SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Harris Bipods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harris Bipods Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
So, thinking about picking up an occasional use bipod for my Tikka. I don't see it getting a ton of use, so don't really want to spend the $$$ on an Atlas; plus a quick google shows that the Atlas also requires a pic. rail to attach.

So, with that said, I'm looking at this & would like some pro/con opinions.
Harris HBRM
Is the 6-9" option 'enough' for seated bench use? Sitting with a ruler on my desk at work, 9" would have me slightly 'crouched'.
Alternatively, there is the 1 step up in height:
Harris HBLM
13" Would allow a fully upright sitting position.

Adding to the options, would you opt for smooth or notched legs & swivel or non-swivel?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Definitely notched and swivel with Harris.

Height depends on your intended use / positions (as you indicate).

I think I have a 6-9 notched / swivel on my bolt guns and they work fine from a bench for me (bought it awhile ago).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you absolutely, positively would never use it for anything except for shooting from a bench, nonswivel and smooth legs would be okay. I, however, much prefer notched legs and swivel (ability to tilt left/right), because they are better, IMO, for shooting from the ground. The ability to tilt and adjust for uneven surfaces is obvious, but the notched legs are also better. The smooth legs are infinitely adjustable for length within their range, but it’s done against spring tension which is sort of a pain, and if the friction lock loosens, the bipod will collapse and possibly dump your rifle on the ground (or off the bench). The notched legs click into place and I find them easier to adjust while in the prone position because I’m not fighting to hold them extended while trying to tighten the clamp.

Even if I intended to use it only on a bench, I’d still get the notched legs and swivel top.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
6-9" Harris with notched legs and swivel would be fine. I have one on my Tikka...works fine for me off the bench.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'll add that my first was without the notches, I sold it pretty quickly, for all the reasons sigfreund mentions above. Somehow I was sold on the 'infinite adjust-ability" being a must have, oh how wrong I was.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old Sinclair Gen 2 bipod with which I'm willing to part for a price. It attaches to a sling swivel stud. It's not foldable but it is adjustable for height and cant and so on. It's great on a bench.

Let me know.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
I have an old Sinclair Gen 2 bipod with which I'm willing to part for a price. It attaches to a sling swivel stud. It's not foldable but it is adjustable for height and cant and so on. It's great on a bench.

Let me know.

If you still have my email, please shoot me a photo or two & what you're looking to get for it.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've got a Harris 6-9 for my Sako TRG-22. It works out fine for me on a bench with a bag under the stock behind the trigger. Now the benches at the range are adjustable, so I can setup everything so that I'm comfortable.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Let me know.

If you still have my email, please shoot me a photo or two & what you're looking to get for it.

Is it the F-Class type, or a standard bipod type?

Or

posted Hide Post
It's an F-class, but the one you are showing is the Gen 3 from Sinclair. I have one of those also, but not for sale. Yet. (It's my backup for my Joy-pod.)

I have a picture of the Gen 2 that I will upload in a minute.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
6-9" Harris with notched legs and swivel would be fine. I have one on my Tikka...works fine for me off the bench.

That's the one I would choose as well.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Email sent.

Taking NU up on his offer, thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, I took NikonUser up on his offer. Got to the range yesterday, nearly 3 months after initially getting the rifle.

Tikka T3x .270 on said bipod:

Best target of the day: 5 shots at 100yds.
Need to work on my trigger discipline, first 2 shots were clean, could definitely tell that I pulled the other 3.

posted Hide Post
You're on your way. It was great seeing you again on Friday, however briefly. For this type of bipod, it's a good idea to have some kind of surface on which it will be able to recoil properly and predictably. I used a rubber doormat from Home Deport, but many use a piece of carpet or some such.

That bipod was excellent for me and it served me well. I got the Gen 3 when I built my current rifle because of weight. The Gen 2 was close to 3 pounds, and the Gen 2 was just under 2. I now use a JoyPod, which weighs 13 ounces or some such. Of course, with lighter weight comes higher prices and the JoyPod is right at $450. F-TR rules dictate the total weight if the rifle and that includes the riflescope and the bipod. Using the JoyPod, I can have a 34 inch heavy Palma profile barrel and still make weight. I'd rather have the weight in the barrel rather than the bipod, otherwise I would still be using the Gen 2, which I think is better than the Gen 3. The JoyPod is a different animal. Seb also makes a foldable bipod rest for the JoyPod and I filled mine with heavy sand.

Next, I think you need to look at a proper rear bag. Here is a link to Sinclair where you can see a number of them.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/sh.../rear-bags/index.htm

Shooting from a bench, you want to have a very flat bottom bag. I have a Protektor like this one:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/sh...-bags-prod36318.aspx

And filled it with heavy sand. It worked very well for me when the rifle had a comb like yours. When I built my match rifle, I selected a stock that had a comb that had a very small angle and was more designed to slide on a rear mat, so I got a longer rear bag that was more suited to this rifle and that was another Seb product. I also filled that one with (all together now,) heavy sand. I'm considering another rear bag now, maybe something like the Edgewood Gaterbag.

ETA: Beware the sling stud in your stock.

posted Hide Post
I'm hoping some of the PRS guys will comment on the rear bags they use. These are much smaller and just fit under the conventional stock, supporting the toe of the stock. I have one of those somewhere.