SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rimfire scope recommendation, please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire scope recommendation, please. Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I have a plain, basic 10-22. The scope I had on it for years crapped out.

What scope do you like for this gun? I don't plan to shoot rimfire benchrest or any other extreme use. I use it for normal 10-22 stuff. Plinking, paper, small game, with max range being about 100 yards.

What scope do you like? I don't want to spend $900, but can spend more than $100.

I'm thinking a compact, and maybe a fixed power, but I am open to suggestions.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P...ag=reloaderaddict-20

I really like mine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...ag=reloaderaddict-20

I've heard nothing but good things about BSA

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leupold vx1 2-7 rimfire.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some things to consider:
- You will have more flexibility with a variable-power scope. Something around 2x or 3x on the low end, and 7x through 9x on the high end is quite good for a 22lr.

- Consider the scope's parallax setting or adjustment. The fixed parallax of some center-fire scopes will not be optimal for your use, even at low magnification. If you have a fixed parallax, make certain it's no more than 100 yards. But variable parallax is best.

- Consider the reticle. I detest BCD reticles. I can't imagine having one with a rimfire scope. From a cost savings standpoint, you may be looking at a duplex reticle. However, some kind of elevation and windage subtensions are nice.

- Which means you need some type of elevation adjustment -- accurate and repeatable. I suspect you will zero at 50 yards. Assuming you have MOA dials, you'll need 6-7 MOA of elevation to get to 100 yards. BTW, I don't think a zero-stop feature is necessary for your use.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My favorite plinker rimfire are Weaver 4x28 or 2.5-7x28s.

Seem to be just about perfect for a 10/22.

The comparable Leupolds is another great option for a bit more coin; I just happened into Weavers when I got back into shooting and for the price, really like them a lot.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
jhe, I went with a Burris Fullfield 3-9X scope on my .22. Great scope with clear glass for under $200. Sure, you can get by with a lower power scope if that's too large for your rifle. I like to see the target at 100 yards.

They go on sale all the time.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my goto across a bunch of different .22's has been the leupold 3-9 rimfire model. I've been completely happy with that choice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Nikon Rimfire in the flavor that suits you best.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a Konus Pro 6x24 with adjustable paralax. The reticle is a little thick for close in paper punching, but other than that it's a great scope.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a mint condition Anniversary 10-22.
I put the Vortex 2X7 on it. Excellent so far.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As my eyes get older, I like more power in scopes.
Nikon has a prostaff rimfire in 4 X 12 variable that looks good to me. For many years I had an old 4 power fixed on my 10/22 and am used to picking targets up at the 4 power level. Now the idea of zooming in is attractive.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Nikon Rimfire in the flavor that suits you best.

^^^^^
This here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use, and like, the Leupold FX-1 4x28mm fixed power scope on my 10-22.

Leupold FX-1 at Midway.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Burris Droptine 4.4-14x44.

Adjustable parallax down to 50 yards.

Another great option, I have one on my CZ452/455s, along with a Timberline 4.5-14x32mm (parallax down to 7 yds) on the other.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Nikon. Recently picked up a Nikon P-Tactical Rimfire with the BDC reticle and love it on my Ruger 22.

TD

Who Does More Is Worth More

Posts: 37 | Registered: November 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with a Mueller APT 4.5-14X40 scope I picked up in 2015 for my CZ455. I have found it to be reliable, hold zero, and have repeatable adjustments. I switch between 22LR and 17HMR barrels on the rifle, and can just dial the adjustment and be very close to zero (can’t expect it to be perfect each time as the barrels are being changed on the receiver). Currently $174.
http://muelleroptics.com/produ...-5-14x40ao-tactical/

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 3-9x EFR is a nice compact adjustable objective rimfire scope. I currently have one on my 10/22.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post