SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Surefire Scout or Modlite for Benelli M4?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surefire Scout or Modlite for Benelli M4? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Just got an Mlok forearm for my Benelli M4 to facilitate mounting a light.

I've got Mlok at about the 9:15/9:30 position and will mount the light there.

Two questions:

1: Which light? For the moment, I intend to just try out a clicky tailcap, because pressure switches are stupid expensive. I'm looking at either the Surefire Scout or the Modlite. This is an HD shotgun, so I don't need a light with serious throw.

2: Which mount? Should I go with an Arisaka mount or, which I'm leaning to, a T-rex light bar. Just because the rail is so far back on the gun and there's a lot of barrel out front, I like the idea of T-rex's lightbar to get the light further toward the muzzle.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your exact question I can't answer, since I have not either of the alternatives you propose. But I have surefire and arisaka and there is simply nothing better. Everything else is compromising.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Your exact question I can't answer, since I have not either of the alternatives you propose. But I have surefire and arisaka and there is simply nothing better. Everything else is compromising.

Which head on the Arisika?

Oat_Action_Man,

beam shots of several lights. Starts at about 2:30.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Modlite is the top performer. Nothings Surefire makes is comparable, in terms of size and output. PLH is the wide spill version for shorter distances. OKW is the long throw version. PLHv2 is the newest one, which is a split between them. Both versions are 6v, just the size of the cell changes (18350 vs 18650).

Arisaka is a cheaper, better Surefire. Use Malkoff heads and build the package for less than $200. The Malkoff heads are available in a few versions, and their newest stuff is a bit more money but outperforms everything but Modlite and Cloud.

The Modlite and Surefire DualFuel use the same head size, Arisaka and standard Surefire Scouts use the E-series standard head (but I believe Arisaka also makes Modlite compatible bodies). I believe the tailcaps are universal from Surefire E-series.

With a tailcap button you might not want the full length of the T-Rex bar. It does push the light more forward and will give you less silhouetting of the gun, but it might be too far forward to properly reach the button with your thumb. It all depends on where your mlok slots are located and where the end of the light will sit.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, all.

The T-rex bar would come once I've secured a pressure switch for whatever light. I'm going to buy in stages, and if I get a short M-lok mount, I can just reuse it on an AR or something once I get a light bar and pressure switch for the Benelli.

The Modlites use the same tailcaps as Surefires, right?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
The Modlites use the same tailcaps as Surefires, right?

https://modlite.com/products/modlite-tailcap

Modlite lists the tailcap as a Surefire E-series.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:

Arisaka is a cheaper, better Surefire. Use Malkoff heads and build the package for less than $200. The Malkoff heads are available in a few versions, and their newest stuff is a bit more money but outperforms everything but Modlite and Cloud.

I have several different Malkoff heads on Surefire and Malkoff hand-helds and have two Surefire X300's, 600/1000 lumen. Prefer the Malkoff heads.

Oat_Action_Man, buy the Modlite PLHv2 and the Arisika 600 with two different Malkoff heads and report back!!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a modlite with a plhv2 head and an arisaka mount.

I cant fault anything about this set up. Its absolutely perfect.

Posts: 173 | Location: boston | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post