SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scalarworks scope mount - Best design ever?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scalarworks scope mount - Best design ever? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I will be getting a Unity Tactical 1.930” high 30mm mount when they come out this fall. I sold my Geissele and not sold on some things about the Scalarworks.

Posts: 263 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I had a couple questions...

1) How is the mount torqued to the rail? It looks like it uses thumb wheels to apply the torque. Makes me wonder how much clamping force it has.

2) Does it have any recoil lugs to engage the rail slots?

Posts: 4968 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:

1) How is the mount torqued to the rail? It looks like it uses thumb wheels to apply the torque. Makes me wonder how much clamping force it has.

I dont know how much clamping force it has but my RMR mount with single thumb wheel didnt move on a SCAR 17 or Marlin 1894 in 45-70

Posts: 7340 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:

The thumb wheels are how it is tightened. Not sure of the total torque force, but it has a mechanism to prevent it from loosening. The mount is very snug when tightened.

The thumb-wheel shafts serve as the recoil lugs as they go across the rail and are sized for a tight fit. The red-dot mounts have one lug (one thumb wheel) and the scope mounts have two. I could not find a good picture of the underside of the scope mount, but this picture of the underside of a red dot mount gives you the idea:

Posts: 409 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t see how the Scalar mount can be rigidly clamped to the picatinney rail with its tiny thumb wheel screws. It’s just not possible compared to a properly torqued mount.

While it has some novel features, I’m not compelled to buy it over Geissele, Spuhr, or Nightforce.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 1957 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
The guys at Alabama Arsenal have a pretty good YouTube video on it...showed up on my feed earlier...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VBuo2gCV82w

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 9515 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
While it has some novel features, I’m not compelled to buy it over Geissele, Spuhr, or Nightforce.

+1

Posts: 5949 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think it's a novel approach, but it's new, expensive, and as I get older spending an hour getting a scope just right on a rifle is no big deal, because I rarely move stuff anymore.

Posts: 42226 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
I’m not compelled to buy it over Geissele, Spuhr, or Nightforce.

I didnt see the QD options for the above mentioned, can you forward me the link?

Posts: 7340 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I think it's a novel approach, but it's new, expensive, and as I get older spending an hour getting a scope just right on a rifle is no big deal, because I rarely move stuff anymore.

I resemble that remark ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 4985 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post