SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    300blk SBR did its job on father, son, and brother hog hunt
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300blk SBR did its job on father, son, and brother hog hunt Login/Join 
posted
Today’s hunt was very successful. I bagged a 190lb sow and my brother shot a 175 boar hog. My son has shot several hogs and just wanted to be in the stand with dad today. My SBR 300blk with my hand loaded ammo performed wonderfully.

The morning started at 0250 and after an almost 2hour drive, my son, brother and I climbed into the tree stands at about 0550. The temperature was a cool 37 degrees here in Florida but felt much colder with the strong wind gusts we have had for the past few days. At around 0645, 15-20 hogs came into the area. It was still too dark to see clearly through our scopes, so we let all of them pass. There were some huge pigs in that bunch. We did not see anything else, so at 0750 we started climbing out of the stand. As soon as I hit the ground, they came back . I startled them and they all ran away. We then started our stalk on the ground. After about an hour on the ground, this nice red sow gave me a nice broadside shot at around 50yds. The 125gr Speer TNT and Trijicon TR24 did their job. She ran about 15-20 yards and piled up. I was so excited to know that my hand loaded ammo performed well on live game and I now have complete confidence in that load. This will be a mighty fine eating animal . I wish you could join us for pulled pork.

Rifle/Load Info
8.3” Ballistics Advantage Barrel ( home built upper )
RRA SBR Lower

Speer 125gr TNT
17gr IMR 4227
Winchester Small Rifle Primer
Federal 300blk brass
2.05 OAL

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Awesome

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3596 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Nice story, God shooting and good looking sausage. Let's see the cooked version. Big Grin

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Excellent!
Any idea what velocity you get with that load?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Nice looking pigs and good pictures of a happy family. There is no substitute for those memories Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meat on the table and a family memory that will last forever. It doesn't get any better than that.

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Excellent!
Any idea what velocity you get with that load?

Around 1950fps

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun to me!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wow. Looks like you guys had a good time.

I wish we could get a FL hog hunt together. It would give me the perfect excuse to build a .308... Big Grin

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Very nice trip for you fellas! Pulled pork sounds great, enjoy your harvest. So far, all my 10.5" BLK pistol has killed is a Prairie Dog at 165 yds with 110 gr Vmax. Our White Tail deer hunt plan went sour with a kidney stone attack and emergency surgery that set me back in energy and desire.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Well done, sir! Those will be tasty on the smoker.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is awesome! Looks like a great day out.

Posts: 379 | Location: Shenandoah Valley - VA | Registered: February 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
That looks like an awesome time!

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Pulled pork? That’s absolutely one of those foods I can never turn down. Glad you and the family had a successful hunt.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
That looks like a damn good time- congrats on the porkers.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice and great memories!!!

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Now brother, that looks good!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14035 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Love the .300blk setup.
They work great on hogs !

Good to see it’s a family thing too.
Keep knocking them down !!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting your experience. Looks like y'all had a great time!

Taking my Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK and SiCo Omega to the range for its first sighting today. Will be used for deer and hog in January (all inside 125 yards).

Looks like you roll your own ammo. Did you experiment with any box ammo prior and have any thoughts? Barnes VOR-TX seems pretty popular for hunting.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Some good looking Christmas hams right there. That’s exactly the same load me and my boys hunt hogs with.

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post