SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hard Chrome IAC "Chinchester" 1897
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hard Chrome IAC "Chinchester" 1897 Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
This is my "Chinese Made Winchester" or "Chinchester" model 1897 in 12 gauge.

I bought it from Classic Old West Guns, who get the guns with Coyote Cap Action jobs and then send them out to be hard chromed. I can't believe how slick it is!

With my Stainless Marlin

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 21651 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Report This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Very nice...I'm betting its one slick '97 Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 6941 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Hardway
posted Hide Post
Very nice!
My blue version should be here about the 18Th.
Thanks to you guidance, I think I made a good choice and looking forward to getting started with CAS!

Posts: 931 | Location: Ft Worth,TX | Registered: April 14, 2009Report This Post
Picture of dusty3030
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Straight shootin!
dusty

Posts: 2971 | Location: Memphis, mf'n, TN | Registered: August 13, 2005Report This Post
Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
Nice!!

Do they sell one in blue?

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4702 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice only problem is they end up more expensive than a good condition original!

Posts: 2048 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Report This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
Nice!!

Yes. They even make the "Trench gun" model with heat shield and bayonet lug. But the Trench gun isn't legal for Cowboy Action.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 21651 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the quality like, and do the parts between the clones and real deal interchange? I have been wanting a trench gun for years

Posts: 2249 | Registered: December 06, 2006Report This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
What is the quality like, and do the parts between the clones and real deal interchange? I have been wanting a trench gun for years

The quality is good. I don't believe many of the parts interchange, but the #1 1897 authority in the country went over to the factory in China and instructed them in how to build them right. He also still works with them on quality issues and helps test materials. Stocks are Walnut and not "palette wood" as their first ones were before he got involved. Parts are readily available, but I've not known many that have ever broken even with the abuse Cowboy guns get.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

I checked and my buddy SOLD the Trench gun he had for sale.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rolan_Kraps,

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
There's something you don't see everyday. I'm all for stainless lever guns. I'd considered those Chincesters but never thought about hard chrome. Nice improvement. I'd be interested to know how reliable it runs after a year or so.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Report This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I'd be interested to know how reliable it runs after a year or so.

I had a blued one that I shot off and on for years.

I know people who have had the chromed ones for years and don't report any issues.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Picture of 3/4Flap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
I'd be interested to know how reliable it runs after a year or so.

I had a blued one that I shot off and on for years.

I know people who have had the chromed ones for years and don't report any issues.

The design is incredibly robust. I think I mentioned that years ago I read that Winchester had a '97 at their ammo plant they used for testing shotshells and the thing fired over 1 MILLION rounds in the course of its service. No idea how many parts were replaced over that time.

"For certainly no legislation can be supposed more wholesome and necessary in the founding of a free, self-governing commonwealth, fit to take rank as one of the coordinate States of the Union, than that which seeks to establish it on the basis of the idea of the family, as consisting in and springing from the union for life of one man and one woman in the holy estate of matrimony"; United States Supreme Court Ruling, Murphy v. Ramsey 1885.
The hardest trail leads to the highest peak.
"A liberal is a person whose immediate interests are not at stake."

Posts: 4702 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: May 20, 2005Report This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Until I decided I wanted to get into SASS more, I just took the heat shield/bayonet lug off my trench gun and used it. Cowboy loads won't hurt an original 1897 that has been cared for.

Posts: 6420 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Report This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived last week but I've been out of town. Just picked up today and it is better than I expected. Nicely done, Coyote Cap job has made it smooth and the walnut is nicely figured. I'm impressed.

While picking up noticed the shop had the new blued Ruger Shopkeeper...that has been on my list and after a bit of back and forth picked that up too. Now to get them out to the range. At some point plan to find the time to start up with the action shooting ...Okeechobee north of us apparently has a few shoots.

Thanks to Rolan for posting and giving me the idea!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.”

Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1194 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Hardway
posted Hide Post
Very nice FlyingScot.
Still waiting on my blued version...maybe Wednesday.

Posts: 931 | Location: Ft Worth,TX | Registered: April 14, 2009Report This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I shot mine in the match yesterday. It wasn't pretty. But I mainly bought this for Wild Bunch.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:
Nice!!

Yes. They even make the "Trench gun" model with heat shield and bayonet lug. But the Trench gun isn't legal for Cowboy Action.

I bought one of the IAC trench guns a few years ago from a guy in our gun club. Love the vintage trench gun looks. The Winchesters are too spendy for my interests right now. This one scratched that itch for me.
I like that you can hold the trigger and rack the slide and it keeps going!

HK Ag

Posts: 2102 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great How much did the chrome job cost? I just picked up a fairly well used 1897 dirt cheap at a small gun show this weekend. It's my first 1897, in fact I think it is the first one I've ever even handled. Seems pretty solid but I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but it sure could look better.

Posts: 779 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the chrome cost as it was a package deal. Gun, Action work, and Chroming on new gun for $895.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer