SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Home Defense Shotgun--Side Saddle or No?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Defense Shotgun--Side Saddle or No? Login/Join 
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted
Remington 870 Express Magnum (etc) or Mossberg 500 (etc), with the longer mag tube for 6 +1 (etc), 12 ga. No. 1 Buck, any need for a side saddle for home defense (you know, one or two miscreants causing miscreance), or just keep it slim and trim? Just looking for opinions on both sides, a fun discussion, not a definitive answer.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I prefer having the extra ammo available. You never know what you're going to get into, and you're going to have to fight with what you have in/on yourself and your gun.

No matter what type of defensive firearm it is, I'm just not comfortable relying on something that only holds 5 to 7 rounds, with no ability to reload. For example, I also wouldn't just grab something like a J frame revolver and expect to rely on its 5 rounds as my sole defensive option.

Posts: 32482 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
quote:
You never know what you're going to get into, and you're going to have to fight with what you have in/on yourself and your gun.

Similarly, I wouldn't just grab something like a 5 shot J frame and call it "good enough".

Sensible, Rogue, as always.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'no' vote for me

if you have a shotgun with an extended tube magazine hard to conceive that wouldn't be enough

a person can always imagine incredible scenarios but IMO those are extremely unlikely where ~7+1 won't be sufficient

but in the end you are the one who has to sleep with your decision

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
'no' vote for me

I hear you, that is a great position. . . .

posted Hide Post
I vote side saddle.
Good place for specialty rounds, like slugs.
Easy to "top up' the magazine if need be.
its about having options.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16056 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
An elastic butt cuff cost $10, adds 5 additional rounds, and doesn't screw up the lines or handling of the shotgun. I personally would MUCH rather have a butt cuff than a side saddle.

And since it only cost $10, and really has no down sides, then YES, at least put one of these on. You probably wont need the extra 5 rounds, but they sit there so peacefully without complaint, I dont see why you wouldn't at least put them on there

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of side saddles for shotguns.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Definitely.

One of the (few, nowadays) benefits of shotguns is the ability to swap ammo from buck to slugs and to top off the magazine. You can't do either without extra ammo on board.

Both are skills taught in any shotgun class worth its salt.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I hate em. Throws the balance off. Throws the handling off (being able to wrap your hand around the action) If I feel I need more rounds ON the gun, a stock cuff works. Not crazy about them, but it's a better option for me.

The only side saddle I can abide is the soft removable "card" style. That way it's only annoying some times. Smile

Posts: 21089 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A "no" here. A G17 is first, the Mossberg is for serious problems. If I've run through several mags of +p and an extended tube of 00, why is a large group of armed attackers at my house?

I agree it is cumbersome for HD.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Elastic side saddle velcroed to the receiver. Pull it off when you don't want it. Slap it on when you do. Have one with slugs and another with buck. Then get 2 more Wink
They also fit nicely in AR mag pouches, for classes.

I like the weight they add to the gun. It soaks up some of the recoil.

Cheap and versatile.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I'm a big fan of side saddles for shotguns.

Weirdly enough, I have side saddles on my "normal" shotguns where they don't screw up the balance and fit into my reload, top-off and ammo swap routines, but intentionally left one off my TAC14. It rides at work as a very specialized niche weapon, primarily for entry into such places as singlewides, and my sole and only immediate action with it, should it malf or go empty is a transition to a handgun.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
on my primary go to "home" shotgun, yes. my others, no. shown is my Remington 870 SBS, its a U.S.S.S. contract gun that I changed the stock on and using a Larue side saddle.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A hard "Yes" here.

Ammo in a tough situation is a lot like money, you can never have enough!

My 870 has a side saddle and an old school Surefire light mount.

When it comes to home defense weapons, take a look at your house, the surroundings... If you're in a downtown condo, an M-240, a Maw-duce, an M-79 / -203 might be a little too much.

You have 40, 50, 500 sprawling acres, large open spaces, house, barn... That 5 shot .38 might be a little under kill.

Whatever your choice is, I recommend a light, extra ammo, and have your cellphone close to it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8331 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
A definite YES.

One of the drawbacks to shotguns are their limited capacity. As was previously mentioned, one never knows what they'll run into and how little or how much ammo they might need. Better to have it and not need it than.. well, you know. Wink

While I too, have other weapons that will come into play before I consider going for my shotgun, ( Benelli M4 with 7 + 1 in the gun and 8 more on a Mesa Tactical shell carrier/receiver rail, ) if I needed to employ my shotgun, I'd feel alot better with the additional ammo readily at hand.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Velcro ammo card on the receiver. Can easily be removed for storage in the safe..

My situation is such that one 223 round would exit my home and enter a neighbor...so I use #4buck and being able to add seven more to the five my Mossberg has is nice.if it runs out of ammo, there is also a full mag from the g19

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11267 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
As a side note, if you're using one on an inertia driven gun, you want one with the elastic loops, not the rigid plastic ones.

I had a friend who'd put one on his match gun and was having malfunctions. He contacted the builder and they finally talked their way around to the fact that my friend had added a side saddle. The next question was is it soft or hard. He told him get rid of it, use a soft one if you must. He did and his malfunctions went away.

Posts: 21089 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I like the old elastic butt stock slip on loops.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
A qualified yes from me...

If you are going to put a side-saddle ammo carrier (mounted on the receiver), make sure you thoroughly function test it (cycle the action and test fire) to ensure the addition of the side saddle does not affect function/reliability. The mounting bolts, if not properly tightened, will cause malfunctions.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post