SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Things I wish I knew before taking my first carbine rifle training class
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things I wish I knew before taking my first carbine rifle training class Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.:
I have trained with the following:
EAG Tactical-10+ courses
Viking Tactics/Kyle Lamb-10+ courses
Vickers Tactical/Larry Vickers-2 courses
TMACS/Pat McNamara-2 courses
CSAT/Paul Howe-1 course
Sheriff of Baghdad/John McPhee-1 course
-in addition to agency training. The only time I have ever been instructed to download a magazine is to force a reload or ensure an empty carbine when working on transition. These are not classes that encourage magazine dumps, but rather ones that want to impress upon you the importance of keeping your rifle topped off and ready to go. I load up a bunch of magazines because 1)I have them and 2)I can do this ahead of time to prepare and be able to confront any other issue that raises its head during a break and still make it back to the line in plenty of time to get as many reps as possible. If you are being asked to download a magazine during a carbine course, ask yourself what are they trying to force you to do during the drill? If it's not a reload, and they just don't want you to have a full magazine "because", your instructors have a very low opinion of their students.

Damn, That's is one hell of a training log. Who did you like better Howe, Lamb or PAT MAC? I really liked Pat Rogers and his guys, but it looks like EAG is off line after Pat's death and I'm looking for my next class.

I have enjoyed all three, but Kyle comes within an hour and a half of my house twice a year. The other two are great instructors, but I don't think Paul leaves Nacogdoches to teach anymore and Pat Mac is usually in South Florida. It's far easier for me to make training a day trip than it is to decamp to Ft. Lauderdale or Naples for three days.

As for EAG, expect for it to emerge in a modified form at some point. I'm going to the 2nd Celebration of Life for Pat in Ohio in August and there may be some sort of announcement of what comes next.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Thread drift, for all you experienced members, have you seen any Mini-14s (especially the updated model) at your classes? If so, how have they done? I'm thinking of taking one this summer and I am more a traditional person.

The very first carbine class I did was with my old Mini 14. Other than the tac reloads and lack of optics and with the sub-par stock sights I was able to keep up with everyone else. I do recommend you try to find a decent 2-point sling that fits over the rear buttstock and a side swivel for the mini if you plan on using one in a class. It makes handling the gun--and more importantly--resting the gun (tranisitioning to pistol, etc) much easier than using the existing sling loops. IIRC, the one I got for my mini was made by Spectre.

One of the guys I shoot with semi-regularly still takes classes with his mini-14. He did upgrade recently to a newer model and his hits seem to be better than with the old gun.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.:

Damn, That's is one hell of a training log. Who did you like better Howe, Lamb or PAT MAC? I really liked Pat Rogers and his guys, but it looks like EAG is off line after Pat's death and I'm looking for my next class.

quote:
I have enjoyed all three, but Kyle comes within an hour and a half of my house twice a year. The other two are great instructors, but I don't think Paul leaves Nacogdoches to teach anymore and Pat Mac is usually in South Florida. It's far easier for me to make training a day trip than it is to decamp to Ft. Lauderdale or Naples for three days.

As for EAG, expect for it to emerge in a modified form at some point. I'm going to the 2nd Celebration of Life for Pat in Ohio in August and there may be some sort of announcement of what comes next.

Thanks for that intel dump K.O.A.M. I hope you are right. I was in the EAG class in Augusta (2010) that Pat could not attend and Bad Karma ran a good class.

Enjoy the celebration. I'll get there one of these years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This stuff sounds fun. I want to go to a class now. How is shooting an SBR at these classes? I am asking in relations to SBRs being loud.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Lula loader. They're very inexpensive, and will save a lot of time loading mags as well as saving your thumbs. You can also use them to quickly download or empty a mag too.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fallenangelhim:
How is shooting an SBR at these classes? I am asking in relations to SBRs being loud.

An unsuppressed SBR in a carbine class won't make you the popular guy. More like the outcast, and you'll be asked to shoot at the far end of the line when students are shooting side-by-side.

The last few carbine classes I attended mandated were suppressor-only, with the course holder having a few loaner suppressors. In such courses, the SBRs were slightly louder than the carbines, but no big deal.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post