SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question on AR10 style DMR

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Question on AR10 style DMR Login/Join 
Picture of onpointgun
posted
Ok I want an AR10 style rifle with a 18-20 inch barrel. I want it to have sub moa potential. I had posted several days ago about the GA Precision GAP-10 and I like the looks of it. The only down side is the 8-10 months it would take. Here is where I need the help what others should I try to find. The Larue and the KAC are also hard to find and very pricey. A local gun shop has the Christensen Arms CA-10 DMR. The idea of the weight being under 8lbs sounds good I am just not sure what I think of the barrel being carbon fiber wrapped and the carbon fiber forearm.

Others that I have considered are the Rainier Arms RA308, Patriot Ordnance P308. Tell me what you think on the subject or point me in the direction of something I haven't considered.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River LAR-8 Varmint that I am quite fond of.

Mine wears the 'advanced half-quad' rail, and the 'operator' A2 stock, is more than capable of MOA (or better) with the right loads, and set me back about 1400.

Uses FAL or RRA mags. Some folks report issues with some of the older surplus FAL mags, so I went ahead and just bought a bunch of RRA mags, which work wonderfully, and are cheap enough (about 25 bucks per).

Topped it off with a SWFA SS 10x42 fixed power.

Overall a great rifle at a great price. However, it doesn't stop me from wanting to build a bolt action rifle though. : )

Good luck in your search!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:

Uses FAL or RRA mags. Some folks report issues with some of the older surplus FAL mags, so I went ahead and just bought a bunch of RRA mags, which work wonderfully, and are cheap enough (about 25 bucks per).

If buying a new .308 AR today, I would recommend sticking to a .308 AR that uses DPMS/SR25-pattern magazines. Those have becomes the near-standard for .308 ARs. Magpul even produced PMAGs in that pattern.

There are still a couple companies (Rock River and Armalite) that make .308 ARs that use proprietary magazines (or FAL/M14 magazines). But even Armalite has jumped on the bandwagon lately, and most of their recent models use the DPMS/SR25 mags.

Those RRA/Armalite designs served a purpose back in the days of the 1994-2004 Assault Weapon Ban (and may still for residents of certain states that still have magazine restrictions), because surplus pre-ban FAL/M14 magazines allowed you to legally get high-capacity magazines for your .308 AR. Even besides the AWB, it was handy back when surplus M14/FAL mags were cheap and plentiful. But neither case applies today.

So unless you just find an amazing deal on exactly what you're looking for in a RRA/Armalite rifle, there's no reason to go with one of the proprietary magazine designs. DPMS/SR25 magazines are cheaper, more widely available, and used by a much larger number of .308 ARs.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sammael:

Mine wears the 'advanced half-quad' rail, and the 'operator' A2 stock, is more than capable of MOA (or better) with the right loads, and set me back about 1400.

Topped it off with a SWFA SS 10x42 fixed power.

Overall a great rifle at a great price. However, it doesn't stop me from wanting to build a bolt action rifle though. : )

Good luck in your search!

The metal mags are still plentiful at gun shows both used and new. Here is another source: http://www.mosesmag.com/shop/

I have some of the original Moses Mags and they run great. The Magpuls are pretty inexpensive at the moment. The price of mags is important but reliability is also important. The old steel mags can be made very reliable with a little work and some 'slick' treatment. Whatever you choose, consider the recoil end and muzzle end. I do want a PRS stock on my LAR-8 if I can find the DPMS extender (out of production). The AR style .308 can be 'barbied' not so much the HK91 style. BUT mags for the HK91 style can be found for as little as $4!

Also note the RRA mags are GTG.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Report This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I've got both in regards to the mag styles - I concur with leaning towards the ones that take the SR25 style/Pmag style magazines. That is, unless you are dead set on a particular rifle that uses the older AR10 style magazines -then stock up now while supply is good and prices are cheap. During one of the last scare, those mags were selling for north of $50-75 each if you could find them. Personally, I'm flush with both.

