SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Now CZ doesn't love us either (Bren 2)...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now CZ doesn't love us either (Bren 2)... Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Continuing in the same theme as my thread that HK doesn't love us as they aren't planning on selling the VP9 with the button mag release in the USA ( https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3310034124 ), I thought I would contact CZ to see if they are planning on selling the new Bren 2 to the general public. CZ's CS contacted me today and confirmed that it is only going to be sold to military and LEO departments. They also have no plans at this point for a semi-auto version too. At least the Bren S1 is available but the Bren 2 really seems to be a nice refinement of the platform. Link: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...dular-assault-rifle/ C'est la vie.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
It has been reported in other places that they are in fact planning to sell to the public at some point so who knows really...just wait and see.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
It has been reported in other places that they are in fact planning to sell to the public at some point so who knows really...just wait and see.

Well, CZ Customer service is saying otherwise:

"The new Bren 2 is unfortunately only available to LE Departments of Military Units. It is only available in a select fire variant, and there is no civilian semi-auto version available."

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
It's Bush's fault.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
It's Bush's fault.

It finally works!

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
That looks neat! Wonder if I can convince my chief to sign off on one...

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a few more bren 1 hit the market, I've only seen 1 bren 705 carbine despite the fact there are several gun shops in my area that specialize in keeping military style weapons in stock. I've seen a few of the pistols but unless you SBR them they're nothing but cumbersome range toys.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:

"The new Bren 2 is unfortunately only available to LE Departments of Military Units. It is only available in a select fire variant, and there is no civilian semi-auto version available."

That's probably currently true. However, I don't think that means they would never make a civilian semi version in the future.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I'd like to see a few more bren 1 hit the market, I've only seen 1 bren 705 carbine despite the fact there are several gun shops in my area that specialize in keeping military style weapons in stock. I've seen a few of the pistols but unless you SBR them they're nothing but cumbersome range toys.

You will want to buy one if you feel how smooth the action is or get to dry fire it. They are so heavy for a 5.56 carbine though...

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:

That's probably currently true. However, I don't think that means they would never make a civilian semi version in the future.

I hope. I would sell both my NIB SIG 556s if they did (still might for an AUG 3 with extra cash from as well based upon price differentials).

Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's a killer rifle, but I just can't get over how hideous it is. What's up with that god-awful waffle pattern everywhere?

Minor issue, I know, but I'm not really hurting in the 5.56 department so I am getting picky with my money.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

You will want to buy one if you feel how smooth the action is or get to dry fire it. They are so heavy for a 5.56 carbine though...

I would have bought the one I saw but didn't have 1800 so I had to pass on it :-(

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
I'm sure it's a killer rifle, but I just can't get over how hideous it is. What's up with that god-awful waffle pattern everywhere?

Minor issue, I know, but I'm not really hurting in the 5.56 department so I am getting picky with my money.

Aesthetics aren't a primary consideration with my firearms, however I agree that both the waffles and that thing called a buttstock do nothing for me.

Many of us have our fair share of AR-15s and their variants -- both DI and piston models. IMO the CZ Bren is just another 5.56 carbine. Another variation of a style of rifle that's been slinging lead from a particular cartridge for some 50 years now. Nothing earth shattering, nothing ground breaking, and certainly nothing "game changing".....

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

Aesthetics aren't a primary consideration with my firearms, however I agree that both the waffles and that thing called a buttstock do nothing for me.

Many of us have our fair share of AR-15s and their variants -- both DI and piston models. IMO the CZ Bren is just another 5.56 carbine. Another variation of a style of rifle that's been slinging lead from a particular cartridge for some 50 years now. Nothing earth shattering, nothing ground breaking, and certainly nothing "game changing".....

I tend to agree. I've got an AUG A3, a DI SPR, a DI SBR, a piston SBR, and two 6920s at this point... a rifle would have to be pretty revolutionary for me to branch out from that department. More mags and ammo for me!

Of course, far be it from me to tell someone else how to spend their cash. If you like the Bren, go for it - it's just not where I'm going to park my car.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

I don't think CZ meant the rifle to be a game changer or anything. They made it simply to compete for a contract for a more modern weapon for the Czech military. The fact that CZ decided to go through the trouble of making a semi version for civilians, as well as jumping through the hoops needed to get around the US import regs, is just a side bonus.

By the standard of slinging 5.56 rounds down range not much different than an AR, one could make the same comment about the SCAR, MCX, Sig 55x, etc. They all pretty much do the same job, just like a Chevy will get you around town just as well as a BMW. Just another choice for those who want it.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I'm betting that their production is allocated to government contracts. Meanwhile their Bren 1 tooling was sitting around so they made semi autos with it.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post