SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Today I confirmed my Zero
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today I confirmed my Zero Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Harkening back to Para's thread "Today I cleaned my rifle"

Today I confirmed my zero....I also function tested the new Fostech Echo GII trigger I installed last weekend.

Picked up a MagPul 60 rnd drum but since I was shooting at the PA gamelands public range during hunting season I forewent the drum dump.

To all my invisible friends in VA....might get Spicy soon....always good to know your Zero is true and know your dope.

Still need to zero my IR laser...maybe tonight...

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
It's worth stating.

And it's worth hearing.

Heard.

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
You are a;ways welcome at my ranch!

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rainman....hope you and your misses are doing well!

Your little piece of Texas is sweet.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
All my rifles are sighted in for one particular load with the bullet drop out to 600 yard in 100 yard increments which is on a piece of paper taped to the underside of the stock.

So all I have to do is check the distance and then see how much to hold over or under at the particular distance.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mine are GTG.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
How does one zero an IR laser? With NVGs?

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Might as well check the focus on the nods and check the batteries too.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
At least somewhat related, I ran a current CC handgun through some tests yesterday.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR15, 16 inch barrel.
Range I can get to is limited to 20 yards. How low should point of impact be from point of aim?

Thanks

Posts: 726 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still_bill:
AR15, 16 inch barrel.
Range I can get to is limited to 20 yards. How low should point of impact be from point of aim?

Thanks

About 1.5” low at 20 or so yards should be close enough to point of aim at 100 yards.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
How does one zero an IR laser? With NVGs?

Yup

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
AR15, 16 inch barrel.

The height of the sight line over the bore has a significant effect on that question.

My sight height with an Aimpoint CompML3 and LaRue LT659 quick detach mount for the M68 CCO is 2.8 inches. Using that setup and careful live fire testing, at 15 yards the POI is 1.7 inches below point of aim. At 25 yards the POI is 1.2 inch below POA. The zero is at 50 and ~200 yards with Lake City M193 ammunition under sea level conditions, but at such close shooting distances variations in the type of ammunition will have negligible effect.

Using those figures in conjunction with a ballistics solver, I believe that at 20 yards the POI would be about 1.5 inch (~ 1 1/2") below for a 50 yard zero (which is my recommendation for a defensive use AR under most circumstances). At that setting I calculate the POI would be about 1.9 inches high at 100 yards.

Keep in mind, though, that such close range zeroing will give “close enough” results at best. Any small variation in point of impact or sight height will have a large effect at longer distances. When possible the zero should be confirmed at the longer ranges.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
In the same vein, today I loaded hundreds of rounds into magazines.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Likewise - upped my supply depot of ammunition by reloading 500 rounds of 6.8 SPC and 200 rounds of 9mm!

He Is No Fool Who Gives What He Cannot Keep,
To Gain That Which He Cannot Lose!

Posts: 593 | Location: central nebraska | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I checked my safe...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
AR15, 16 inch barrel.

The height of the sight line over the bore has a significant effect on that question.

My sight height with an Aimpoint CompML3 and LaRue LT659 quick detach mount for the M68 CCO is 2.8 inches. Using that setup and careful live fire testing, at 15 yards the POI is 1.7 inches below point of aim. At 25 yards the POI is 1.2 inch below POA. The zero is at 50 and ~200 yards with Lake City M193 ammunition under sea level conditions, but at such close shooting distances variations in the type of ammunition will have negligible effect.

Using those figures in conjunction with a ballistics solver, I believe that at 20 yards the POI would be about 1.5 inch (~ 1 1/2") below for a 50 yard zero (which is my recommendation for a defensive use AR under most circumstances). At that setting I calculate the POI would be about 1.9 inches high at 100 yards.

Keep in mind, though, that such close range zeroing will give “close enough” results at best. Any small variation in point of impact or sight height will have a large effect at longer distances. When possible the zero should be confirmed at the longer ranges.

I have found these targets to be helpful. I use them to get a rough 100 zero at 25, then kick out to confirm. But for someone with limited range the can help.

http://arma-dynamics.com/red-dot-zero-targets.html

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I checked my safe...

Is that a banana in your safe, or are your bullets just happy to be here?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
In the same vein, today I loaded hundreds of rounds into magazines.

I hope you used an Upula loader. If not, your thumbs will need therapy. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yup, except for the 32 round 9mm Colt sticks. They kind of suck...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post