Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have owned one for 30 years and have never regretted purchasing it. These days I use it mostly in a shotgun/handgun skills course that involves firing a lot of rounds quickly and have had no problems with it. I mostly shoot light “target” loads, but there’s never been an issue with heavy buckshot or slugs either.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have an M2 and it is superb.

I found a used M1 for a buddy who wanted something similar and now I regret not keeping it for myself.

Inertia drive just runs and runs. So light. I used to have an FN SLP and poo-pooed the advantage of inertia over gas but now I don't think I could ever go back.

My M2 doesn't run with the 980 FPS reduced noise AA target load but every other ammo I have ever given it runs like a champ.

Nice thing about the way that inertia springs work is they self regulate the amount of energy put into the action. If you happen to run hot ammo like 3" mags for hunting, it won't beat the action to death.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a believer.

The recoil is pretty stout, I'm not going to lie.

It's my go-to loaded 24/7 HD long-arm.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I missed more than I should have here:

https://youtu.be/fz_ePPNbLsI?t=1m39s

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Check out the Franchi Affinity as well, if you can't find a good condition M1 for a good price.

To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Have a m1 sbs and a m2 field and a sbe2 field. All have run without issue. When I got the m1 I did refurb it alot. But it was pretty much cosmetic and put new springs in. In the guns defense, it was a duty gun for 20 yeara prior and was beat to shit but still worked flawlessly before i touched it.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I remeber a time when no one would have called an M1S90 the "cheaper" alternative.

Other than my shoulder tends to have a reverse Benelli logo shaped tattoo after a match I never had a problem, using mine in matches. I think they run better than the more complicated successors, but they say you have to run them fairly stock, extra weight messes up the recoil action. Mine is box stock except for paint on the sights.

Another good choice is the Beretta 1201, which is based on the Benelli action. One round less and a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it but have found that it will not properly cycle light loads (7 1/2 birdshot.) Other than not cycling light loads, mine is great.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I have one and love it but have found that it will not properly cycle light loads (7 1/2 birdshot.) Other than not cycling light loads, mine is great.

Mine will cycle any cheap Walmart load I throw at it.

You may need a lighter action spring. They are available.

Or shoot it a lot more and break it in.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I still have the first one I bought new 25+ years ago. It currently wears wood M1 furniture, 28” rib choke tube barrel. I also have a 20” rifle sight barrel with a rail mounted to it for a red dot sight, and a 18.5” choke tube barrel.

The M1 will feed anything without fail. You can put a light target load followed by a slug and it won’t care. But as someone mentioned earlier, they will thump on you.

I also have an M4. It also will feed anything, but shoots much softer.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Other than some buckshot and slugs, my M2 has never had anything through it but many many many boxes of cheap bulk Federal Walmart type stuff. It's one gun I've bought that I've never regretted buying and has brought me nothing but joy owning.

I like it so much that I started looking for a used, semi beater M1S90 because my M2 is "raced up" and less general purpose. (wallowed out action, +7 tube, match saver, over sized controls etc). That searched changed directions slightly and I ended up with an SBE that I chopped down instead. But even though I have no real use for it and literally have a safe full of shotguns, if I ran across an M1S90 at the right price I'd still buy it.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I've owned several M1S90's and and earlier Benelli and it's just perfect. I started having arthritis problems in my shoulder and tried running the 00 buck and slugs with low or managed recoil rounds and it ran them flawlessly and bought me a few more years behind a Benelli. Only shotgun better than and M1 is an M2.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine (with 18.5" barrel, three chokes (F, M and IC) and extended magazine for 7+1+1) since 1992. Never had a problem with any and all ammo; just lucky I guess, heard some have had problems with light loads. Threw on a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock to shorten the LOP from 14+ to 12.5+, much improved to shoulder and shoot. Worth every penny.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madmatt:
Threw on a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock to shorten the LOP from 14+ to 12.5+, much improved to shoulder and shoot. Worth every penny.

Now you made me go spend money!! Big Grin

I assume its a pretty simple swap out and the reliability wasn't affected

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We’ve had the 14” version since 2001 and all are still shooting fine.
Some have rust, others missing sights but they still work. They don’t get shot much, maybe 30 rounds a month.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8010 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you made me go spend money!! Big Grin

I assume its a pretty simple swap out and the reliability wasn't affected

------------------------------------[/QUOTE]

Very simple swap and hasn't missed a beat since I installed myself! If anything, the Urbino is lighter weight than standard and may be even more conducive to the inertia system. Also, the Urbino came with a decent recoil pad compared to the "no" pad of the M1S90.
Love Benelli but the LOP has always been a bit much. More comfortable and more importantly, faster to shoulder.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned mine for over 20 years, it's my favorite shotgun. The only thing I would ever replace it with would be a Benelli M4.

Posts: 31 | Location: TN | Registered: April 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:

Mine will cycle any cheap Walmart load I throw at it.

You may need a lighter action spring. They are available.
Or shoot it a lot more and break it in.

Thanks IB, I've had it for around 2 years now and have only shot it a few times. I'll take it out when I go next time and see if I can't get it to loosen up a bit.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
While I do not know what he shoots now, a very well known Instructor in Adams County, Ohio used a M1S90 for years. He swore it was the best shotgun, for him. It has been a few years and I will try to find out what he shoots now.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post