SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Can I get some recommendations for a scope, rings and base for a Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle in 223?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I get some recommendations for a scope, rings and base for a Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle in 223? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
Plan to use this just for paper punching at ~100 yards. Doubt I'd go further, but it would be nice to have that option someday. Thanks in advance!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My boss just put a Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 on a Tikka .243

Really crisp glass (from a quick unmounted look through it in the office) and a decent price $230 MSRP. He'd ordered some Burris Zee Signature rings, but mistakenly ordered 30mm rings,so he returned those & mounted it on a pair of Leupold rings.

A bit more $$, but I love the Nikon Monarch 4-20x50 I have on my 270, but probably a bit overkill for 100yd paper punching.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a rem700 in 223 and I put a DNZ (deadnutz) game reaper on my rifle, I use a Nikon P223 scope. And only use the bullets specified for the scope

I also put one on my rem 700 in 243, but it wears a Shepard Scope (P1- I think) and I only use a 95 grain SMK.

Very pleased with the scope mounts

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me personally for that situation would buy the best 10x fixed scope I could find. Used I'd look for one of the Leupold M4 ones. But new ones are available from a couple of people. I haven't owned one but I hear the SWFA one is quite good.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Leupold, Burris, Redfield, or any other quality steel base for the mounts. Leupold scopes are hard to beat for the combination of price, quality, and warranty. If it ever breaks, send it back for a comparable direct replacement.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vortex PST 5-25
pick your favorite focal plane and reticle

Badger Ordnance 30mm Unimount
Badger Ordnance base

Way too much for just 100 yards but plenty if you want to go farther.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, fellas!

I'm trying to determine how much I'll be using this and balance cost/value into the equation. Some suggestions sound great, but not practical for me from the cost stand point.

Anyone else?

I get the impression a mid-range Nikon might be the best bang for the buck?

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the ideas, fellas.

Here's what I decided to get:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/nik...__SID=U#.W50zIC3Myb8

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...e-base-remington-700

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...uct-description-link

Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I have two AR-15's with the Nikon P223 3x9x40mm scope on them. They work really well and they have adjustable turrets that are easy to set when you are zeroed.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Not for .223, but I went with a Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC 800 for my .308 bolt action rifle. I’m not a long distance shooter, but very pleased with it at 100 yards. Had it out to 300 yards once and consistently hit a 10-inch steel plate.

I think about a .223 bolt action rifle from time to time, and the scope you decided on may very well be the scope I go with.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SWFA scopes are super excellent for the price, including the high end ones. Not light, but very robust. I have two of their HD glass scopes, I really like them.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Sighted in last week. Everything worked out great.

https://imgur.com/a/nSgimd2