SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scalarworks scope mount - Best design ever?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scalarworks scope mount - Best design ever? Login/Join 
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted
I have and use scope mounts from ADM, LaRue, Bobro, Leupold, Geissele & Spuhr.

Recently, I decided to try Scalarworks for the first time. Now Scalarworks is not cheap, they run around $400 and that puts them in the "ultra-premium" category, like Spuhr.

I am a bit OCD about leveling scopes and getting them mounted properly. I have used the Arisaka leveling wedges, I have used a plumb-line, magnetic leveling bubbles, etc.

I thought the Spuhr mount was ingenious because they machine in a slot for a leveling wedge. The Spuhr I have is QD, with side levers. It is strong but heavy, and it has threaded mount points for additional accessories I can hang on the mount but I doubt I will ever use.

The Scalarworks is amazingly light, but it is strong as it is made from 7075 alloy. The machining is superb, the design is exceptional!

The mount is QD, but unlike all the others, there are no levers or nuts protruding off the side to snag on slings or gear.

Best of all, the built in leveling screw insures the scope will mount dead-nuts level with almost no effort! The hinged rings make it super easy, just four strong screws at the bottom and you are good to go.

Also, the screws come pre-treated with Nylok thread-locker, so you don't even have to prep the screws and use purple loc-tite like all the others.

In short, I think the Scalarworks will be the mount I use going forward. I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.

Here are some pics from the web, I didn't feel like posting crappy cell cam pics - my mount is the same as this:

I highly recommend you give them a try. Their red-dot mounts are great too. Here is their website:

https://scalarworks.com/

Cheers,

i8mtm

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
399 for a scope mount? Pass.....

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I spend my money on guns, gun accessories, ammo, and beer.

The rest I just waste......

Razz

Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I want the 1.93 when it comes out.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:

If you have to ask the price, you're not the target audience.

$400 is nothing when your rifle and scope are $3000-4000...each.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
That looks like a machinist/engineer/gun nut's wet dream.
Cost prohibitive for me, but glad you are so happy with it.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I wonder how tough it is at the hinges. Aero lightweight mounts are rumored to be a tad weak at the top. They use an open hinge design that has some thinner areas.

Aero would do well to offer a leveling screw in their spr mount. Their design rotates the scope when tightening. It doesn’t have a flat area underneath to shim the scope.

I want to try one. Had Aaron Cowan threw on off his balcony yet?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I havent used the scope mounts yet but Ive slowly been switching all my other optic mounts to Scalarworks. Good stuff.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Man, those mounts look like works of art.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I wonder how tough it is at the hinges. Aero lightweight mounts are rumored to be a tad weak at the top. They use an open hinge design that has some thinner areas.
I considered a Scalarworks for my NX8 but that was my concern as well, so I went Geissele and saved $200 to boot.

Yeah, leveling can be a PITA but it's something that you only do once or twice to tweak it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
quote:

That this isn't targeted at the PSA / Strike Eagle Crowd... Wink

From the Manufacturers website.

Every Leap Mount is CNC milled from 7075-T6 billet, which has vastly superior mechanical properties to 6061-T6, and is used where ultimate strength and durability outweigh cost considerations.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by smithnsig:
so I went Geissele and saved $200 to boot.

But you lost 10% sex appeal.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the introduction to another expensive accessory. Roll Eyes

Wink

Based on my long-ago experience with the old Weaver mounts that pivoted on one side and screwed only on the other, I wonder if there is any tendency for the scope to rotate as the ring is tightened. I realize the leveling screw is intended to prevent that, but are there strong opposing forces that might damage something?

I like Spuhr mounts that are in the same price range, but things are always being improved. The one obvious minor convenience of the Scalarworks mount is that there are only two screws per ring rather than Spuhr’s six each which are hardly necessary with most rifles and cartridges. The lighter weight could also be nice with some applications. On the other hand, I do like the Spuhr bubble level and the capability of attaching extra stuff to their mounts when desired (I have a Docter sight on one of mine).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Thanks for the introduction to another expensive accessory. Roll Eyes

Wink

Based on my long-ago experience with the old Weaver mounts that pivoted on one side and screwed only on the other, I wonder if there is any tendency for the scope to rotate as the ring is tightened. I realize the leveling screw is intended to prevent that, but are there strong opposing forces that might damage something?

I like Spuhr mounts that are in the same price range, but things are always being improved. The one obvious minor convenience of the Scalarworks mount is that there are only two screws per ring rather than Spuhr’s six each which are hardly necessary with most rifles and cartridges. The lighter weight could also be nice with some applications. On the other hand, I do like the Spuhr bubble level and the capability of attaching extra stuff to their mounts when desired (I have a Docter sight on one of mine).

I agree on the weight. About the only reason I would take this over the Spuhr is for weight saving. I have an AR10 build in the works where weight is factor. Doesn't hurt that the Scalalrworks lines will match the lower/upper. I also like that this is QD. Not something I typically need or want on my bolt guns but its a nice feature on my AR style guns.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I considered a Scalarworks for my NX8 but that was my concern as well, so I went Geissele and saved $200 to boot.

Yeah, leveling can be a PITA but it's something that you only do once or twice to tweak it.

The Aero mount is considerably weaker on top, to my eye, than that Scalarworks mount.

The Aero isn't exactly hinged, there is a tear drop shaped flange that fits in the opposing side. The opposing side that receives that flange only has to spread for the mount to break.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
quote:

That this isn't targeted at the PSA / Strike Eagle Crowd... Wink

From the Manufacturers website.

Every Leap Mount is CNC milled from 7075-T6 billet, which has vastly superior mechanical properties to 6061-T6, and is used where ultimate strength and durability outweigh cost considerations.

Still seems just a bit salty when I can buy a complete Mega Machine monolithic upper made out of 7075 for just $100 more.

That leveling screw is a nice touch though. I wonder if they have patented that. Would be easy to do on many of the mounts on the market.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
The Aero isn't exactly hinged, there is a tear drop shaped flange that fits in the opposing side. The opposing side that receives that flange only has to spread for the mount to break.
Agree completely, but still I think the Geissele ring is tougher.

I don't use mounts this expensive on all my rifles, but my NightForce scopes deserve something solid like a Geissele, Scalarworks, etc.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to optics & mounts. But sweet Jesus that mount is gorgeous.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
I have one of their mounts for an MRO on my DD. They are amazing and very close to return to zero.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post