My first 7.62 gas gun was a Noveske N6 years ago - they used the AR10 style mags, so I stocked up. They are extraordinarily strong and reliable - been using the same small pile of mags since day one with no wear or issues to indicate I'll need the reserve supply..still...

The newest one is my Sig 716 - it uses the Pmag/SR25 style - I've got both. I prefer the metal mags, but honestly for the price the Pmags are readily available, work well and are pretty much disposable. They will wear faster, but for the cost you can stock up easily.

As to the lightweight Christensen Arms offerings - I don't have the 7.62 version, but I do have one of their carbon fiber wrapped VTAC's in 5.56 - wickedly accurate, super light weight and I really enjoy it. That said, I haven't put it through the paces like a battle gun - I guess I see it more as an accurate rifle for distance shooting, popping varmints, etc - maybe I'll get it warmed up one of these days, but I've got others that were built for that at a way lower price point.

Whatever you get, make sure to post pics! I've been thinking of a longer barrel version myself...likely 18-20"...maybe I can just get one of the uppers offered by Sig and pop it on my lower.

Best of luck in your search!

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Your choice of an AR10 depends on your intended use and budget. I also recommend the DPMS/SR25 type magazine platform, although mags do exist for other platforms.

I've shot a Gen 1 GAP-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. It's the finest AR10 I've shot -- very accurate, cycled smoothly, fit & finish were outstanding. It's the rifle I wanted a few years ago, when our state legislation attempted to pass laws which would make selling semi-auto rifles de facto a liability issue, thus effectively killing the AR sales & transfers business in the state. Fortunately this bill died, but I bought a Black Rain receiver set and BCG before the panic went full bonkers. No GAP-10s were available on such short notice at that time.

My Black Rain AR-10 was built by a talented local 'smith with a Krieger barrel, a Magpul PRS stock, and a Wilson trigger. It is close to a GAP in function, but not quite to its level of accuracy. I acquired the parts over some two years as my budget allowed, therefore an 8-month wait for a GAP doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

I've also shot Larue and Knights Armament AR10s -- they are excellent fine rifles. Not quite as accurate as a Gap, but likely exhibit more reliable cycling if not periodically cleaned and lubed. The owner of Rifles Only states that the GAP-10 is the most accurate AR10 on the market, but it requires daily cleaning and lube.

I shot a DPMS a few years ago. A small step down in accuracy from the Larue and KAC, but the DPMS cycled perfectly in Texas dust storms, when the rifle was pretty dry and and dirty.

I wouldn't buy one of the "bargain" AR10s. Issues with them show up on threads -- on this site and others. YMMV.

When you look at your budget for an AR10, consider the full cost of getting into the platform. Assuming you want optics, have your scope and mount roughed out prior to purchasing anything. Quality zoom scopes can cost as much as the rifle itself. Consider the cost of magazines, and the number of them you want. Maybe a bipod, a sling, a muzzle device. Don't forget ammo -- it's not cheap, assuming you want to use ammo that actually impacts where you're aiming the rifle.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Report This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
onpointgun:

I can’t resist stating that you are at the most fun part of this journey: Researching, validating and deciding on the right rifle for you. There is a similar process for acquiring the right optic for you/the rifle. The next stages are hard work — finding or building the best load for the rifle and learning how to consistently get the best you can out of the rifle.

I am on a similar path to yours but in the hard work stages. I have a friend who does have a GAP-10 Gen II and if you’ve held one in your own hands, you already know how beautifully turned out that rifle is. Is it worth the wait? I’d say so given what it can do, the relative uniqueness of it and the craftsmanship of the entire system.

