SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My buddy wants his first AR, with a specific price of around $750. Options?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My buddy wants his first AR, with a specific price of around $750. Options? Login/Join 
I got a Million of 'em!
posted
I told him the Saint, a Tread, and PSA are all good options at that price point probably. M&Ps look to be just a little outside of that.

Am I missing anything? Ruger?

If I was going to buy something in that price point, I’d probably get this. It’s everything I’d want in a gun. Long handguard, mid length gas, Magpul furniture, etc.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...-mbus-sight-set.html

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think you hit all the main options.

M&P-15 Sport is in that price range and comparable to the other options.

https://www.themodernsportsman...02-022188868104-2954

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windham also if you can find one at that price

I have a Smith I like

at this stage you may be at the mercy of 'what's available'

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Is he dead-set on a complete rifle?

He can save some money by buying a stripped lower, a lower build kit, a complete assembled upper with CH and BCG, and some BUIS. Then you could help him assemble the lower, which only requires basic mechanical ability, some punches, and one special tool (a castle nut wrench). The tricky part of AR assembly that requires specialized tools and expertise is all in the upper assembly... Literally anyone can be easily taught how to assemble a stripped lower, and there are tons of excellent online tutorials and videos.

For example, that $750 complete PSA AR can be purchased for $590 if you're willing to do a little work yourself.

$50 stripped lower
$120 lower build kit with MOE furniture
$420 complete upper with CH, BCG, and MBUS sights

Plus another $20 or so if you don't already have a castle nut wrench and some punches, and don't know someone who will let you borrow them.

With complete firearms, you're paying extra for the factory assembly labor, as well as the federal excise tax that is charged on all manufacturer-built firearms. But you're also getting warranty coverage on the lower assembly, whereas if you assemble the lower incorrectly yourself and something doesn't work right, you then have to diagnose and fix it yourself. (The complete upper would still be under warranty, and the lower parts and receiver would still be under warranty against manufacturing problems/defects.)

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Aero M4E2 lower, lower parts kit, premium CHF upper from Palmetto. I’d go mid length gas. If there is any $ left buy an ALG Defense ACT trigger. Done.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

+1 on this rifle - My son has this exact rifle with well over 2000 rounds thru it (I know because he saves me his spent brass for reloading) and he has had ZERO issues....He is also one that is not known for cleaning his equipment after each range trip or trip to his wife's family farm.....Good Solid rife for the price - IMO......

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Is he dead-set on a complete rifle?

He can save some money by buying a stripped lower, a lower build kit, a complete assembled upper with CH and BCG, and some BUIS. Then you could help him assemble the lower, which only requires basic mechanical ability, some punches, and one special tool (a castle nut wrench). The tricky part of AR assembly that requires specialized tools and expertise is all in the upper assembly... Literally anyone can be easily taught how to assemble a stripped lower, and there are tons of excellent online tutorials and videos.

For example, that $750 complete PSA AR can be purchased for $590 if you're willing to do a little work yourself.

$50 stripped lower
$120 lower build kit with MOE furniture
$420 complete upper with CH, BCG, and MBUS sights

Plus another $20 or so if you don't already have a castle nut wrench and some punches, and don't know someone who will let you borrow them.

With complete firearms, you're paying extra for the factory assembly labor, as well as the federal excise tax that is charged on all manufacturer-built firearms. But you're also getting warranty coverage on the lower assembly, whereas if you assemble the lower incorrectly yourself and something doesn't work right, you then have to diagnose and fix it yourself. (The complete upper would still be under warranty, and the lower parts and receiver would still be under warranty against manufacturing problems/defects.)

I’d help build in a heartbeat but he lives 650 miles away. I’m gonna say off the shelve is his best bet right now.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 2 lefty Stag AR's that are more than 10 years old and decided to move to right hand for better parts availability. I bought a Tread because I like the Sig lower which is similar to my MPX and Rattler.

But since I'be been working at home since mid-March I build a couple instead:

Aero M4E lowers & uppers and Atlas S-One handguards, Geissele SSA-E triggers, Radian parts (selector, detent pins, QD rear plate, charging handle) and Ballistic Advantage Hanson Premium barrels. One 16" mid with Magpul stock and one 10.3" carbine with SBA3.

So now I don't need the Tread and plan to sell it. Once you have all the tools, building is pretty easy. Need an upper clamshell, lower mag well block, Magpul AR wrench, barrel nut tool for handguard of choice, barrel clamps (for muzzle devices to prevent strain on the upper), torque wrenches for barrel and buffer castle nut, punches, etc.

So now I don't need the Tread and will sell it. It's good for an off-the-shelf AR and Sig sells various optional accessories that make it easy to modify.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
M&P-15, Saint, and the Ruger would be safe bets at that price point. When he wants another (which will surely happen), then he can build one piece by piece as his budget allows.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does he have a specific purpose for the AR?
Is it for home defense, general shooting, carrying it for work?

I like the S&W M&P 15 and know a few agencies that carry them in their cruisers.

I am looking to get a Ruger AR556 (for general shooting) I became interested in the rifle during the Armorers course I went to. Plus in my opinion they have great customer service if anything would happen to go wrong with the rifle.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Armalite's Eagle-15 series may be worth taking a look at. There are a few "optics ready" versions on ChodeChoker for under $600.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My father-in-law picked up a M&P Sport with a RDS for $640 (I think) last month.

My brother-in-law bought a DPMS Panther (or something like that) optics-ready model for around $500, but that was a few years ago.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15275 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of good ones mentioned already. I'd also take a look at the often-forgotten Windham Weaponry offerings.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
You already put a link for PSA so you're already aware of their stuff. My 1st AR was a Windham Weaponry that I ended up selling when I needed some money.

A few years later I ended up buying 2 complete lowers and 2 complete uppers from PSA and mated them together and have been very happy with them. All in I have about $1,100 invested in 2 AR's, to include a cheap scope on each. I'm not a huge AR fan, so the AR's I have are more than I'll ever need.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A S&W M&P 2 is hard to beat for the money. Ruger is another great deal.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
$589.00 for a Smith & Wesson M&P II
https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=101177

Granted they were $459 a little over a month ago

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The PSA offers a free float rail and midlength gas. Their enhanced mil spec trigger is actually pretty good, too. When PSA says M16 BCG that means to me one of their premium Toolcraft made units with the stated carpenter 158 bolts. I’d take that over any S&W Sport carbine.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
I told him the Saint, a Tread, and PSA are all good options at that price point probably. M&Ps look to be just a little outside of that.

Am I missing anything? Ruger?

If I was going to buy something in that price point, I’d probably get this. It’s everything I’d want in a gun. Long handguard, mid length gas, Magpul furniture, etc.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...-mbus-sight-set.html

This is probably the best bang for the buck. The PSA enhanced trigger is very good for the money, I have 3 of them and I'm very impressed. It's got a 4150 barrel, a lot in that price range will have 4140. Nitride is better than a phosphate non lined barrel. It has useable signs, M-LOC free float rail, which will let him add a light, which if it's for self defense he should, and the M-LOC will make it easier.

All and all, the PSA you posted is a great deal. I have used quite a few PSA parts and all of them have been very good. I have never been disappointed in anything I have gotten from them.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

THIS or the Ruger. WHY? warranty support and built by solid firearms companies that have been in business for over a century. Plus, they both work.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
(Psst... Jimmy... Ruger has only been around since 1949. Big Grin)

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post