SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mk18 'stripped' upper @ brownells $719
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Mk18 'stripped' upper @ brownells $719 Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
Brownells has the Mk18 stripped upper for $719. In the Q&A it looks like the only thing "stripped" about it is that it doesnt come with BCG/CH or muzzle device. The complete MK18 upper is about $350 more.

Im sorely tempted to nab one. Any reason why i shouldn't?


☣Biohazard☣
 
Posts: 7043 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I read the description but I'm not getting what about that is worth $700+ ?


_____________________________________________________
Sliced bread, the greatest thing since the 1911.

 
Posts: 16158 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Use discount code H7L for $20 off plus free shipping.
 
Posts: 4186 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I read the description but I'm not getting what about that is worth $700+ ?


The MK18 rail. they sell used for $500+

I have kicked around the idea of buy that upper especially when Brownells has the 10% off coupons but never do.
 
Posts: 550 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

The MK18 rail. they sell used for $500+


A lot of AR stuff used to sell for a lot more... some of which you can't give away now. Wink


_____________________________________________________
Sliced bread, the greatest thing since the 1911.

 
Posts: 16158 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
The MK18 rails still fetch a premium from people building clones.
 
Posts: 550 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Im not huge into the clone scene, but i am admittedly, at this point, a bit of a Daniel Defense fanboy with their parts and stuff. And the MK18, to me, is just a good hard-use gun.


☣Biohazard☣
 
Posts: 7043 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I read the description but I'm not getting what about that is worth $700+ ?


The MK18 rail. they sell used for $500+

I have kicked around the idea of buy that upper especially when Brownells has the 10% off coupons but never do.


Yup, the closest DD has come yet, to offering the rail by itself.

Now, if they would only offer the true milspec ported barrel instead of the overgassed civilian "but-somebody-might-shoot-wolf-through-it" version.
 
Posts: 17425 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Daniel Defense changed the gas port diameter on all 10.3" barrels to .071 (barrels manufactured after June 2017).

Discussion about same here (with confirmation from several members):
http://www.m4carbine.net/showt...ht=overgassed+dd+k18

Confirmed - a friend who purchased a factory complete MK18 in 2014 had his barrel replaced a few months ago.

tp
 
Posts: 874 | Location: Back in Texas... | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of l33571
posted Hide Post
Second confirm on the barrel replacement to the mil-spec port diameter. DD replaced mine in June of 2015 after I complained about complete unreliability when running suppressed.
 
Posts: 214 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Brownells has the Mk18 stripped upper for $719. In the Q&A it looks like the only thing "stripped" about it is that it doesnt come with BCG/CH or muzzle device. The complete MK18 upper is about $350 more.

Im sorely tempted to nab one. Any reason why i shouldn't?


I got one of the M4A1 SOCOM uppers with the DD RIS II rail delivered for $629. Worth it? I wanted it so I got it. So I got a DD barrel and a $300+ rail, and a DD upper receiver for free essentially.
 
Posts: 3411 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
Second confirm on the barrel replacement to the mil-spec port diameter. DD replaced mine in June of 2015 after I complained about complete unreliability when running suppressed.


That's good to hear.

I always thought it was odd that they would not offer both diameters.
 
Posts: 17425 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Brownells has the Mk18 stripped upper for $719. In the Q&A it looks like the only thing "stripped" about it is that it doesnt come with BCG/CH or muzzle device. The complete MK18 upper is about $350 more.

Im sorely tempted to nab one. Any reason why i shouldn't?


I got one of the M4A1 SOCOM uppers with the DD RIS II rail delivered for $629. Worth it? I wanted it so I got it. So I got a DD barrel and a $300+ rail, and a DD upper receiver for free essentially.


You did well. A friend has a full DD MK18 pistol that he SBR'd. It's heavy and chunky. He changed the rail shortly after receiving his stamp. Kind of defeats the point in my opinion but it's his rifle. I wouldn't mind owning one.
 
Posts: 1715 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I bought my complete upper a few years ago from Aim Surplus. You might send Bryan an email because he really treated me right for just a little more money that the $750 they've advertised.
 
Posts: 319 | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I guess its great if you want a period correct rifle or just a pig of an SBR.
 
Posts: 40300 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I guess its great if you want a period correct rifle or just a pig of an SBR.


This in my opinion. Unless you are just building a clone.




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
 
Posts: 7639 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I get that not everybody is me. But... I like everything I use to be simple. To me, a simple AR is a carbine-gassed 14.5" upper with either a quality carbine-length rail or a Magpul OEM handguard with one piece of 3-slot Piccatiny rail attached on the left side for a light. Might have an RDS and a set of BUIS, or it might have a carry handle on it. More of my carbines are set up with the carry handle than the RDS. To me, that long rail just looks like it was made for an excuse to hang a bunch of extra crap on it that a person really doesn't need. But I do understand if someone is trying to build a clone of some certain rifle. Just not my cup of tea.
 
Posts: 1724 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Are people still using quad rails?
 
Posts: 294 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
Are people still using quad rails?


The extra weight doubles as a muzzle break of sorts, so there’s that. Smile
 
Posts: 3411 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xmod:
Are people still using quad rails?


Sure. They work.
 
Posts: 326 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mk18 'stripped' upper @ brownells $719

© SIGforum 2018