SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PSA - S&W recalling M&P 15-22 made before 2/1/19
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA - S&W recalling M&P 15-22 made before 2/1/19 Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Their recall notice web page sucks. It says, on the one hand: "ALL models of M&P15-22 rifles and pistols manufactured before February 1, 2019." Then it turns around and says, elsewhere: "If you encounter an M&P15-22 with no box and want to know whether the firearm requires bolt inspection - go toMP15-22SafetyAlert.comand use the Serial NumberLookup that is present." I do that and get back "The serial number that you entered is not valid for this Consumer Safety Alert"

FWIW: It looks like if you have a 7-character serial number, you might not be affected. I reached that conclusion based on the fact that my 7-character serial number came up with the response it did and that the M&P 15-22 Bolt Inspection Gauge order form requires an 8-character serial number.

I guess I'll call them and (probably) sit on hold.

Thanks for the heads up, Dzozer!

ETA: Confirmed via phone call. Agent: "Yes, the ones we're looking for have 8-character serial numbers."

Thanks. That explains why my serial number kept getting rejected. It's a 7 digit serial.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I received my gauge today. It tested fine so we went shooting. Still shooting flawlessly.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Thanks for the headsup. Mine showed as a recall, 7 digit serial number, I'll be contacting them.

Fascinating, given what the CSR to whom I spoke said. Let us know what they say when you call, please?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
My gauge came today also and my rifle is good to go.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up!

Just ordered the bolt inspection gauge.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been waiting on the guage for a couple months.

Another forum states the gauge is .036”. Going to measure it myself now.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've waited for the gauge for several weeks. Finally gave up and used a feeler gauge and straightedge and it seemed good.

Shot it and sighted it in so the grandkids can get on paper. Works great.

Did Remington buy S&W? Big Grin

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the time to get after checking the two 15-22’s we have.

S&W still hasn’t sent the feeler gauge so I got out my calipers and planned to make a tool out of paper and packing tape.

After I started in on that I happened to see one of my collar stays. Measured it and it’s .035”.

I’ve seen measurements on the S&W tool posted at .034 to .036.

Both bolts checked less than flush. Thought it was funny that a collar stay was the perfect tool.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post