SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Home Defense Shotgun--Side Saddle or No?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Defense Shotgun--Side Saddle or No? Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a sling bandoleer.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
14 rounds of slug/00 buck, plus a 56 round bandolier for me:

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been an LEO or a military grunt for the last 61 years and I am still working. I have never heard anyone complain after an engagement that they had carried too much ammo.
As far as SGs are concerned I am with Para, never, ever put a sidesaddle on an alloy framed SG, or an inertia driven one either. Butt cuffs are the way to go if you are going to pack ammo on the weapon(just MHO). I use a butt cuff, they do loosen up after a couple of years, but are dirt cheap-even the best of them. Replace em.
I have several shell belts, some really belts, some of the Poncho Villa style. Grabbing one of those gives one a bit of confidence.
I prefer #1 or #4 buck for within 20 meters, I like to go up in shot size outside of that. One thing I never do, and tell all my students never to do, is mix loads either in the magazine or in a specific shell holder(sidesaddle or butt cuff), having a belt or bandoleer has some advantages as it allows separation of loads. When asked why? I always say that you have a legal obligation to know what you are putting out there. I am not concerned with getting criminally charged, but with the absolutely certainty of civil litigation that will ensue after every shooting of some AH who desperately needs it; there will be lawyers, lots of them who will be seeking any kind of anomaly to hang their greasy hat on. And getting the shooter even slightly confused about exactly what he had in his mag or pouch or whatever is that hook, or at least part of one.
At any reasonable defense range #1 or #4 will get the job done. If you are going heavier, fine, just make sure that you are certain of what you are putting out and what you have in reserve, because you may be putting that out also.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen-- I can't tell you how much food for thought all of these excellent points of view have given me. Thank you all so much (what a great forum)! Tom

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
A belated chime-in here with another vote for a butt-mounted cuff for spare shotgun shells.

I was looking for something both functional and “traditional,” I suppose, to help preserve the lines of this ported Remington 1100. I came across a few leather butt cuffs online and opted for one from Galco.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That looks like a fine option if one were concerned about nylon and elastic wearing out. Looks good on that shotgun, too.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
14 rounds of slug/00 buck, plus a 56 round bandolier for me:

Dream set-up for the zombie apocalypse.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAPT29:
One thing I never do, and tell all my students never to do, is mix loads ....

That’s something that became a must for me some years ago when I learned that an experienced (former) member of my agency had the habit of mixing lethal and less-lethal ammunition in his duty shotgun. I imagine that he assumed he would have no trouble remembering which was coming up, but when there are incidents of LEOs’ shooting people with their handguns when they intend to employ a TASER, such thoughtlessness is just crazy. I tell my students now that they must absolutely know what ammunition they’re about to fire with each shot and that’s not possible if they mix types.

(The above officer was also the one who told me his practice when going into an unknown situation that might require either deadly force or a TASER was to carry one in each hand.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post