SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need SCOPE Recommendation...Midwest Deer Hunting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need SCOPE Recommendation...Midwest Deer Hunting Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I picked up a new Ruger American Predator in .350 Legend for deer hunting this fall with my daughter who is in high school. I have looked at Nikon, Leopold, and Vortex and an occasional Trijicon or two. The first three are the only ones I can actually look through in my area. I also am able to get a very large discount on Leopold optics, around 50% from MRSP in general. I looked at a VX5 HD with an MRSP around $1200, online they sell for about $999, but my price is $671. Logically, you would think why on earth would I consider anything other than Leopold due to the discount right? Well, I compared the VX5 with a 44mm objective today to a Vortex Strike Eagle 2-24x or 4-24x with 50mm objective. The Leopold was good, but I think the Vortex was brighter and captured more light even with the supposed superior Leopold HD glass. There was nearly a $300 difference in price with the Vortex being cheaper. The good thing about the Leopold is that I can get turrets that basically match the .350 legend which makes shots stupid simple to make.

I'm looking for a variable power with a maximum of a 50mm objective to keep the scope as low as possible to the rifle with a firedot or lit rectile. Since most of the deer we hunt are early in the morning or just before sunset having some sort of red dot/lit rectile is a must. Any suggestions? I have $600 cash, but could spend more if I have to, but believe I should be able to find something for around $450-ish.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3625 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stay Classy!!
Picture of Crockett040
posted Hide Post
The scopes you mentioned will far outpace the capabilities of the 350 legend. It's a great round but at most a 300 yard gun.
My opinion, I would stick with leupold, but look for a smaller magnification range. IE 2-10 or 4-14

eta

I am a firearms and accessories retailer. We have had some issues with quality control on our vortex lineup. So much so that we are looking to find something to replace their line with

Posts: 397 | Location: Iowa | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
$699 for this one. Worth checking out.

https://www.sportoptics.com/me...-3-18x50-653566.aspx

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
VX-6 HD 2-12.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with Crockett. I would be cognoscenti of weight. Lighter is better. Do not over think it. And no good reason to over scope it or spend money needlessly either.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Smithnsig. I shoot s Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster for almost all of my deer hunting. Put the Leupold VX6 2-12 on it with custom turret. Perfect. Even the turret is overkill since I’m sighted at 170, giving me an MPBR of 200. Have never needed more.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
VX-6 HD 2-12.

Oh that’s nice, but pricy.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crockett040:
I am a firearms and accessories retailer. We have had some issues with quality control on our vortex lineup. So much so that we are looking to find something to replace their line with

Have you noticed a specific model you have been having problems with or where they were made? I noticed a lot of the lower end Vortex line is Chinese made.

BTW...I like the VX6 2-12 Leopold, just a little too much $$$ for this project. I think if I stick with the 50mm objective they will gather the low light I want, but may have to look at the VX3 or VXR series. Honestly though, I think Leupolds reticles in general are too fat and hard to read of there are multiple stadia. This is where Vortex has outshine them. I think Leopold can do better without driving up costs.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3625 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I didn’t see mention of area, type of hunting and average shot distance? O.K., Midwest.

A quality Leupold 2.5-8 power of the better quality level is a solid choice.

Posts: 6154 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^
Yep where at? Southern MO ozarks most deer when I lived there were shots at 150 yards or less. Longer if the stand was near a field or clearing of course. Many times open sights or no more than a 3-9 scope is fine.

KS, OK, NE, plains states that distance is naturally opened up.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use 1-5 Leupold Scout VXR on my 45-70. My son uses a Leupold Mark AR 1-4 (illuminated) on his 44mag. I just setup my buddies Ruger MPR 350 Legend with a Nikon Black Force 1-4(illuminated).

I run the 2-12 and 3-18 Leupold on my other hunting rifles but they just arent really necessary here in Iowa, especially on the 350 Legend. If illumination is a must have:

VX5 2-10 Firedot
VX5 1-5 Firedot
VXR 3-9
VX Freedom 3-9 Firedot

If you dont need illumination, Leupold makes a 350 Legend specific scope in 3-9 as well.

The VX5 line of glass is superior to the VX3i/Freedom/VX-R line.

Shoot me an email if you're interested, I have used all the above scopes extensively hunting in the midwest.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Did you happen to look through the scopes in the conditions you will be hunting in? Lots of scope will seem equal when looking through them at the gun counter.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint with green Mil-dot reticle (TR20-2G):

https://www.eurooptic.com/trij...-with-green-dot.aspx

One of the best all-around hunting scopes I have used, especially in this price range. Very good glass, excellent in low light. The small green center dot is very easy to pick up. Lightweight at only 13oz and reliable enough for heavy recoil. No batteries required.

I’ve used this scope on various rifles to hunt in different areas and conditions all over the country, several of my hunting buddies have the same great experience with it on their rifles. Currently have it mounted on my .260 Rem Tikka that I used to drop a Wyoming Antelope at 350 yards 2 seasons ago.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
^^^yep, I do like the Trijicon scopes as well.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Nikon top of the line ProStaff and above for me. The Black line was not out when I purchased years ago.
I am very satisfied with quality and price of the Nikon.
I have on for deer on my Sig SHR 970 and the rim fire model on my Savage target rifle.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd put a meopta meopro 3-9x40 on it.

I used one of them for the entire moose season so rainy, low light conditions the whole month and the scope performed well, I think I paid around 400 dollars for it. They are basically a rebadged zeiss conquest scope and a real sleeper in my opinion.

If you are comfortable in the 700 dollar range, the swarovski z3 3-10 would be a good choice as well.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
I use 1-5 Leupold Scout VXR on my 45-70. My son uses a Leupold Mark AR 1-4 (illuminated) on his 44mag. I just setup my buddies Ruger MPR 350 Legend with a Nikon Black Force 1-4(illuminated).

I run the 2-12 and 3-18 Leupold on my other hunting rifles but they just arent really necessary here in Iowa, especially on the 350 Legend. If illumination is a must have:

VX5 2-10 Firedot
VX5 1-5 Firedot
VXR 3-9
VX Freedom 3-9 Firedot

If you dont need illumination, Leupold makes a 350 Legend specific scope in 3-9 as well.

The VX5 line of glass is superior to the VX3i/Freedom/VX-R line.

Shoot me an email if you're interested, I have used all the above scopes extensively hunting in the midwest.

IF Illuminated is what you want, the nightforce SHV 3-10 with the illuminated forceplex is pretty awesome, I've had one for awhile and really like it, you can get one for around 800 dollars and I'd take one over anything Leupold makes.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crockett040:
The scopes you mentioned will far outpace the capabilities of the 350 legend. It's a great round but at most a 300 yard gun.
My opinion, I would stick with leupold, but look for a smaller magnification range. IE 2-10 or 4-14

eta

I'll go along with that. It's a short range cartridge and doesn't need a large magnification. I'll vote for Leupold as well.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my Remington Model Seven .243 Winchester, I have a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5.

It seems like a good scope at a good price. It would work fine for the range that you fire.

My son has several Vortex Diamondbacks in different powers. He loves them.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Nikon top of the line ProStaff and above for me. The Black line was not out when I purchased years ago.
I am very satisfied with quality and price of the Nikon.
I have on for deer on my Sig SHR 970 and the rim fire model on my Savage target rifle.

I'll 2nd this.
Monarch on my 270Win Tikka T3x
Prostaff on my boss's 243 Tikka T3
Buckmasters on my broth in law's 308 Rem700

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post