SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 rear take down pin. Detent hole too deep?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 rear take down pin. Detent hole too deep? Login/Join 
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted
Had a first today.

I've put together numerous AR-15 rifles and was helping a friend assemble a stripped PSA lower.

Everything was fine except the rear take down pin. It was like the detent in the take down pin was drilled too deep. The detent pin sat at least half way in the hole and when the spring was behind it I could not budge the pin, even when using a nylon punch and brass hammer. I took the spring completely out and the detent pin still held tight even without any tension behind it (until I tipped the lower up, obviously)

I suppose I could remove some of the inside metal on the detents with my dremel, but there's not much sense in making an out of spec part even more out of spec. So, we'll have to wait for PSA to send a new take down pin.

Just to be clear, the upper and lower were not together when the pin was stuck. Has anyone else had an issue like this before? I've always had good luck with the PSA kits so I was surprised with the issue.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 586 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had to clip the detent spring occasionally to make it work.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
I’ve had to clip the detent spring occasionally to make it work.

Yeah, I thought about that, but when I took all the tension off the spring by loosening up the castle nut and receiver plate, and eventually removed it completely, the stinkin' pin still wouldn't budge with just gravity holding it in place, at that point I knew I was beyond clipping the spring.

I had 3 extra springs and detent pins, tried every combo of each, no joy.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 586 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
If the detent pin drops that far in to the take down pin it does sounds like the pin is out of spec.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post