SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 716 Patrol - How's your accuracy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 716 Patrol - How's your accuracy? Login/Join 
posted
I've got two Sig 716 Patrols and can't seem to find a factory load that one of them likes. I don't handload.

The #1 rifle will do reliable groups right around 2-3 MOA with bulk ammo and right at MOA with FGM and a couple other loads it happens to like. This is what I expect.

The #2 rifle absolutely hates most ammo, running maybe 4-5 MOA with most bulk ammo, barely staying on a paper plate with others, and ~3 MOA at its best, which happens to be with 175gr FGM and oddly enough, 145gr Brown Bear, of all things. Yes, it literally groups about the same with FGM and Brown Bear. I can't get it to group any better than ~3 MOA with any factory load so far, and I've found most bulk ammo like XM80 will shoot ~4 MOA and then throw a flier 2-3" away from the main grouping.

I can paint 1 MOA groups with rifle #1 with effort. I can also swap the optics over from rifle #2 to rifle #1 and continue to do it. So the problem is not in my shooting, or with the optics on rifle #2, all seems good enough there. No indication of keyholing.

Those of you with 716 Patrol rifles - what factory loads are you using and what have you found that your rifle likes? I'm tired of spending money trying to find something it likes...

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to try swapping uppers and lowers around. The factory trigger on my 716 was garbage. As for the best ammo, my rifle likes Hornady 168gr.
BTHP match.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My factory triggers were decent... but I've got MBT's in both rifles now.

Will give the Hornady stuff a shot...

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go forward with buying one box of Hornady Amax or HPBT ammo, then trying it in both rifles. I seriously doubt you will see a significant difference in accuracy versus FGMM.

Something is amiss with rifle #2, and it's not the ammo.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Something is amiss with rifle #2, and it's not the ammo.

I agree.

Both rifles originally had an issue where the bullets were getting scraped during feeding. Enough that there is a visible/felt ridge left on the bullet such that copper would build up on the bolt lugs and eventually cause the bolt to jam up. #2 rifle was much worse, and was also flattening the tips of the bullets to some extent.

I sent both rifles into Sig once and got them back with #1 target showing ~1 MOA and #2 target showing 5 shots at ~3 MOA with one marked as "a flier".

#1 rifle is now solid... #2 no longer flattens the bullet tip but is still scoring the bullet more than I think is ok. I still don't like this but the accuracy problem remains even when I hand feed a single cartridge at a time. So I think it is just a rotten barrel. Which I hate, because all my other Sigs (pistols and rifles) are very accurate. I have a 9mm MPX that can shoot better groups at 100 yards with bulk 115gr than this #2 716 can shoot with FGM. Pretty messed up.

But Sig said there is no accuracy spec on the 716 patrol and the rifle is therefore in spec. I'm set to send it in again due to the bullet scoring still being there... but wanted to try a few more loads to build my argument up.

If I have no luck then #2 rifle will probably get a binary trigger or slidefire put on it and become a fun gun. Don't know what else to do with it. No aftermarket barrels out there, and Sig wants $400 for a replacement barrel that may or may not be any different.

posted Hide Post
What's special about a Sig 716 on barrels? I thought it was a DPMS pattern gun. So I'd be interested to learn. I own one as a SIG addict but pretty much don't use it.
There are cheap sig barrels around if you want to change it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
I also think there is something not right with your second rifle.

I may have gotten lucky on the accuracy front with mine. My gen 1 likes FGMM pretty well and I can consistently get 1 MOA at 100 yards. With LC M118 175gr I can do a little bit better on most days. The rifle does not like lighter bullets and the groups open up to 2 or more MOA.

I am running a Geissele SSA-E trigger.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree but so far my options are limited.

The surplus barrels out there for $99 are for DMR uppers which Sig has told me won't work with a Patrol upper.

I've love to just buy a barrel for a couple hundred.

posted Hide Post
Doesn't specify DMR barrel, but says it fits 716. Looks like the factory Patrol barrel.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig...me-lined-barrel.html

FG42 Type G, Ruger GSR, P250 Compact 9mm w/45ACP Compact conversion, H&K VP9 & other cool stuff.

100% disabled veteran

Posts: 696 | Location: central NC | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be all over it but direct feedback from Sig is that it will only work with DMR uppers.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TSgt_Matt:
Doesn't specify DMR barrel, but says it fits 716. Looks like the factory Patrol barrel.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig...me-lined-barrel.html

If I remember correctly, the only 18" barreled 716's are the DMR's

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2nd rifle is back "function tested as ok" with no target. I will likely be parting ways with it, possibly both of them because I like having two of the same and don't want four .308's in the safe.

Any recommendations out there for .308's that can reliably deliver ~1.5 MOA or better for under $2k?

The new Savage offerings are tempting, as are recent prices on Ruger SR762's... but I am leaning towards a build or at least SR25 pattern so I can be positive about the barrel or have industry standard upgrade options...