SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scalarworks scope mount - Best design ever?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scalarworks scope mount - Best design ever? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I will be getting a Unity Tactical 1.930” high 30mm mount when they come out this fall. I sold my Geissele and not sold on some things about the Scalarworks.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I had a couple questions...

1) How is the mount torqued to the rail? It looks like it uses thumb wheels to apply the torque. Makes me wonder how much clamping force it has.

2) Does it have any recoil lugs to engage the rail slots?

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:

1) How is the mount torqued to the rail? It looks like it uses thumb wheels to apply the torque. Makes me wonder how much clamping force it has.

I dont know how much clamping force it has but my RMR mount with single thumb wheel didnt move on a SCAR 17 or Marlin 1894 in 45-70

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:

The thumb wheels are how it is tightened. Not sure of the total torque force, but it has a mechanism to prevent it from loosening. The mount is very snug when tightened.

The thumb-wheel shafts serve as the recoil lugs as they go across the rail and are sized for a tight fit. The red-dot mounts have one lug (one thumb wheel) and the scope mounts have two. I could not find a good picture of the underside of the scope mount, but this picture of the underside of a red dot mount gives you the idea:

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t see how the Scalar mount can be rigidly clamped to the picatinney rail with its tiny thumb wheel screws. It’s just not possible compared to a properly torqued mount.

While it has some novel features, I’m not compelled to buy it over Geissele, Spuhr, or Nightforce.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The guys at Alabama Arsenal have a pretty good YouTube video on it...showed up on my feed earlier...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VBuo2gCV82w

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
While it has some novel features, I’m not compelled to buy it over Geissele, Spuhr, or Nightforce.

+1

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think it's a novel approach, but it's new, expensive, and as I get older spending an hour getting a scope just right on a rifle is no big deal, because I rarely move stuff anymore.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
I’m not compelled to buy it over Geissele, Spuhr, or Nightforce.

I didnt see the QD options for the above mentioned, can you forward me the link?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I think it's a novel approach, but it's new, expensive, and as I get older spending an hour getting a scope just right on a rifle is no big deal, because I rarely move stuff anymore.

I resemble that remark ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Found one for 300.00 shipped, got it inbound for anew AR10 build.

Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I received an email from Scalarworks that they just released their first flip-to-side magnifier mount that pairs perfectly with their red-dot mount.

I am not in the market for one, and I am sure it is expensive, but I am also sure it is very nicely made.

It is nice to see a small company expanding their offerings but still keeping everything high quality.

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post

Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
What makes sense to me on a scope ring/base is a small tolerance deviation, small displacements/deformation due to ring/base torque as well as sufficient clamp load to keep it coming loose. Maybe low thermal expansion would be beneficial as well (aluminum moves @2x as much as steel).
Initially this design does not sell me on any of these points. Of course maybe they have a bad ass machining center and all work is done in a temperature and humidity controlled room. Odds are, if they invested in that cost scope mounts aren't that profitable...well unless they are $400 each.
7075 aluminum has higher tensile strength than 6061 and is generally a better material, but unless you are using higher grade materials on the fasteners and higher torque it's really doing nothing for you unless you are worried about fatigue. Steel would be better (at the sacrifice of weight). I have never experienced a fatigue failure of a scope ring/base so I can't see 7075 making a difference.
So if I think about co-linearity or concentricity of the rear "circle" to the the forward "circle"...a hinged pin is not the way I'd prefer to do it. The same goes with these circles relationship to the rail. I'm willing to bet if you put in a lapping rod, there is a fair bit of uneven wear. I mean, you don't see hinged connecting rod caps on race car engines, do you?
I mean, it looks cool and if it makes you happy, then go for it.

Best Design Ever? Change my mind.

Personally, I'd spend my money on some steel rings, a torque wrench and lap them in.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I enjoy perusing "Sigforum" - because unlike many other forums, Sigforum members seem to be real gun people that do a lot of shooting and are very knowledgeable.

I suspect many members are like me and closer to "middle-age" and are at the point in their life when they have tried many guns, many scopes, accessories, etc. The kids may be out of the house and maybe they have more disposable income for their hobby.

It was here that I first read glowing reports about the FN SCAR rifle - in particular the SCAR 17 in .308

At that time, I had invested a LOT of money in custom M14 type rifle's, Like LRB, USGI era Springfield M1A's and so forth. My M14 type rifles shoot great, are very reliable, and are wonderful rifles.

I did NOT want to like the SCAR 17. I did NOT want to pay almost $3k for a new platform, $300 for a Geiselle trigger and of course new proprietary mags at $40/each.

But continuing to read glowing reports here praising the rifle and after handling one at my local gun store and feeling how amazingly light it felt compared to my M14 type rifles, or my FAL's or My G3 rifles, I bought one.

After shooting sub-moa groups at 100 yards the first time at the range with no other mods than the Geissele trigger, I became a believer!

I now own multiple SCAR 17's and 16's. They are fantastic weapons and IMHO there is NOTHING in .308 that can compare to the lightweight and modularity/accuracy/reliability as the SCAR 17.

