SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lever action 357's, Marlin or Henry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever action 357's, Marlin or Henry Login/Join 
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted
Looking to diversify a bit. I already have a Marlin 336, JM marked for the true lever guys, also since I'm in CT and they were build down the road. So I am partial to them.

I really want a 1894 in 357 magnum. All the older pre takeover marlins are $$$. And really limited to Auction sites. Other option is a NEW Henry, Steel version, either 16.5 or 20", seem to have decent reviews.

So does anybody have either or both ?

A 9mm in MY Hand is better than a 45 at home.
SIG P-239 357.. The Modern Martial Arts
Pair of 226 Navy's

Too many" LOW INFORMATION VOTERS "
si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin, and love it. Mine is a pre-Remington. I looked a while to find it, and it was a little more than I wanted to pay, but I still love it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely go marlin. I love mine.

Opinionatedly: I honestly don't find center-fire lever-guns without loading gates to be as useful. the tube-load of the Henry ruins it for me. It's fine in a good, old .22LR rifle, but not for lower-capacity centerfire chamberings. but that's me. Big Grin

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like my 1894. It's a fantastic little rifle. I wouldn't count out the newer ones...I have a post-Remington 1895 in .45-70, and it's a decent rifle. As long as you can handle and inspect it first to make sure it's up to your standards, and you can live with the safety, I wouldn't shy away from buying a new one.

Here's a recent 50yd group from my remington-manufactured 1895. Not too shabby I didn't think, provided you ignore that little guy in the upper right (my fault) Wink.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I like my 1894. It's a fantastic little rifle. I wouldn't count out the newer ones...I have a post-Remington 1895 in .45-70, and it's a decent rifle. As long as you can handle and inspect it first to make sure it's up to your standards, and you can live with the safety, I wouldn't shy away from buying a new one.

Inspection would be tough through the internet. Marlin is due to release the 38/357 versions late spring or this summer ( And we known manufacturers are always on time Roll Eyes )

I know the loading gate is a BIG main difference.

Pair of 226 Navy's

si vis pacem para bellvm

Posts: 2172 | Location: UN Constitution State  | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I have a Henry Big Boy in .357/38 an am very happy with it. It is a great looking, well made rifle. The loading gate vs. tube-fed is a non-issue as far as I am concerned.

Something to be aware of, in case you are not, is that some dual caliber rifles have a problem with feeding one caliber over the other, i.e. feeds the 357 fine but jams feeding a 38. My Henry handles both without a problem. Henry even tells you in their instruction pamphlet that this could be a problem and even suggests what OAL your cartridges should be for best operation.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I'd definitely go marlin. I love mine.

Opinionatedly: I honestly don't find center-fire lever-guns without loading gates to be as useful. the tube-load of the Henry ruins it for me. It's fine in a good, old .22LR rifle, but not for lower-capacity centerfire chamberings. but that's me. Big Grin

I'm with Porter on this one - I prefer the loading gate to dropping rounds into the tube. I have a Henry Big Boy in .44Mag and just don't really care for the loading. I'm seriously thinking about selling it and picking up a Marlin or Winchester in .45 Colt to go with my Ruger Vaquero. The Henry is a fine rifle, I just don't like the loading method.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a Henry in steel and it's an excellent rifle. Fit and finish is top notch and mine feeds 38 wadcutters without issues.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I have a Henry in steel and it's an excellent rifle. Fit and finish is top notch and mine feeds 38 wadcutters without issues.

Carbine length, or 20" ? Id have a bunch extra cash for ammo if I go henry.

Pair of 226 Navy's

si vis pacem para bellvm

Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
As far as the loading gate vs tube debate, I'm actually a fan of the tube. I detest loading gates. Other than the traditional one round at a time top off, I usually curse getting my finger/thumb tip/glove tip caught in it every time! With the tube, you can load all at once, top off what you shoot and unload simply by dumping the tube and ejecting the one round in your chamber. The Henry's are excellent rifles - I'm biased, but I own many and highly recommend them. My latest is an all weather .45-70 and it's outstanding!

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Marlin, Uberti (1866 or 1873), or Winchester (now made by Miroku).

I don't like the Centerfire Henry rifles because they aren't a reproduction of anything historic.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have two Marlin 1894's. One in .45 Colt JM stamped and one in .357/38 made by Remlin. Night and day difference in the action of the two rifles. The JM stamped one is butter smooth and the Remlin has always been rough. It can be difficult to work the action with .357's, but much smoother with .38's. Maybe they have improved since I bought mine new back in 2012, but I’d pay the extra money for a JM stamped one if I was to do it over.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Pre-Remington Marlin all day long, and twice on Sunday. If it is a post safety (after 1983) and you don’t like the thought of a single action rifle having one, you can buy a replacement safety delete kit that looks clean. Until Remarlington clears up its QC issues for good, I’d wait on one of them.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Carbine length, or 20" ? Id have a bunch extra cash for ammo if I go henry.

I have the 20" steel boy. I went with steel because it was lighter and there were no issues with mounting a rail.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marlin, without question. Especially if you plan on using it much.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

I'm always trying to learn and keep an open mind, so could you expand on this please? I get the difference in features and for those that need a "historical copy" of a lever gun, then the Marlin maybe. Based upon using either much, I'd like to know where the Henry falls short on lots of usage?

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
quote:

I'm always trying to learn and keep an open mind, so could you expand on this please? I get the difference in features and for those that need a "historical copy" of a lever gun, then the Marlin maybe. Based upon using either much, I'd like to know where the Henry falls short on lots of usage?

Ya, me too!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Read the CONSTITUTION
Picture of Mountain Man
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mind explaining ? I usually shoot what I buy.

Pair of 226 Navy's

si vis pacem para bellvm

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have a Marlin, and love it. Mine is a pre-Remington. I looked a while to find it, and it was a little more than I wanted to pay, but I still love it.

My experience exactly. I don't know anything about Henry rifles, but I love Marlins.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interested in this also. One thing I've heard about some Henrys is that once the lever gets nudged open a bit, you can't simply close it; you have to complete the cycle and eject that round and chamber another. Is that true? Also, some possible (Internet folklore?) about the lever dropping open on its own more than occasionally? I REALLY want to trust the Henry QC, as the Brass Big Boy 357 looks gorgeous to me.

I've also read that the Remlin QC issue was a really big dip in the road that's smoothed out considerably since then, and is now a thing of the past. Can anyone speak to this?

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post