SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9mm vs .223/5.56 from AR Pistols
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm vs .223/5.56 from AR Pistols Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
10" + on a 5.56 barrel will get you almost certain good performance with decent ammo. With less penetration than 9mm. with a nominal size difference (I can't imaging why anyone wants 7" 5.56) I know nothing of .300.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Seems like there are some great bullet options in supersonic loads.

Can anyone give their opinion of the difference in sound levels between 223/556 and 300 BO in pistol configurations?

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sourkraut:
Can anyone give their opinion of the difference in sound levels between 223/556 and 300 BO in pistol configurations?

Short answer -- both are really loud and unpleasant.

The best answer would be measuring the noise of comparable barrels, comparable ammo, in multiple locations with quality decibel meters.

To my plug- and muff-protected ears they're pretty similar. Maybe a touch louder with the 223, but that could be pitch/frequency issue. Both burn about the same amount of powder, both send bullets at supersonic velocities, both are almost certainly achieving incomplete powder burn in the short barrel. Although the 300blk likely burns powder a little better, due to the larger bore volume and greater gas expansion capabilities within the bore.

I shoot suppressed and wear at least one level of ear pro. My 11.3" 300blk is noticeably louder to me than either my 14.5" or 16" 223 AR-15s. Not apples to apples, but I can guarantee that a 300blk SBR is a loud gun.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Fritz, the 300 BO uses pistol powder which is faster burning. I would think it is more efficient at burning up powder in shorter barrels than the 223?

I agree though, a blackout SBR is very loud. I shoot all mine supppressed so not an issue for me.

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sourkraut
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen! Sounds like a another suppressor in my future. Suggestions?

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Louis

Posts: 591 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was doing my research on what caliber AR pistol to build it seemed that the general consensus was that once you get under 10.5 inches, the .300blk is better than 9mm and 5.56 calibers.

I've also read that 6.5 Grendel outperforms 5.56 at an length of barrel. It's great out of longer barrels but apparently doesn't suffer as much as other rounds do once you shorten up the barrel.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks gentlemen! Sounds like a another suppressor in my future. Suggestions?

SiCo Omega with a Keymo mount from Dead Air.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
When I was doing my research on what caliber AR pistol to build it seemed that the general consensus was that once you get under 10.5 inches, the .300blk is better than 9mm and 5.56 calibers.

I've also read that 6.5 Grendel outperforms 5.56 at an length of barrel. It's great out of longer barrels but apparently doesn't suffer as much as other rounds do once you shorten up the barrel.

Truth.

Only disadvantage of the 6.5 is cost and a bit of recoil and perhaps a slightly more fragile bolt.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strambo, how long is the barrel on your Blackout?

My Blackout is an 8.5” pistol. My HD AR however is a 10.5” 5.56 SBR with 62g Fed. Fusion ammo.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me throw 6.8 SPC into the mix. Obnoxiously loud, but incredible ballistics out of short barrels.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
11.5 (more reliable and bolts last longer). Under 11.5, a 300 blackout first then maybe a 10mm.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post