New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK433 Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted
With Sig withdrawing from the German Bundeswehr trials (for their armed services rifle replacement) & Rheinmetall/Steyr-Mannlicher out, the HK433’s potential adoption is improved. If it does succeed, a civilian variant would almost certainly be launched. Given the U.S. import law restriction (stupidity) and the U.S. being the largest market, it would seem logical that HK produce some # of these in their GA plant. My fingers are tightly crossed this is the case and curious if any SF members have heard or read of any such plans.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
What gives you the indication that a civilian variant would be made??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

So a corporation shouldn’t pursue an adjacent market by creating a one-off product using a manufacturing facility that may have capacity & uses close to the same resources (supplies, equipment & personnel)? What percent of HK firearms were historically introduced into both markets (discounting differences in class 3 firearm operation)?
To the best of my knowledge, the German Republic currently fields the G36 (the civilian versions of which are the HK243 and the older SLR), in addition to the HK416A5 / G38 (the civilian version of which is the MR556A1).

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:

So a corporation shouldn’t pursue an adjacent market by creating a one-off product using a manufacturing facility that may have capacity & uses close to the same resources (supplies, equipment & personnel)? What percent of HK firearms were historically introduced into both markets (discounting differences in class 3 firearm operation)?
To the best of my knowledge, the German Republic currently fields the G36 (the civilian versions of which are the HK243 and the older SLR), in addition to the HK416A5 / G38 (the civilian version of which is the MR556A1).

I made no suggestion that they shouldn’t. I would love if they did. My question is what gives the indication that they will?
Outside of their AR platform HK is not known for bringing their rifles to the US civilian market that he was referring to.
Unless I am missing something. I have never seen a Civilian model G36 for sale in the states with any substantial numbers if at all.

The SL8 and USC maybe but those are far neutered products of their original deliniation.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Outside of their AR platform HK is not known for bringing their rifles to the US civilian market

Exactly. HK is pretty notorious for this.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
A classic HK move would be to discontinue the MR556 and still not sell the 433

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3584 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
A classic HK move would be to discontinue the MR556 and still not sell the 433
Lol, no doubt!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
& Rheinmetall/Steyr-Mannlicher out

huh? when was that?

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
quote:

huh? when was that?

http://augengeradeaus.net/2018...nnlicher-steigt-aus/

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Military weapons designers (HK and FN most come to mind) have a different way of viewing things. They believe in this pecking order.

1)the military
2) ?
3) ?
4) the military
5) ?
6) everybody else.

The just march to the beat of a different drum. I was on the implementation team at work to get a new rifle for SWAT. I wanted the SCAR-L in a 10.5 because I was shooting SCARs a lot at the time and can shoot the crap out of one. I went to the armorers school and everything. When we began to discuss replacement parts, FN said "Ah, you can order them from Winchester like everyone else". I found out that they didn't have a supply chain for LE for their products. Whatever extra spare parts they have at the time a contract is over, they'd dump into the civilian side.

Needless to say HK got the contract from us. And they were only slightly better but they could guarantee us a pipeline to get parts. They couldn't guarantee us that we'd actually be able to get the parts, but that there was a pipeline.

Years later, we are slowly phasing out all the 10 inch guns that have been worn out for off the shelf 14.5 inch guns.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HERITAGE
posted Hide Post
Like Dakor, I hope they produce a semi-auto version of the 433 in their GA plant. They made a few HK 45 and 45C there. Did production of those pistols go back to Germany? Why build the plant here in the US if not to overcome the import restrictions?

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HERITAGE:
Like Dakor, I hope they produce a semi-auto version of the 433 in their GA plant. They made a few HK 45 and 45C there. Did production of those pistols go back to Germany? Why build the plant here in the US if not to overcome the import restrictions?
They also export weapons from the US plant to get around restrictions from exporting from Germany, or at least that is what I've read.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The G36 has been out for 20 years or so, and HK did in fact make a civilian version of it called the SL-8, which was released in the late 90s. However, it was badly neutered. Since then, they’ve released a more straightforward G36 clone called the HK243, which has been available in Europe for a few years now, but no plans have been announced for them to start making them in the US. Remember, HK is a German company and Germany has export restrictions on weapons of war, in addition to the US import restrictions.

The main reason for them building the new plant in the US is to support building HK416/M27s and pistols for Mil/LE contracts. Civilians get the benefits on the pistols because there are a lot less restrictions on them and there is more of a market, but for rifles, it’s tougher, meaning either they have to be made from a mix of US/German parts, or made entirely in the US. The chances of them making a civilian HK433 just for us without them getting a big German government contract is about zero. Even if they did, the chances of them making a US civilian version aren’t great, given the hoops involved.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HERITAGE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info RHINOWSO; that makes sense too.

Posts: 328 | Location: MI | Registered: November 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by HERITAGE:
They also export weapons from the US plant to get around restrictions from exporting from Germany, or at least that is what I've read.

Do you not have to have a plant stateside to in order to get mil contracts here? I thought thats why the opened the plant in Ga?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Having a plant in the US does get them around import restrictions, but they'd still have to make the decision to manufacture the rifles here.

If their plant is set up to manufacture M27s and pistols, and the US military does not buy their 433s, there'd have to be enough market to create an entirely separate line of semi-auto 433s because the 433 doesn't have a lot in common with the M27 or HK's pistols. That's a lot of investment for products that are on the cutting edge of most politicians ban-wish-list.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
quote:

huh? when was that?

http://augengeradeaus.net/2018...nnlicher-steigt-aus/

Crud. So the odds of us seeing one here in the US anytime like soon just plummeted.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post