SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I'm having BM-59 thoughts...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm having BM-59 thoughts... Login/Join 
posted
Didn't make the local show this weekend as hoped for, but of late I'm been thinking of a good BM-59. Has anyone seen them recently, and recall a vendor? James River Armory produced some from kits on their receivers, but the website seems way out of date. Thanks!

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been thinking of one myself. I believe Classic Firearms is still the dealer for JRA.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Could have sworn I checked the Classic Firearms site earlier, and they showed out of stock. But there they are, approx. $1300. Atlantic Firearms in MD had them also, but out of stock. Thanks for the tip!

posted Hide Post
I have a BM 62. I have had it quite awhile. It is a neat rifle and I like it a lot. You never go wrong with a .308/7.62 Nato battle rifle.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope to see one soon, and look it over. There's a show later this month in Doswell I plan to go to. I love walnut and steel.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Didn't make the local show this weekend as hoped for, but of late I'm been thinking of a good BM-59. Has anyone seen them recently, and recall a vendor? James River Armory produced some from kits on their receivers, but the website seems way out of date. Thanks!

I was at that show and bought one Sat from a guy walking around

JRA model, nice looking rifle

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^(snapping fingers!).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Lyman, I am curious about your new JRA BM 59. When you get a rifle like that at a gun show, do you test fire it or check the headspace or examine it in any way to see if it is safe or operates properly? I saw an article in Shotgun News a few years ago where JRA had sent them a BM59 for evaluation. If I remember correctly Shotgun News ended up with 2 BM59s. The first one did not work, so they returned it to JRA and were sent a second one. The second one had issues also. I remember the article because I am so happy with my Beretta made and assembled BM62 that I was thinking about buying a JRA BM59. But after reading the article, I decided not too. I remember thinking that the JRA BM 59 most really have issues if a gun magazine panned it.

Posts: 618 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen one built by Shuff's Parkerizing? I happened into a cheap M1 receiver a while back, and am tempted by the cheap Sarco kits.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe there is a thread over the CMP website concerning the JRA BM59s. I think they said Shuff quit taking the JRA's in because they were getting swamped with people wanting to get theirs fixed. Personally I don't know anything about JRA BM59's. But would love to get my hands on one a see how it shoots.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Lyman, I am curious about your new JRA BM 59. When you get a rifle like that at a gun show, do you test fire it or check the headspace or examine it in any way to see if it is safe or operates properly? I saw an article in Shotgun News a few years ago where JRA had sent them a BM59 for evaluation. If I remember correctly Shotgun News ended up with 2 BM59s. The first one did not work, so they returned it to JRA and were sent a second one. The second one had issues also. I remember the article because I am so happy with my Beretta made and assembled BM62 that I was thinking about buying a JRA BM59. But after reading the article, I decided not too. I remember thinking that the JRA BM 59 most really have issues if a gun magazine panned it.

the guy I bought it from was upfront and said it did not like commercial ammo (winchester etc) but ran very well, and with out issue on standard ball or any milsurp/surplus ammo he tried,

as far as test firing, unless I keep it for myself, I rarely shoot anything in inventory,

I or my brother will shoot and do a video of any MG we buy, cause A> it's fun, and B> it will sell better if you can prove it runs right,

full disclosure, I am a FFL\SOT, this BM59 is inventory,

so I'll run my gauges thru it, headspace, TE, etc, and flip it if all passes
(I have a mostly complete set of USGI gauges for the 1903/M1/M14/M16 to test firearms with)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Has anyone seen one built by Shuff's Parkerizing? I happened into a cheap M1 receiver a while back, and am tempted by the cheap Sarco kits.

Tim Shufflin is generally regarded as "THE guy" for BM59 builds.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Now just to decide on an Italian or Argentine kit.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
Personally the only way I would get one if it were built on a USGI receiver. The JRA had too many issues with the barrel and their receivers. I acquired a USGI Springfield receiver and an Argentine kit. Sent the receiver and barrel off to Schuff's and I am happy with the results.

I dummied up a fake trip lever to fill the hole on the stock.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tim Shufflin does great work. Although I do not have the BM-59 variant, he did do two Mini-Gs for me. One of which is mag-fed and a full-sized 308 mag-fed as well. His attention to detail is outstanding. The rifles look like they are new and function as such.

I think blfuller is giving you good advice to stay away from JRA.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I think I just saw a Italian BM 59 online for sale. See if I can locate it.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Two Italians and one Springfield on Armslist.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just came from Tim Shufflin's site. The Mini-G conversion sounds real good; if only I still had that $300 Blue Sky Import M-1 from the mid-'90s for a donor... Frown I'll keep my eyes open at the next show close by, would love to see and handle the BM-59.