SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lever action 357's, Marlin or Henry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever action 357's, Marlin or Henry Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have an All Weather 357 Henry. ~200 rounds so far. Half 38's, half 357. All cycle every time.

Posts: 266 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I studied The Henry with Brass Receiver, The Chiappa Alaskan takedown, and All Weather Henry for about 3 months before going with the All Weather. I liked the octagonal barrel for the Henry brass receiver but it’s 12% heavier that the Henry steel or All Weather.
The Chiappa had two drawbacks, if service was needed I wasn’t sure who did that and it was about $500 more than the All Weather.
I put a Skinner Peep sight on mine. No regrets

Posts: 266 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The sharp edges on the loading gate and port on my Marlin chew my fingers so badly that I am about ready to quit after a few reloads.

That Henry tube-load design is calling me.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Save up your allowance and buy a JM Marlin. You will be glad you did.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Interested in this also. One thing I've heard about some Henrys is that once the lever gets nudged open a bit, you can't simply close it; you have to complete the cycle and eject that round and chamber another. Is that true? Also, some possible (Internet folklore?) about the lever dropping open on its own more than occasionally? I REALLY want to trust the Henry QC, as the Brass Big Boy 357 looks gorgeous to me.

I've also read that the Remlin QC issue was a really big dip in the road that's smoothed out considerably since then, and is now a thing of the past. Can anyone speak to this?

I'll try and remember to check mine tonight for the cycling thing. My rifle is fairly low mileage but the lever locks up tightly every time.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Interested in this also. One thing I've heard about some Henrys is that once the lever gets nudged open a bit, you can't simply close it; you have to complete the cycle and eject that round and chamber another. Is that true?

I cycled my Henry with some 38 special dummy rounds. As long as you don't open the action far enough to engage the ejector you can close the action with no issues. Be advised that ejection is entirely velocity driven in a Henry lever action. If you baby the lever the round just drops down into the action and sits on top of the round waiting to be loaded.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not anti Henry so much as I'm pro Marlin. Where available I'd take the Marlin, the loading gate is not a bad thing. I'm inclined to think the most recent Marlins are mechanically sound.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
My first and only lever gun is a Henry. It's a 45-70, color case hardened with octogonal barrel. It is absolutely beautiful and I love it.

Never having owned something with a loading gate I can't compare them. But I have been looking hard at a Winchester 1873 in 357. Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post