SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Finished my .224 build
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finished my .224 build Login/Join 
Picture of onpointgun
posted
I finished my .224 Valkyrie build tonight I will be heading to the range tomorrow for breaking in the barrel and hopefully I will have time to see how it groups.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: onpointgun,

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Good Luck ! Finish my about 2 months ago and trying to find rounds that group anything. Has been expensive and a pain in the a$$ !!

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
What twist on the barrel? Keep us updated on your ammo testing. 224 seems like a fun caliber when they get it worked out.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I also see you are using the weaver lightweight msr mount. I’m using them and really like the them so far.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I was able to zero it today but unfortunately I couldn't find any gold medal match ammo. I was only shooting the American Eagle 75 grain. This group was a typical 5 round group at this point I am very pleased with what I am seeing.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
What twist on the barrel? Keep us updated on your ammo testing. 224 seems like a fun caliber when they get it worked out.

It's a 22 inch 1/7 twist.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
....trying to find rounds that group anything. Has been expensive and a pain in the a$$ !!

quote:
224 seems like a fun caliber when they get it worked out.

I'm currently at the Team Safari match at the Blue Steel Ranch -- owned by John Paul of JP Enterprises. Sat next to JP last night at dinner, got to pick his brain about a lot of things. Valkyrie & Nosler AR-15, AR-10s in general, 22lr rifle systems, 9mm ARs, and competitions.

JP stated he was a big part of the 224 Valkyrie development, stating that he did not recommend that the ammo manufacturers use the really heavy bullets. Like 85+ grain. JP stated that when he shoots his own Valkyrie rifle, he buys American Eagle FMJ ammo, pulls the bullet, and stuffs a 77 SMK in the case. Evidently this combo shoots really, really well.

JP stated the 22 Nosler round with a 77 grain HPBT flat out kicks butt. Crazy accuracy, reasonable BC, super fast MV. Based on a conversation that bounced across the dinner table, I suspect Valkyrie factory ammo won't really perform until Federal/Hornady/whomever loads proven 73-77 grain match bullets.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
....trying to find rounds that group anything. Has been expensive and a pain in the a$$ !!

quote:
224 seems like a fun caliber when they get it worked out.

I'm currently at the Team Safari match at the Blue Steel Ranch -- owned by John Paul of JP Enterprises. Sat next to JP last night at dinner, got to pick his brain about a lot of things. Valkyrie & Nosler AR-15, AR-10s in general, 22lr rifle systems, 9mm ARs, and competitions.

JP stated he was a big part of the 224 Valkyrie development, stating that he did not recommend that the ammo manufacturers use the really heavy bullets. Like 85+ grain. JP stated that when he shoots his own Valkyrie rifle, he buys American Eagle FMJ ammo, pulls the bullet, and stuffs a 77 SMK in the case. Evidently this combo shoots really, really well.

JP stated the 22 Nosler round with a 77 grain HPBT flat out kicks butt. Crazy accuracy, reasonable BC, super fast MV. Based on a conversation that bounced across the dinner table, I suspect Valkyrie factory ammo won't really perform until Federal/Hornady/whomever loads proven 73-77 grain match bullets.

When I ordered my last JP Rifle thats what the guy told me on the phone. He said by doing so he was getting match grade ammo at a fraction of the price.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
When I ordered my last JP Rifle thats what the guy told me on the phone. He said by doing so he was getting match grade ammo at a fraction of the price.

I don't think we're on the same page. JP buys AE 75 grain ammo only for the primed case -- he throws away the bullet and the powder. JP then reloads the case with the powder he wants and stuffs the case with a new 77 grain HPBT bullet -- either Sierra or Nosler. I don't keep up with prices for ammo components, but I suspect that puts his Valkyrie ammo somewhat close to the price of Federal GMM 69 and/or 77. Well, unless AE 75 is on a pretty good sale.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't think we're on the same page. JP buys AE 75 grain ammo only for the primed case -- he throws away the bullet and the powder. JP then reloads the case with the powder he wants and stuffs the case with a new 77 grain HPBT bullet -- either Sierra or Nosler. I don't keep up with prices for ammo components, but I suspect that puts his Valkyrie ammo somewhat close to the price of Federal GMM 69 and/or 77. Well, unless AE 75 is on a pretty good sale.

When you purchase the American Eagle ammo in bulk you can get it for around $10/box and the Sierra Matchking bullets in bulk around .24/each that makes for some pretty cheap match ammo in my book. I was told he used the powder charge that came in the AE.

posted Hide Post
quote:
When you purchase the American Eagle ammo in bulk you can get it for around $10/box and the Sierra Matchking bullets in bulk around .24/each that makes for some pretty cheap match ammo in my book. I was told he used the powder charge that came in the AE.

John Paul stated he will practice with the AE powder, but won't compete with it.

So best case scenario, $.50 for the primed case, $.24 for the bullet = $.74. When he uses another powder, it may be another $.05 or $.10 -- I don't know, since I don't reload. So...definitely cheaper than buying Valkyrie 90 grain Federal match ammo, but in the same ballpark as 223 match ammo.

My primary 223 match ammo is Hornady 73 ELD-M. I buy at $.80 per round.
Secondary is Hornady 75 HPBT Black. I buy at $.60 per round.
My third choice is Federal GMM 69 at $.70 per round.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Hornady loads a .224 BTHP 75 gr. I’d give them a go to see what it will do.

TCB all the time...

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hornady loads a .224 BTHP 75 gr. I’d give them a go to see what it will do.

I can't find any in stock anywhere.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Hornady loads a .224 BTHP 75 gr.

Seriously??? Google "hornady 223 bullets" -- you'll get more results for loaded ammo than raw bullets, but bullets are still there.

The first page returned from my search had 3 distributors with Hornady 75 BTHP bullets in stock, the second page had 2 more.

This ain't rocket science.

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Hornady loads a .224 BTHP 75 gr.

Seriously??? Google "hornady 223 bullets" -- you'll get more results for loaded ammo than raw bullets, but bullets are still there.

The first page returned from my search had 3 distributors with Hornady 75 BTHP bullets in stock, the second page had 2 more.

This ain't rocket science.

I am looking for this round loaded up I don't reload.

Hornady Black .224 75 gr BTHP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: onpointgun,

posted Hide Post
It appears Hornady just announced the 75 grain load for Valkyrie. It took weeks from Hornady's announcement of its 88 ELD Valkyrie load to market availability. A call to Hornady may give you an idea on the wait for this new Black load.