SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Optic suggestions for an 870 SBS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optic suggestions for an 870 SBS Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
My latest project is turning an 870 Police into a SBS with a 14” barrel. I’m having the receiver drilled and taped for a rail. Two things I can’t decide on are whose iron sights to use and whether to go with a Trijicon RMR or larger red dot like a T1, etc. Has anybody done something similar? What and why? This is going to be used solely for fun and HD. Thanks gentlemen!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I had an 870 before with scattergun ghost ring sights and liked them a lot for what they were (black rear, tritium front). I have a similar set up now on my sbs benelli m1. Only time I used an optic on a shotgun was my friends m4. He has a t1 on it. Its nice, but not sure its something I'd jump for on a shotgun over basic ghost ring sights.

Like yours, my m1 pulls fun duty, because I can own duty, and occasionally gets thrown in the truck for up at camp. So I wanted something simple for sights.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dry-fly have you looked into This offering from Remington? I have no use for the birds head grip, but this is on my radar. Seeing these around for $599 or so. Holds 5 rounds now from the factory. Pretty damn neat if you ask me and no NFA hoops to jump thru.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1110 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I run an RMR on a Scalarworks mount on my Vinci and would put another on my M1S90 if the mount would fit. It's the lowest profile setup I could find and have been very happy with it.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought a 18" barrel with XS Big Dot sights, basically pistol sights.

https://www.aiptactical.com/parts-barrel-sales.html

Purpose of this 870, loaded with rubber slugs for the occasional black bear around our house. Sights are very quick to acquire and accurate enough.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Nice examples and suggestions fellas, I appreciate it.

Sig226fan - funny you mention that gun, I held one at a LGS yesterday. I thought is was a SBS until I noticed the brace. That would be a good way to go, but I happen to be a CLassIII FFL and bought this 870 Police specifically for this purpose.

Warpig, that mount is the tits! Thanks for turning me on to it.

Thanks again!

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
T1 or T2.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would do an H1 or T1 and just skip the irons, put that $ towards some other accessory. A. the Aimpoint ain't gonna fail and B. if it does, it is a shotgun at HD range anyway so you shouldn't skip a beat.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sounds good!

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Burris SpeedBead mount works well, too

Posts: 3074 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PennSig
posted Hide Post
I second Strambo's thoughts.

George Washington did what was right. Now it is our time to do the same. Restore the Republic!

Posts: 806 | Registered: October 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an RMR on my 14” Benelli M4. It’s worked out very well.

Go with the RMR over the Aimpoint. The RMR has dots available as large as 13 MOA. Aimpoint is limited to 2 MOA. The RMR is a better match for a shotgun.

I have a 14” 870 that I’ve been thinking of setting up for a red dot. The Vang Comp sights appeal to me as the rail includes a rear sight.

It’s pricey though.......

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highlander81:
I’ve got an RMR on my 14” Benelli M4. It’s worked out very well.

Go with the RMR over the Aimpoint. The RMR has dots available as large as 13 MOA. Aimpoint is limited to 2 MOA. The RMR is a better match for a shotgun.

I have a 14” 870 that I’ve been thinking of setting up for a red dot. The Vang Comp sights appeal to me as the rail includes a rear sight.

It’s pricey though.......

You're right there..$200!

posted Hide Post
I suppose I must dissent. I have T1s on my Benelli M4s and love them. Fast, and rock solid. While I’ve never broken an RMR, I’ve never really tried. I perceive the T1 to be more durable.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I think a Trijicon RMR will be it, this photo is a carbon copy of what’s to be (except that it’s not a Mossberg!)

Picture of highlander81
posted Hide Post
That’s a good set up. If you have a bead sight on your 870 barrel, it would be worth looking for a rail with a groove down the center, allowing you to see the bead if the RMR isn’t on the shotgun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Southern Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post