate in size.

- .308 Revolution – Same size as the M16. The shortest length, smallest body diameter, and the smallest locking lug diameter. Only the geometry changes to allow the .308 battle rifle cartridge to shoot in the Small action Frame of the Revolution.

- M16

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not have the revolution, i do hqve a p308 edge though, and a pof ar15. Both have been solid guns.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I do not have the revolution, i do hqve a p308 edge though, and a pof ar15. Both have been solid guns.

I've had POFs before, both 415 and 308, several years ago, and yes they are solid. But, the Revolution is, well, revolutionary. A completely newly designed 308 rifle from POF, and weighing in at 7.3 lbs. Compare that to the SCAR 17S at 8 lbs, and the LMT CQB MWS at 9.9 lbs.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the same thought process last year when i bought my p308. Is the bolt made of any different matterials than standard bolt?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I was in the same thought process last year when i bought my p308. Is the bolt made of any different matterials than standard bolt?

According to their Q&A page:

quote:
The bolt carrier is the same one as in our P415 with a special bolt and firing pin, the charging handle is the same Tomahawk used in our Renegade+, and the bolt face exterior dimensions have been modified to fit the .308 cartridge yet still fit inside a 5.56 sized barrel extension. We were only able to do this with a thin wall on the bolt face, and by utilizing a horrendously expensive alloy that is 50 times the surface hardness of Mil-Spec carpenter steel used in standard AR-15 bolts, and has a much higher temperature and pressure tolerance.

quote:
We have too much money and R&D time invested into the alloy composition in the Revolution bolt to release any specific technical information on it. It is our policy to not release specific information on it so as to protect that investment for as long as possible.

So, it's secret recipe.

Q

posted Hide Post
Just read the same comments on the page, and was about to post it here.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I decided to pick up the P308 EDGE instead of the Revolution. Right now, a difference of 0.8 lbs between the two is not worth an almost $600 difference to me. I might still get the Revolution further down the road, waiting for more reports on it and the price to come down a little (when it's no longer considered revolutionary).

The Edge is about the weight of the SCAR 17S, so it handles quite well.

Q

posted Hide Post
I went with the np3 version. How does it shoot.

What scopes/optics are you thinking of?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just got it, so no shoot, yet. Scope? Probably some 1-4x or 1-6x, like the Trijicon.

Q

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I've had POFs before, both 415 and 308, several years ago, and yes they are solid. But, the Revolution is, well, revolutionary. A completely newly designed 308 rifle from POF, and weighing in at 7.3 lbs. Compare that to the SCAR 17S at 8 lbs, and the LMT CQB MWS at 9.9 lbs.

I still have that P308 in the safe Cool . Very first gun I ever bought from you. Solid gun...

Posts: 905 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingfish007:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I still have that P308 in the safe Cool . Very first gun I ever bought from you. Solid gun...

Yes, sir, still remember that 20-incher.
Love POF rifles. They keep getting better with more features on their guns.

Q

posted Hide Post
I had to dig up a few photos tonight. So i dug up some of my p308 edge spr.

I really like this rifle.