SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Update: now an AR build thread....Original: Adjustable Gas Blocks for an AR-15?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update: now an AR build thread....Original: Adjustable Gas Blocks for an AR-15? Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
Edit:. Well, now I'm building an AR. Who makes good barrels?

Hey y'all!

I'd like to put an adjustable gas block on my Rock River AR-15. Currently I have the standard tower-sight on it. Would like to be able to dial back the gas when I put my suppressor on. A railed top sure would be nice, too, so I could put on a flip-up iron sight.

Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ShneaSIG,

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, railed tops on gas blocks get very hot. A cheap bolt-on front sight certainly won't work well consistently.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
FWIW, railed tops on gas blocks get very hot. A cheap bolt-on front sight certainly won't work well consistently.

I'm not inclined to do this on the cheap. I have a Troy rear flip up that seems very solid. Had Troy in mind for the front as well.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, if you aren't inclined to do it on the cheap, I would just get a new complete upper with an adjustable gas block, railed forend to take any front sight you want, and the suppressor mount you need.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
There are adjustable BCG now, I have never one but, seen some reviews and they are pretty good.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used both the Sadlak and Seekins for running suppressed. I don't know if they make a railed version, as I wanted low-profile models to fit under handguards. JP Enterprises makes one (a railed model) and Doublestar used to make one; not sure if they still do.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Honestly, if you aren't inclined to do it on the cheap, I would just get a new complete upper with an adjustable gas block, railed forend to take any front sight you want, and the suppressor mount you need.

Yep, I’d agree.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you buy one made for your intended purpose. Many (until recent years most?) adjustable gas blocks were made to set and forget, tune a rifle and leave it alone, not to be constantly fiddled with. You don't want to be messing with allen wrenches and little set screws.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t personally like adjustable gas blocks.

I would suggest one of the following:
1. Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. These are excellent provided your rifle isn’t heinously overgassed. Downside is you have to remove the carrier to swap between suppressed and unsuppressed.
2. Black River Tactical reduced size gas port. These are nifty but require gunsmithing either by you or someone capable of doing the work.
3. Black River Tactical reduced gas port gas tube. These are drop in.

What suppressor are you using? That will have a big effect on rifle function. If a high back pressure can like basically all 5.56 AAC, SiCo, Gemtech, the only way to address the gassiness is by reducing the port size.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an adjustable gas block and it seems to be fine. But I changed the barrel to get it as I don't want/use anything that isn't pinned and I couldn't find one that matched the barrel pins that were on the FSB. The bolt carrier (which I have not actually used) seems like something to explore as well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. Gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. These are excellent provided your rifle isn’t heinously overgassed. Downside is you have to remove the carrier to swap between suppressed and unsuppressed.

I have one of these and it works well. That said the newer Bootleg brand does not require the BCG to be removed to change the setting.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure my carbine is overgassed. I think I'll try one of the bolt carriers first since that will just drop in.

Thanks everyone!

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
I had been considering the same thing for my RR ar as well. Looked at lots of options for the adjustable front, changing out the forend guard etc.

In the end I agree that I'll probably just pick up another upper that'll be set up for a suppressor, once that money exists as well.

But I did change out the buffer/buffer spring/tube to VLTOR to help with overgassed system.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Superlative Arms seems to get some talk. Haven't used them.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Well - this just might be snowballing. I'm now thinking of building up a new, dandy AR. Might even make it a piston build for a different flavor and for the fun of doing the project.

Decisions, decisions...

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
I have used the linked adjustable on all 3 of my AR builds. Because I learned that if you tune the gas supply to the minimum required to cycle reliably you'll spend a lot less time cleaning the rifle than you would with a standard Mil Spec gas block. In addition it also softens the recoil impulse and reduces muzzle flip. The Syrac unit is detented with many small stages so it's great for fine tuning the gas supply.

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...block-prod67679.aspx

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Well - this just might be snowballing. I'm now thinking of building up a new, dandy AR. Might even make it a piston build for a different flavor and for the fun of doing the project.

Decisions, decisions...

Piston is definitely a different flavor but it isn't one that I would recommend.

The beauty and refinement of the Stoner expanding gas system is that it deletes a heavy piston, the reciprocating mass, and the disturbance of that mass on the barrel.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Aero just released their version

http://enews.aeroprecisionusa....af5fLB8toE-aJT539VxA

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Eh, FWIW, the Armalite version is available cheaper.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

I have one of these and it works well. That said the newer Bootleg brand does not require the BCG to be removed to change the setting.

One of my friends has Gemtech and Bootleg, the Gemtech is better.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post