SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    PRS Gas Gun AR-15 build.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRS Gas Gun AR-15 build. Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted
I was exploring every option from 6.5 Grendel, 6mm Grendel and 22 Grendel, to 224 Valkyrie.

Everything but 223 or 308 would put me in open division, and I didn't want to go large frame, so I wound up settling back on plain Jane 223.

Wound up going with a JP carrier and adjustable gas block for the recoil characteristic of my 3-gun rifle, where I can watch my bullets hit steel.

Larue Stealth 20" barrel.

Cross Machine and Tool muzzle brake.

Warne 20 MOA X-Skel mount because my other Warne mount is ROCK solid and the price is great.

Viper PST Gen II 3-15x scope with MRAD turrets and the EBR-2C MRAD reticle.

I shot a .636 center to center 5 round group yesterday with factory Federal varmint ammo from a sandbag while leaning on a wire spool.

Looking forward to loading up some 73gr ELDs to see what it likes. Cool

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very nice

Looks like I lost a bet. I was going for your chambering in .50 Beowulf -- due to its flat trajectory, low recoil, and large holes it makes in paper targets. But no, you stuck with a poodle-shooter caliber.

Assuming you hand load, have you considered the 75 ELD? Very little increase in bullet weight over the 73, but a dramatic increase in BC.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
very nice

Looks like I lost a bet. I was going for your chambering in .50 Beowulf -- due to its flat trajectory, low recoil, and large holes it makes in paper targets. But no, you stuck with a poodle-shooter caliber.

Assuming you hand load, have you considered the 75 ELD? Very little increase in bullet weight over the 73, but a dramatic increase in BC.

I have considered it but I didn't think it would feed from a magazine.

I seem to recall reading something about guys who were cutting the front of magazines to facilitate feeding the 75s from a mag. Anything to that?

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I was going for your chambering in .50 Beowulf -- due to its flat trajectory, low recoil, and large holes it makes in paper targets. But no, you stuck with a poodle-shooter caliber.

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Nice build. Good luck shooting PRS matches with it.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Nice build. Good luck shooting PRS matches with it.

I'm quite certain that I have a bunch to learn and expect to be humbled at my first match.

I'm excited about giving it a go though.