SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    keltec ksg?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

keltec ksg? Login/Join 
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted
I was at my local shop looking at possible shotguns and the owner suggested a keltec ksg. The thing is just plain cool looking, but looks aside is it any good? A quick google search suggests to me that keltec isn't known for their quality. What say the sigforum brain trust?

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Some have them and love them. I wouldn't waste my money. I worked on one awhile ago. Guy wanted it cerakoted as well. So many shitty plastic parts holding it together and not really meant to be taken apart for it. Not likely relavant to you that you woule be dealing with that, but overall build and quality was junk imo.

With that said, if its another fun gun for you and you like it then go for it. Whats your intended role for a new shotgun? For fun, defense, because your tax return is extra nice and want to fill the safe?

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I used to have one.
I bought it to use as a home defense gun.
However after a few range trips I discovered it was not up to the task.
The quality issues introduced enough finickyness to it that it simply was not reliable enough to use in a high-stress situation.

If your interest in it is for "range toy" - then go nuts! It was a damn fun gun to have.
But if you're planning on it for serious use like I was..... I'd suggest to go elsewhere.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I just saw your in hawaii as well. How are the laws regarding mag capacity and shotguns if its detachable? Treated the same as any other mag? If that was the case I'd probably still lean towards the 500 or 870 dm models for hd if I lived in hawaii knowing an ar would be neutered down big time. If semi, then I'd go benelli m2 or m4 and never look back.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not had any issues with mine. I'm on my 2nd one (someone on another forum wanted my first one really badly and made an insane offer) and to date it hasn't had a single malfunction with a mix of birdshot (80%) & slugs/buckshot (20%) of approximately 300rds fired. I don't understand the statement that the gun wasn't really made to be taken apart...it can be taken down to its basic parts like any other shotgun. As far as taking the trigger/hammer assembly down to individual parts, well yes it's not recommended just like Remington doesn't recommend the 870/1100 trigger assembly to be completely disassembled.

IMO it's a very functional slide action shotgun and also very fun to shoot. It is very lightweight and I can tell you that slugs are very uncomfortable to shoot. Prices have come way down with used prices around 550-650.00 which is much better than when they first came out (1500+) and when they had the majority of issues (gen 1, they are now on gen 2.5). If you have the ability to "try before you buy" then that's the way to go to make a decision that makes you happy.

FG42 Type G, Ruger GSR, P250 Compact 9mm w/45ACP Compact conversion, H&K VP9 & other cool stuff.

100% disabled veteran

Posts: 696 | Location: central NC | Registered: March 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one and liked it in the spacey gun way. It was very reliable and held a metric ton of ammo. With that said the manual of arms is slower should you actually run out which isn't terribly likely mind you. I ended up selling it for about what I paid and recently picked up a 1897 Winchester with an 18.5 barrel.

I am in love with the Winchester and don't even like shotguns much. It fits in a back pack when taken down, holds a good capacity and is just classic cool. The Keltec is fine and if you want it buy it but I agree on parts that atleast didn't inspire confidence though they always worked, they just didn't have that large block of steel feel of other guns.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
With that said, if its another fun gun for you and you like it then go for it. Whats your intended role for a new shotgun? For fun, defense, because your tax return is extra nice and want to fill the safe?

Just for fun.

quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
I just saw your in hawaii as well. How are the laws regarding mag capacity and shotguns if its detachable? Treated the same as any other mag? If that was the case I'd probably still lean towards the 500 or 870 dm models for hd if I lived in hawaii knowing an ar would be neutered down big time. If semi, then I'd go benelli m2 or m4 and never look back.

I'm pretty sure we can have high caps for rifles and shotguns. The owner of my local shop was trying to tell me that its a gray area though. I don't know if I believe him. But he may be right.

Thanks guys for the input!

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and like it. It is fun to have but probably not the first gun I would use in a home defense situation. I have a second gen. shotty which is said to have some of the problems worked out. They are getting pretty cheap right now,around $600.00,which is quite a bit less than I paid for mine years ago. Does it do anything special that any other shotgun can't do? No, other than the obvious capacity and being compact but it is a fun gun. There is a newer version out that almost doubles the capacity of the standard ksg but man is it ungainly and odd looking.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post