I have a LMT MWS with the 20” 5R stainless barrel. That rifle is, in my hands a .8 MOA rifle. I think it is likely better than that but I need to learn to exploit it. Not there yet. Most come with a 16” chrome lined barrel and it is not a sub MOA barrel—at least not in my hands. I have that barrel too. You should be able to find a lightly used LMT MWS for ~$2500 give or take. A new 20” SS 5R barrel can be had for around $650. There are other ways to get a target barrel but they involve sacrificing the barrel that comes with the rifle to harvest it’s barrel extension. For me, this rifle has some limitations. I need to shoot suppressed. The LMT’s gas block is pressed on and the gas port in the barrel is cut at 45 degrees. Some claim to have put an adjustable gas block on the rifle and I may try that some day. If you need or want to use a suppressor this could be a frustrating rifle as it is extremely overgassed with a can. Aside from the suppressor issue, the rifle is very well made, the upper and lower lock together very tightly and is a quality system.

I also have a LaRue 20” PredatOBR. Mine is certainly a sub MOA rifle but I can’t get any more out of it than I can with the LMT. It does solve the suppressor problem with the factory gas port selector switch. It is a very well made rifle and a joy own and shoot. If I were buying this rifle today, I would buy the OBR. It too has the port selector switch now and I am not going to use the break-down capabilities of the PredatOBR. Weight is not an issue for me as I am unloading rifles from the truck and dropping into prone just a few yards away. I would trade a little more weight for the potential of a little more accuracy.

Realizing this post got long a while back I won’t start writing about building your own but, suffice it to say that you could more easily that you might know.

There are a lot of great choices out there. Good luck with whichever system you choose.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You could build one. I just finished one on an mega Maten receiver set. Jp barrel, bolt and carrier. Haven't shot it yet but it should do sub moa

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If buying a new .308 AR today, I would recommend sticking to a .308 AR that uses DPMS/SR25-pattern magazines. Those have becomes the near-standard for .308 ARs. Magpul even produced PMAGs in that pattern.

There are still a couple companies (Rock River and Armalite) that make .308 ARs that use proprietary magazines (or FAL/M14 magazines). But even Armalite has jumped on the bandwagon lately, and most of their recent models use the DPMS/SR25 mags.

Those RRA/Armalite designs served a purpose back in the days of the 1994-2004 Assault Weapon Ban (and may still for residents of certain states that still have magazine restrictions), because surplus pre-ban FAL/M14 magazines allowed you to legally get high-capacity magazines for your .308 AR. Even besides the AWB, it was handy back when surplus M14/FAL mags were cheap and plentiful. But neither case applies today.

So unless you just find an amazing deal on exactly what you're looking for in a RRA/Armalite rifle, there's no reason to go with one of the proprietary magazine designs. DPMS/SR25 magazines are cheaper, more widely available, and used by a much larger number of .308 ARs.

Not sure I understand the aversion to non-SR25 pattern rifles when they (in the case of the RRAs) take not only their proprietary mags, but also reliable, inexpensive FAL mags.

Not to mention the fact that the RRA mags are 20-25 bucks, readily available, and run just fine.

Either way, I have enough RRA mags to last this lifetime - and that's not counting the FAL mags I own (which also feed my FAL - so there's that).

However, I wouldn't let the ability to use P-Mags make or break a decision on a rifle that otherwise fills all the check boxes in what you may be looking for.

The LAR-8 Varmint doesn't need anything else in my book to make it what I want out of a DMR. It's good to go in every way. YMMV.

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryrifle:
onpointgun:

I can’t resist stating that you are at the most fun part of this journey: Researching, validating and deciding on the right rifle for you. There is a similar process for acquiring the right optic for you/the rifle. The next stages are hard work — finding or building the best load for the rifle and learning how to consistently get the best you can out of the rifle.

I am on a similar path to yours but in the hard work stages. I have a friend who does have a GAP-10 Gen II and if you’ve held one in your own hands, you already know how beautifully turned out that rifle is. Is it worth the wait? I’d say so given what it can do, the relative uniqueness of it and the craftsmanship of the entire system.

