SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Number 50
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Number 50 Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
A month or so ago I got curious and counted my guns.
To my surprise, I was damn near at 50.
Since then I bought a couple more which brought me to 49.
The girlfriend decided that she wanted to be in charge of getting #50.
So it's been ordered up and will arrive at the FFL tomorrow.
I'll post pics when I pick it up.

Anyone have guesses on what it'll be?!

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
lol - good guess - but it's nothing in .50 caliber
That was deemed a bit too pricy
(plus I have nowhere around to shoot it)

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
OK so here it is!

The DTA MDR in .308!

Open the box and you're greeted with:

Once I got it assembled:

(note: picture is sideways... but it kinda works)

And once I got done slapping stuff onto it:

Depending on weather... I might take it out to the range today.

The rifle is fairly lightweight by itself.
I think I doubled the weight of it though with the optic/suppressor/magazine.

Only thing I've found on it so far that I dislike...
The gas adjuster (unsuppressed/suppressed) is located under the handguard. You MUST remove the handguard to change the setting.
Sadly that is problematic for me.. the ASR muzzle device is too chubby to allow handguard removal without first removing the muzzle device itself.
I'll be buying the larger suppressor compatible handguard once they're available.. maybe that will fix that issue.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I'd love a range report. I've been eyeing one of these in order to excuse me getting a Handl lower for my Scar 17 so I can be all Magpul mags.

And Happy #50 to you!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
lol not my birthday dude :P
it's my 50th gun - not my 50th year!

but thanks anyway ^_^

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Good luck with your MDR. Mine has been a pill. The most recent issue is the rear pin walks itself out in less than a magazine. I need to quit procrastinating and just send the thing in. Been a frustrating rifle.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
lol not my birthday dude :P
it's my 50th gun - not my 50th year!

but thanks anyway ^_^

Edited to fix. Sorry!

It's my 50th next March and this and the Handl might be my birthday present to me.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
how's that trigger feel ?? reactions have been mixed on it !

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
how's that trigger feel ?? reactions have been mixed on it !

hmm... a bit gritty..
Range time will tell tho

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
OK just got back from the range.
It was miserably hot out even at 7pm.
I was able to get the rifle sighted in.. but not much else.
Every time I went to take a shot... my glasses fogged over Frown

With regards to the rifle itself..

1) Trigger ain't great. I also had my Scar17 (geisselle trigger) and my HK mr556 (stock trigger).
Both of those feel WAY better when firing.

2) I've never fired many bullpups before.. There's a lot of stuff happening RIGHT BENEATH your cheek... and it lets you know lol. I figure this'll simply be something I'll get used to over time.

3) The ejection system is... finicky. The way it works is..
a) bolt pulls spent brass out of chamber and hauls it backwards within the rifle.
b) once the brass is about even with the rounds in the magazine, an arm punches out from the left side of the rifle and shoves the empty brass over to the right side.
c) there's a ramp on the right side with a clasp that holds the empty casing there.
d) as the bolt slides back forward again it does double duty of yanking a new round out of the mag, and also pushing the spent brass forward in the ramp on the right side.
e) the round is pushed forward and eventually slides out a casing sized hole in the side of the rifle.

I had issues with step D. I semi-frequently had the bolt stop partway forward with the spent casing partially ejected.
So I figured.. maybe it needs some oil.
So I oiled the fuck out of it.
Which brings me to...

4) I had a few light primer strikes.
I think it's because I was overzealous on my oiling. The rounds (after being ejected) had a slight ding in the primer.. and a pretty healthy coating of oil.
I put the round in my scar afterwards and it worked fine.
I'm hoping that more use will cause the ejection to loosen up tolerances a little bit and maybe go a bit smoother.
And I'll take the thing apart and oil it more delicately lol.

5) As Andyb stated.. I also had my rear pin walk out a bit.
Mine is nowhere near as bad as stated there... I put about 60-70 rounds through it... had the pin come out about 1/4 inch.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
^I've walked through that fire a bit.

A few things:
Shoot the piss out of it. A few hundred rounds. It's dumb for a rifle this expensive but they legitimately need a break in. Mine was ripping case rims and failing to eject. When I spoke with DT they said not to lubricate or clean it for the first 500 or so rounds, that it was lubed how they wanted it at the factory.

Pull the right side ejection plate for a 100 rounds just to guarantee it'll run.

BRING A CLEANING ROD TO KNOCK OUT CASES. Twice that ended my day.

They kick like a mule.

My trigger has gotten better but it's still a bullpup.

These things are way over gassed, especially suppressed.

Grab the 6 position gas plug if yours doesn't already have it. I don't go past setting 2 even unsuppressed.

Mine quit having failures after a few hundred rounds. The pin however is another story.

If you can't tell I'm a little salty about this gun. I want to love it, it just won't let me.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
what optic do you have on yours andy?

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
what optic do you have on yours andy?

I'm using an Aimpoint T2.

posted Hide Post
That looks great. It kind of reminds me of a Tavor with better ergonomics. Good for you and your girlfriend for making a nice choice.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this semi-old thread.

My ejection issues seem to be slowly getting better.
I'm having to remove the panel on the side slightly less often than I was before.

However - Light primer strikes!
I discovered something with regards to those.
As Andyb stated... rear pin walks out.
I learned that if I stay on top of it... and keep pushing that pin back in fully.... light primer strikes don't happen.

I was having to push that pin back in every 10 rounds or so - shit gets old (especially on a $2500 rifle)
So I emailed DTA and told them what was happening.
Dude knocked it outa the park right away "sounds like the rail on the inside where that pin goes through is damaged".
I opened it up.. sure enough - I straight up had pieces missing from the rail.
They had me send it in.
Had about 1 month turn around time (through xmas/new years so I'm sure that added to the time).

I got it back today... took it to the range and stuffed 2 mags through it... (few ejection issues still)
Zero light primer strikes... but that damn pin still walks out (just not as much as before).
Opened it up once I got home... Don't see any visible damage to the rails like I had before.

Will be emailing back to DTA to see what they say about the stupid pin.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I've been eying this gun for years. Still waiting on the kinks to get worked out.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I've been eying this gun for years. Still waiting on the kinks to get worked out.

I got fed up waiting on it. So I got a X95 tavor instead. Been happy with it.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Damn ... when I saw it, I was wanting to want one, I really like bullpups and take-down rifles!

Bone density is getting better but maybe my buddy that has a machine shop could build me a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel.

Maybe the smoother shooting round could remedy the problems? Of course that's dumping more money into an already expensive rifle, plus the barrel would need to be longer.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
emailed DTA back on 1/5
waited a few days... no reply
Called - went to voicemail - VM box was full
waited a few days
called again - same result
emailed again
waited a few days - no reply
called again - no answer - VM full
called again today... this time I chose the "for general questions" section off the recording and got a person.

asked her to please go throw a shoe or something at the warranty guy because it's been close to 2 weeks now and not a peep from him.

About 2 hours later... got an email back from him finally.

(will post emails in separate reply here to not muddy them up