SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Have a friend who moved up to Alaska and wants to start hunting,
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have a friend who moved up to Alaska and wants to start hunting, Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted
He's looking at taking any of the larger game that's available there. I mentioned the usual, Browning,CZ,Winchester in calibers ranging from 7mm to .338 but he mentioned he has a messed up rotator cuff and was wanting to know of an AR platform with a caliber that would do it all. I'm familiar with the AR10 style up to a .308. What other options are out there(.458 Socom might be too much).

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
There is a .450 Bushmaster and a .375 SOCOM (458 necked down to 375) but I don't know if they would deliver any less thump to his shoulder.

In the AR-10 platform, I believe you can get plenty of hunting loads, though for big Alaskan game, you'd probably be limited to .338 Federal or .358 Win.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does he want to shoot big bears??? Or just get anmoose and a few caribou every year and maybe take a trip to hunt blacktails once in awhile???

The Winchester 70 30-06 is the “official” gun of Alaska and it works for all of that stuff.

I don’t know anyhMthint about ARs so I can’t help with that. But seems like one in 308 would be ok, or even just a nice 8lb rifle in 308 shouldn’t kick that bad and would be fine for everything up here.

Before I moved to AK I thought everybody would have 338wm, 375HH, 416rigby etc etc, but that’s just not the reality, people have those but most of them Do t seem to get used much. I have a few 375s and I’m not even sure I’d take it for a serious bear hunt.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
AR10 can be had any pretty much any caliber imaginable. Nemo has a 300WM among others. If recoil is a problem, the typical calibers used for big game will also likely be an issue. I have a feeling hes going to have to decide whats more important. If dangerous or very large game arent on the menu, Id look at a AR10 in 6.5CM or possinly .243.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what he feels is a thumping. I have a DTA 338LM that feels about like a 308 maybe a bit better with a good break. Maybe an autoloader like a BAR in 30-06? That gives you plenty of gun and a gas system to soak it up.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
No matter what route he goes, get a good brake. They are loud, but knock off a good bit of felt recoil. If a bolt gun, then also suggest a better recoil pad. When I was doing gunsmithing full time I did a ton of hunting guns for those with shoulder or back issues and always started there.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SCAR 17 is about the softest shooting .308 I’ve ever fired. If you can get over the 16 inch barrel That’d be a fine choice.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I remember the Cobb ARs in .30/06, but I don't think they're around anymore.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LVJD:
SCAR 17 is about the softest shooting .308 I’ve ever fired. If you can get over the 16 inch barrel That’d be a fine choice.

16in barrel wont give up much at typical hunting ranges.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
He's looking at taking any of the larger game that's available there. I mentioned the usual, Browning,CZ,Winchester in calibers ranging from 7mm to .338 but he mentioned he has a messed up rotator cuff and was wanting to know of an AR platform with a caliber that would do it all. I'm familiar with the AR10 style up to a .308. What other options are out there(.458 Socom might be too much).

Start with a good definition of "any of the larger game". Does that include grizzly and polar bears? Or moose, caribou, and black bears? Form follows function.

Assuming factory ammo, AR-10s can be purchased from 6mm/.243 bores up to .338 bores, in standard action length -- meaning a case roughly of the size and capacity of a .308. A few specialty shops make ARs which handle long cases and magnum calibers.

458 SOCOM is meant for an AR-15, and is likely about the biggest thumper of that class of cartridge. Muzzle energy on the round will likely max at 2400-ish foot pounds.

308 Win is meant for an AR-10. Expect max muzzle energies of about 2700 foot pounds.

338 Federal is another AR-10 chamber. Max muzzle energies of about 3100 foot pounds.

The lighter side of AR-10 chambers include 7mm-08, 260/6.5, and 244/6mm. Muzzle energies will be less than 308. In the middle of the pack will be the 260/6.5, with max energies of 2300-2400 foot pounds.

Recoil reduction can occur in the following ways:
- increase the weight of the rifle
- reduce the power of the load
- add some form of mechanical recoil absorption to the stock
- add some form of muzzle brake, which also includes silencers
- for a semi auto platform, DI may offer slightly less perceived recoil than a piston system of the same basic configuration, but many shooters will be unable to tell the difference

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I think his max game would be grizzly but would be in an ohoh moment. More than likely caribou, moose and black bear.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
338 federal. Federal power shok 200gr 2700 fps at muzzle. This little round packs a real punch. I own a Tika t3 in this caliber.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post