I have a LMT MWS with the 20” 5R stainless barrel. That rifle is, in my hands a .8 MOA rifle. I think it is likely better than that but I need to learn to exploit it. Not there yet. Most come with a 16” chrome lined barrel and it is not a sub MOA barrel—at least not in my hands. I have that barrel too. You should be able to find a lightly used LMT MWS for ~$2500 give or take. A new 20” SS 5R barrel can be had for around $650. There are other ways to get a target barrel but they involve sacrificing the barrel that comes with the rifle to harvest it’s barrel extension. For me, this rifle has some limitations. I need to shoot suppressed. The LMT’s gas block is pressed on and the gas port in the barrel is cut at 45 degrees. Some claim to have put an adjustable gas block on the rifle and I may try that some day. If you need or want to use a suppressor this could be a frustrating rifle as it is extremely overgassed with a can. Aside from the suppressor issue, the rifle is very well made, the upper and lower lock together very tightly and is a quality system.

I also have a LaRue 20” PredatOBR. Mine is certainly a sub MOA rifle but I can’t get any more out of it than I can with the LMT. It does solve the suppressor problem with the factory gas port selector switch. It is a very well made rifle and a joy own and shoot. If I were buying this rifle today, I would buy the OBR. It too has the port selector switch now and I am not going to use the break-down capabilities of the PredatOBR. Weight is not an issue for me as I am unloading rifles from the truck and dropping into prone just a few yards away. I would trade a little more weight for the potential of a little more accuracy.

Realizing this post got long a while back I won’t start writing about building your own but, suffice it to say that you could more easily that you might know.

There are a lot of great choices out there. Good luck with whichever system you choose.

Henryrifle

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Lucky for me I live about 1 hour from GA Precision and they have agreed to let me drive over and look at them tomorrow. I think I will take my $1000 deposit to get one built its just time right. What I would like just not sure I can afford it is to have them build me one in 7.62 and a second upper in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
There are other great gun plumbers out there, but I think you will be pleased with your GAP rifle. I have two of their Crusaders. I would not hesitate buying another GAP if I needed another rifle.

Listen carefully to GAP's recommendations about configurations and barrel lengths, especially if you plan to use a suppressor. They give you advice based on what they see in their own tests, and in what they receive in feedback from customers.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I ordered a JP Enterprises AR-10t and it didn't take long. I'd still own it, but this was during the ban and the handicap was the gen-1 remanufactured M14 mags.

Take a look at JP Enterprises, mine was extremely accurate.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Curious, how much is the GAP AR1O these days?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
If you are looking at the GAP you also should take a look at the JP. I have a JP in 223 and it is scary accurate. I also have an Armalite AR10T that is very accurate and I am happy with it, but if I do another AR10 it will be a JP. Also JP has some nice features that I am unaware of that anyone else has.

http://jprifles.com/1.2.1_PSC_12.php

http://jprifles.com/1.2.5_LRP07.php

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Report This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Put me in the camp favoring JP.

I put 5-10 rounds through one of their "side Chargers" and came away drooling.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Since being bought by Strategic Armory Corp in 2013, ArmaLite has shed a lot of their products. Among those that are defunct are the non-AR pistols and almost all the AR-10B rifles. The only AR-10B at their site is the SuperSASS, an A and a B model.

I also noticed that they do not have B model magazines anymore; their site only shows the 10-round in stock. Now, I had bought a bunch of hi-cap mags awhile back, but I decided that even though these mags last just one day shy of forever, I needed a few more and I found some on-line, on sale even and bought a bunch more.

ArmaLite no longer shows any AR-10 (T)s, they are all "tactical" models now. There are some B-series uppers to be had including both series of (T) models. The lowers available are all A-models now.

It's sad, and I like the steel magazines for the B model more than anything that fits the A model, but it's over for the B model. Good thing I have a slew of magazines for it.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Report This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
The GAP 10 is a fine rifle, most accurate I own and top notch fit and finish. The only downside is weight.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Report This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I did it the order for the GAP-10 has been placed. The guys at GA Precision were great I got to go into the vault and look at all the rifles they have some very nice stuff. The hardest part starts hopefully it doesn't take as long as they quoted.

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I think you'll be super happy with your new rifle. Congrats on a great choice.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Report This Post