SIGforum
Do you stake or use blue Loctite on AR-15 buffer tube?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2990042124

March 18, 2017, 11:02 PM
kimber1911
Do you stake or use blue Loctite on AR-15 buffer tube?
Building my first AR with a Spikes Crusader stripped lower.

Do you prefer to stake or blue Loctite the buffer tube to the lower receiver?

I have read that you torque it to 40 ft lbs.
That seems like a lot.
How tight do you go with the castle nut?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021
March 18, 2017, 11:05 PM
jcat
I haven't staked, nor have I used loctite. I'm probably wrong for not doing one or the other.

Both ARs I've built, I've never had the castle nut come loose. One had a little over 1k rounds through it, this most recent one doesn't have that many, and neither were 'worked' or taken through a carbine class, which I suspect if it was going to happen it'd happen during something like that.

If I had the tools and knowledge, I'd stake it.

March 18, 2017, 11:12 PM
PPGMD
If it is anything but a few rounds every once in a while gun, stake it. IME blue Loctite isn't enough to hold it in place.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.
March 19, 2017, 02:46 AM
MNSIG
Stake.

I ground the end of a cold chisel to produce a nice rectangular Colt-like stake.
March 19, 2017, 05:34 AM
mbinky
I coat with the correct grease, torque and stake as per the TM. I'm not in the habit of swapping buffer tubes but if I ever had to it's easy to remove and castle nuts and end plates are cheap.
March 19, 2017, 05:45 AM
bubbatime
I always stake. And new endplates are $2 if you ever need to remove the buffer tube for some reason. Loctite is an improper install.

March 19, 2017, 07:30 AM
kimber1911
Thanks, I was leaning toward staking.
Just ran across this guide which explains the danger of not staking.

How to stake your castle nut in 3 easy steps.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021
March 19, 2017, 07:34 AM
ARMT Guy
Stake.

Always stake it.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

March 19, 2017, 07:42 AM
RogueJSK
Stake.

I use a cheap spring-loaded center punch from Harbor Freight.
March 19, 2017, 07:54 AM
Chowser
I'm a cheap bastard. I'll use a regular punch to stake. Haven't scratched any rifles yet.

Not minority enough!
March 19, 2017, 07:58 AM
striker1
Grease on the threads of the tube, hand tighten the nut, snug it down *firmly* and stake with a spring loaded center punch. I usually punch about 30x on each stake point or until I feel enough of the metal on the endplate is displaced into the notches in the castle nut.

Mine look like this:

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

March 19, 2017, 08:11 AM
striker1

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

March 19, 2017, 08:43 AM
cas
I loctite'd a few, way back. I don't bother any more. Never stake.

I suppose if I were building rifles for other stupid people whom I didn't want taking the rifle apart, I would. But I'm not, so I don't.

March 19, 2017, 09:00 AM
PPGMD
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I suppose if I were building rifles for other stupid people whom I didn't want taking the rifle apart, I would. But I'm not, so I don't.

It isn't about stupid people taking the rifles apart. Staking is done to prevent the rifle from taking itself apart. It is the same reason that the carrier keys are staked.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.
March 19, 2017, 09:52 AM
hrcjon
I stake because that's in the TM. But there is a threadlocker product (not 242 as was asked and I'm too lazy to look up what's needed for this torque and thread) that would accomplish this just as well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
March 19, 2017, 10:03 AM
Jus228
Stake is the proper way to do it. Just because your particular gun hasn't fallen apart doesn't mean it's right.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak
March 19, 2017, 05:38 PM
jhe888
Stake it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 19, 2017, 07:26 PM
ed308
I've never staked or used Blue Loctite since my first build in the early 90's and never had one come loose. I do stake carrier keys.
March 19, 2017, 07:51 PM
RHINOWSO
Stake, stake, and stake.

It's not hard to do.

quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Stake is the proper way to do it. Just because your particular gun hasn't fallen apart doesn't mean it's right.

Spot on.
March 19, 2017, 07:54 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:

If I had the tools and knowledge, I'd stake it.

https://thearmsguide.com/5135/...nut-in-3-easy-steps/

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-...=spring+loaded+punch

Punch costs $5.49 delivered and it takes all of 5 minutes to do.