What I did NOT do is bash the SCAR rifle before I went out and shot one for myself.

I am not a shill for Scalarworks, I am just a customer. But I OWN and USE Spuhr, Geissele, LaRue, ADM, Leupold, Bobro, (and I am sure other brands I am forgetting) scope mounts. I really like the Scalarworks mount and they have some unique design features no one else has. Is it the "best ever?" Well that is a superlative completely dependent on what your needs and budget are. And don't misunderstand, I have had no problems with my other scope mounts and like them as well. My Spuhr QD mount is built super heavy duty. I like the built-in level. If I wanted the toughest mount I could get that could take being thrown out of a truck or something, the Spuhr is probably "tougher" than the Scalarworks. The Spuhr is DEFINITELY heavier!

I appreciate valid criticism of any product that we may be tempted to spend our hard-earned money on, but PLEASE at least borrow one or rent one or somehow test one before being negative about something. I don't care if it is a gun, an accessory, a particular vendor, whatever. Share your honest assessment and opinion after you have actually gotten some experience with the product.

Cheers,

i8mtm

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I dont if its the best,I doubt its the strongest.

I do know if Im looking for a lightweight and QD ount, Scalarworks is my first stop. Ive been using them for a couple years and have 0 complaints.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by i8mtm:
I appreciate valid criticism of any product that we may be tempted to spend our hard-earned money on, but PLEASE at least borrow one or rent one or somehow test one before being negative about something. I don't care if it is a gun, an accessory, a particular vendor, whatever. Share your honest assessment and opinion after you have actually gotten some experience with the product.

I'll let the precision/steel/tactical shooting community's actions speak. This is a group of competitors that aren't afraid to spend money. Bolt action rifles often have $4k to $5k in components, with another $3k in optics. Many shooters have multiple rifles for competition. Plus maybe .223 Remy and/or .22lr as trainers, costing just as much as their competition rifles. Add a ELR rifle or two, with a cost that's even greater than that of the competition rifles. Scopes are being swapped among rifles on a regular basis, for various reasons.

Add a few suppressors, all of which will cost over $1k. Range finder binos of $2k to $3k, along with a monocular rangefinder such as a Terrapin. Tripods that cost $1,000 or even $1,500. There's now a push on bipod evolution, as the $300 Atlas is considered getting a little long in the tooth. Its competitors are in the $400 to $500 ballpark.

And let's not forget that bolt action guys usually have a few (or more than a few) semi-autos, too.

The better competitors often shoot more than 10k rounds per year. A component or device or technique the gives them the edge will be jumped on like white on rice. And if that item shows at least a perceive advantage for a better competitor, it will flow through the ranks like water.

I have never seen a Scalarworks mount on a competitor's rifle or heard of anyone talk of one. Both for bolt actions and semi-autos. The usual suspects of one-piece mounts and tradition rings are out there, however. Who knows what the best design ever is.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard great things about Scalarworks for years. I’ve been planning to get one of their mounts for whatever next optic I buy. I have a couple of Aimpoint Micros and an ACOG, all have LaRue mounts on them so it doesn’t make sense to buy anything new.

I do have a lightweight CMMG Guard that could use an RMR to keep the weight down.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by i8mtm:

I'll let the precision/steel/tactical shooting community's actions speak. This is a group of competitors that aren't afraid to spend money. Bolt action rifles often have $4k to $5k in components, with another $3k in optics. Many shooters have multiple rifles for competition. Plus maybe .223 Remy and/or .22lr as trainers, costing just as much as their competition rifles. Add a ELR rifle or two, with a cost that's even greater than that of the competition rifles. Scopes are being swapped among rifles on a regular basis, for various reasons.

Add a few suppressors, all of which will cost over $1k. Range finder binos of $2k to $3k, along with a monocular rangefinder such as a Terrapin. Tripods that cost $1,000 or even $1,500. There's now a push on bipod evolution, as the $300 Atlas is considered getting a little long in the tooth. Its competitors are in the $400 to $500 ballpark.

And let's not forget that bolt action guys usually have a few (or more than a few) semi-autos, too.

The better competitors often shoot more than 10k rounds per year. A component or device or technique the gives them the edge will be jumped on like white on rice. And if that item shows at least a perceive advantage for a better competitor, it will flow through the ranks like water.

I have never seen a Scalarworks mount on a competitor's rifle or heard of anyone talk of one. Both for bolt actions and semi-autos. The usual suspects of one-piece mounts and tradition rings are out there, however. Who knows what the best design ever is.

Different purpose entirely. I understand what you're saying, but this mount wasnt designed or built for that. You dont see the same components at benchrest matches as you do prs matches. Best mount ever is subjective. When you're counting ounces, they've been hard to best in my experience.

posted Hide Post
Unity Tactical will be coming out with a 1.930”
scope mount this fall. See a proto-type of it at 6:15 in the video below.

https://youtu.be/CS6u6edVBMc

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post