SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    UTG Scopes, Any experince?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UTG Scopes, Any experince? Login/Join 
Picture of SOTAR
posted
My brother is looking to put a scope on his HR.

He doesn't want a red dot.

He'll probably be using it as a range gun 50-100 yards. Plinking. I believe it is a flat top carbine.

I suggested he look at these models from UTG. Both were well-reviewed, and rated by 2 random reports I found online.

So turning to the Sig Forum brain trust

UTG 3-12 UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings

Or the

UTG Bug Buster

Any feedback on UTG scopes. I known the rings are Made in USA. He'd like to buy made in USA scope as well. I'm not sure there is a $200 or less USA scope worth buying for an AR or not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SOTAR,

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you buy UTG garbage Chinesium? I would instead look at options from manufacturers that don’t sell Chinese crap.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2323 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, for his expected price point everything is going to be Chinesium. While dials / cooolie turrets / MilDot reticles are neat looking, for his intended use (100 yards), they are absolutely not needed.

For inexpensive but more quality optics, I recommend Burris MTAC 1-4x24 (I owned one before selling the rifle / optic to a friend in need of an AR) and other Burris offerings. Mostly made in the PI in their OEM factory, they have a number of budget offerings in the $200 range.

If he wants USA-ish made, I would say look at the Leupold "Freedom" lineup.

While UTG isn't my choice of anything, they must be doing something right because they sell a lot of stuff. They have a "LIFETIME WARRANTY - The Best Never Rest Warranty - Lifetime" on their website and those scopes have a lot of stars on Amazon, so for yearly plinking trips, they might not be completely awful scopes.

Thinking back, I owned an optic similar to the "UTG 3-12X44 30mm Compact Scope, AO, 36-color Mil-dot, Rings" and had it on my MP-15/22 for awhile before putting a Japanese Weaver on it. Scope seemed to work fine, I believe it was the Walmart version of the same.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rhinowso.

I'm really here looking for scope recommendations for him. Also for feedback on the UTG. You gave both.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOTAR:
Thanks, Rhinowso.

I'm really here looking for scope recommendations for him. Also for feedback on the UTG. You gave both.

I’ve never even seen a UTG scope but have bought some armor panels and discreet weapons cases and was impressed, especially for the money. I just bought a Leupold 1-4x 1” scope for $199 and 2 day shipping. I’d give it a look. https://www.basspro.com/shop/e...eedom-ar-rifle-scope

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I go inexpensive optic, I go Bushnell.
Been pretty good so far.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I found Nikon the be the best of the low cost optics out there. I know they are not producing scopes any longer. But lots out there. The prostaff is a lot of scope for the money. Buck masters too. I would give them a look. Really good glass.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
For inexpensive but more quality optics, I recommend Burris MTAC 1-4x24 (I owned one before selling the rifle / optic to a friend in need of an AR) and other Burris offerings. Mostly made in the PI in their OEM factory, they have a number of budget offerings in the $200 range.

I second Burris, and second the MTAC. All my scopes are Burris and I've never had an iota of trouble from any of them. I've owned Burris since they were made in the USA, and never stopped buying them even after Burris built their own factory in the Philippines with manufacturing equipment from their US plant. They have fantastic glass and built as tough, or tougher, than any other brand out there. They are excellent scopes. Their Fullfield E1 line is excellent. And they can take recoil. I have my E1 on a .30-30, and my MTAC on a .45-70. It holds zero even after firing some thumping hot rounds.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've got a Primary Arms optic that has held zero for years. I think it was sub $200.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
thanks all